My Glasgow mobile phone app.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

My Glasgow mobile phone app.

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:38 am

My Glasgow is a mobile phone app that enables you to report issues to Glasgow City Council. You can attach photos, video or any other contextual information to your report and pin point the exact location via integration with Google Maps. Once submitted your report is routed to Glasgow City Council for processing and allocation to the relevant Service Delivery Team.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ouncil.app

FEATURES
There are many features to My Glasgow
- Submit a report.
- Receive information about your submitted report by SMS, push notification or email.
- View your submitted reports.
- Add notes to existing reports.
- News and events.
- Search for Council facilities near to your current location.
- View local information, e.g. council tax bands, planning applications, jobs, etc.
- Integrated help.

WHAT ISSUES CAN YOU REPORT?
You can submit reports for issues such as;
- Missed bin collection
- Broken parking meter
- Illegal fly posting
- Parking meter
- A broken street light
- Graffiti
- Pot holes
- Illegal dumping of waste
- Dog fouling

HOW DO YOU SUBMIT A REPORT?
To submit a report you must capture certain information.

Select the category of the report.
- Complete the questions.
- Capture the evidence, either a photo or video.
- Enter the location.
- Submit the report.

CONTACT US
If you have any enquiries please contact the 'My Glasgow' Team at [email protected] or visit us at http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: My Glasgow mobile phone app.

Postby Sharon » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:57 am

Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:17 pm

That is an excellent idea.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:19 pm

I believe there are a couple of glitches in the registration process but 1) they're being addressed and 2) you can still register.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:01 pm

Could be very handy indeed.

I've just used it to report a road drain (the actual carrier pipe, not the gully pot at the roadside) that is obviously completely choked as it has been constantly spewing out water (a trickle in dry weather; a fountain in wet weather) for at least the last two years. I've reported it a few times through the RALF line over that period and no action has ever resulted from it - let's see if I get a better response this time.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:50 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:Could be very handy indeed.

I've just used it to report a road drain (the actual carrier pipe, not the gully pot at the roadside) that is obviously completely choked as it has been constantly spewing out water (a trickle in dry weather; a fountain in wet weather) for at least the last two years. I've reported it a few times through the RALF line over that period and no action has ever resulted from it - let's see if I get a better response this time.

You gotta be kidding Steve, in my experience of the water board the water has to be gushing 60 foot in the air before you get a response from them and even then its slow, so I wouldn`t hold my breath on a response there.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:48 am

scaryman2u wrote:

You gotta be kidding Steve, in my experience of the water board the water has to be gushing 60 foot in the air before you get a response from them and even then its slow, so I wouldn`t hold my breath on a response there.

I work for the 'water board' so I should probably be offended by that, but then I work on the 'dirty water' side rather than the 'clean water' side so who cares :D. Not that it's really true though, as our leakage targets mean we are striving to deal with bursts (both large and small) as quickly as possible - obviously the larger bursts will be given priority as they 'leak' more.

Anyway, road drains are the responsibility of GCC's Land & Environmental Services dept - nothing to do with Scottish Water. Chances are I could probably deal with the problem myself but it's not that big an issue (and why should I anyway?).
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:24 am

Glesga_Steve wrote:
scaryman2u wrote:

I work for the 'water board' so I should probably be offended by that, but then I work on the 'dirty water' side rather than the 'clean water' side so who cares :D. Not that it's really true though, as our leakage targets mean we are striving to deal with bursts (both large and small) as quickly as possible - obviously the larger bursts will be given priority as they 'leak' more.

Anyway, road drains are the responsibility of GCC's Land & Environmental Services dept - nothing to do with Scottish Water. Chances are I could probably deal with the problem myself but it's not that big an issue (and why should I anyway?).

Steve my post was not intended to be a personal post to yourself, more an overall slant on how the water board deal with things, don`t be offended by what I say, but on the other hand you say " who cares", well I do!!!! and so should you as its taxpayers money running down the drain so to speak and your attitude reflects what I said and your response says it all. Whilst you say the targets etc will be dealt with, most folk on here will tell you that there are umpteen roads with small or large leakages that have been ongoing for several years and are being totally ignored.I work in demolition and could not tell you the last time if ever that the water board turned the water off for me I usually just find the `toby` and do it myself or bend the copper or alkathene pipes. To your last point `why should you` ... because you have a duty of care to the public, your attitude stinks mate like your sewers.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:52 am

scaryman2u wrote:
Glesga_Steve wrote:
scaryman2u wrote:

Steve my post was not intended to be a personal post to yourself, more an overall slant on how the water board deal with things, don`t be offended by what I say, but on the other hand you say " who cares", well I do!!!! and so should you as its taxpayers money running down the drain so to speak and your attitude reflects what I said and your response says it all. Whilst you say the targets etc will be dealt with, most folk on here will tell you that there are umpteen roads with small or large leakages that have been ongoing for several years and are being totally ignored.I work in demolition and could not tell you the last time if ever that the water board turned the water off for me I usually just find the `toby` and do it myself or bend the copper or alkathene pipes. To your last point `why should you` ... because you have a duty of care to the public, your attitude stinks mate like your sewers.

I didn't take your previous post as having any sort of personal reference to myself, nor was I wasn't offended by it. Your second post, however, is a completely different story - I'm not so much offended by it as pissed off that someone who knows fuck all about me(, my attitude to work or my commitment to providing an excellent service to any customers that I have cause to deal with in carrying out my job) feels suitably placed to pass personal comment on me.

To start with, I hardly think that someone who seems unable to differentiate between Glasgow City Council and Scottish Water, and the respective water/drainage services they are responsible for, is 'qualified' to pass informed judgement on the standard of service provision in this areas.

My "who cares, smiley face, everything is good" comment was intended to demonstrate a 'we're good, no argument developing here' point of view rather than a 'Who cares about service defects unless I'm personally responsible for them' attitude - I'd have thought that anyone other than a complete fuckwit would have picked up that was the intended 'vibe'.

Putting aside your claims about small and large leakages for a moment, have you ever heard of the concept of economic level of leakage? To put it simply, there comes a point where a water company (and it depends on the company, as the cost of collecting raw water, conveying it to a treatment facility, treating it, distributing it, etc varies from area to area - in Scotland it is relatively cheap because we have a plentiful supply of the wet stuff and have a fairly well inter-connected distribution network) eventually drives down leakage to a level where it actually costs more to find and repair bursts (certainly the ones at the smaller end of the scale) than it does to 'supply' the water being lost. Scottish Water hasn't managed to get leakage down to the ELL yet, however year-on-year leakage targets (set by the Government in conjunction with our regulators and other 'stakeholders' - I hate that word btw) have been set with an aim of progressively reaching our ELL - the last time I had a look at our performance levels, which was quite recently, we had been outperforming our leakage targets for the last few years and are doing so again this year (and that's despite going through two of the worst winters of recent decades, which increased bursts and leakage by a great deal more than had been expected/planned for).

You might think that the above is a crock of shit and I'm simply 'at it' (I'm not - I'm 90% certain you could probably do a bit of Googling and find info that supports my claims re our leakage performance) and trying to defend my employer (I'm not - they're far from perfect, there's many things I'm personally unhappy with from a customer service perspective, and a heck of a lot of things could be improved in my view) so I propose we test your view on how bad Scottish Water's leakage performance is. I suggest you (or get someone else to do it for you) report one (or more, as many as you like in fact!) of these large leakages that have been running for years to our contact centre (0845 601 8855) and ask them for the Service Request number that is allocated to your 'complaint' - you can then post the SR number(s) on here for all to see, along with the basic details (i.e. location; a photo of the burst; any other info you think is useful) of the burst(s). I'll then periodically check the SR(s) progress by logging onto our complaint system and will post on here to say when it/they have been repaired. Does that sound fair enough?

As for your comment re my attitude and how it stinks, I can assure you that you are way off.

On your specific point re the choked road drain, I have no public duty of care to deal with that problem - that issue is categorically the responsibility of GCC and should therefore be dealt with them, hence the reason I have reported it to them on several occasions. Yes, I could probably deal with the problem myself (if I had time to twiddle my thumbs due to not having enough work of my own to do - if fucking only!!) but there is absolutely no (justifiable) reason why I should.

On the wider point re my attitude, I take umbrage at your insinuation that I don't care about my work or Scottish Water's customers - I regularly do work in my own time (working late in the office or at weekends), often to the detriment of my own family's quality of life. For example, when the heavy rain hit the north of Glasgow (and the surrounding suburbs of East Dun) two weeks ago (Wed 4th), I was on a short break down in Ayrshire with my wife and two daughters for a few days. I received a call at about 7pm from a close colleague who (also in his own time, as he's every bit as dedicated as me) was trying to get around as many places as possible that he knew/suspected would be at risk of sewer flooding based on previous experience / knowledge - despite my wife's protestations (and the silent treatment I knew I would get the next day), I jumped in my car and went back to Glasgow so I could help him by going around as many places in Maryhill, Ruchill, Possilpark, Cadder, Milton, Springburn, Bishopbriggs, etc (that was me - my colleague concentrated more on the east end) as we could in order to report any issues to our contact centre, help co-ordinate/prioritise Scottish Water's response, provide advice/assistance to affected customers, take photographs, etc. No-one asked us to do that and we won't get any reward or thanks for it (at least, certainly not any thanks from Scottish Water), however we made the decision to do that that evening (as we have on countless other days/evening/nights over the last two decades) because we know that customers (for some reason or another) have a habit of not reporting flooding (or instead report it to GCC, who not only fail to refer the people/complaint to Scottish Water but even fail to respond in any way) - despite the fact we don't actually receive complaints about these issues, we feel that Scottish Water/we should strive to identify/deal with these issues anyway. You go and ask the people who we visited/helped that night (and some of whom we have since visited again to discuss the problem - we'll get around the rest in the coming weeks) what they think about my attitude and my commitment to my work - it won't be anything like your 'opinion', I can guarantee you that!

This week I'm going to have to go out to Airdrie (in the evening, again in my own time) because the local MSP (Alex Neil - who happens to be the Minister who is responsible for Scottish Water) has received complaints about a serious sewer flooding issue and my Director was looking for a 'volunteer' (with knowledge of the cause of the problem, what is required to resolve it, etc) to go out and speak to the affected customers. I offered to go because (a) I fit the required criteria and (b) I strongly feel the customers deserve to have someone come out and speak to them directly on the subject at a time that suits them (i.e. in the evening so they don't have to take time off work). To do this, however, I'm either going to lose an evening with my wife and kids or, if my wife happens to be working that evening, have my folks (who, coincidentally, happen to live in Airdrie) look after my daughters while I'm at the meeting. While the affected customers might not be happy at what I have to tell them (the necessary sewer upgrading work are unaffordable during Scottish Water's current investment period), I'm pretty sure they will at least appreciate that I will have taken the time to go out and meet them and answer any questions they may have.

I'd be pretty confident that no-one on here is as committed to their work as I am - that's not a slur btw, as I don't have any problem with the view (that is often expressed to my by family / friends / colleagues) that you should only be expected to do what you're paid for.

While we're on the subject of duty of care btw, demolition companies are one of the banes of my working life. Most of them are bloody cowboys who end up causing (by failing to cap dis-used drainage connections or dislodging manhole covers/frames) a lot of demolition material to make its way into the sewerage system, thereby resulting in blockages which inevitably result in people experiencing sewer flooding or backing up into their homes so they can't use their drainage facilities. How about you take care of your own house before you go criticising others quality of work (see, I can pass comment on your attitude without knowing anything about you as well).

RANT OVER!!
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:53 am

It's saddening to see the old 'it's not my job' arguments are still raising their heads.

If this app does nothing more than make it easier to report issues more quickly and more accurately - that'll be a good start. I don't doubt it'll still be necessary for individuals and organisations to keep jumping up and down on councillors' heads but at least nobody will be able to say 'ah didnae ken'.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:58 am

The Egg Man wrote:It's saddening to see the old 'it's not my job' arguments are still raising their heads.

If this app does nothing more than make it easier to report issues more quickly and more accurately - that'll be a good start. I don't doubt it'll still be necessary for individuals and organisations to keep jumping up and down on councillors' heads but at least nobody will be able to say 'ah didnae ken'.

AND YOU CAN FUCK OFF AS WELL TEM - ANOTHER TOSSER WHO KNOWS SOD ALL ABOUT ME!
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:04 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:It's saddening to see the old 'it's not my job' arguments are still raising their heads.

AND YOU CAN FUCK OFF AS WELL TEM - ANOTHER TOSSER WHO KNOWS SOD ALL ABOUT ME!

Thank you for that Glesga_Steve. It's good to know some things don't change.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:11 pm

The Egg Man wrote:Thank you for that Glesga_Steve. It's good to know some things don't change.

Aye, tossers rarely change their spots.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:50 pm

I got GS's point. So should you have, TEM.

Draw a line here unless you have a valid point to make.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:32 pm

agreed ---------------------------------------------------------- done.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)