Part time policing?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Part time policing?

Postby RDR » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:22 am

If, as is claimed, in the article about Lincolnshire police, the redundnacies were always planned, then G4S is surely breaching the TUPE regs (you know those difficult regs to protect workers transfered between companies that the condems want to get rid off).
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm

I can't claim that the contingent of Strathclyde's Finest in attendance at this afternoon's demo in Buchanan St is in any way representative of the force as a whole but there did seem to be rather a lot of newish recruits, some probably not yet in their 20s, short in stature, slim of build and mainly female. Swift of foot no doubt but strong of arm?

At the other end of the scale there also seemed to be a lot of guys getting close to their pension (I wouldn't actually go as far as saying their old age pension) and not exactly looking the picture of vigour. Each could probably drop a ne'er do well with a single blow - if they could catch them.

Keeping People Safe? Let's hope so.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:42 pm

The Egg Man wrote:I can't claim that the contingent of Strathclyde's Finest in attendance at this afternoon's demo in Buchanan St is in any way representative of the force as a whole but there did seem to be rather a lot of newish recruits, some probably not yet in their 20s, short in stature, slim of build and mainly female. Swift of foot no doubt but strong of arm?

At the other end of the scale there also seemed to be a lot of guys getting close to their pension (I wouldn't actually go as far as saying their old age pension) and not exactly looking the picture of vigour. Each could probably drop a ne'er do well with a single blow - if they could catch them.

Keeping People Safe? Let's hope so.

I'd be very surprised if anyone under the age of 20 is employed as a 'fully trained' (what's the correct term?) police officer.

Even assuming the police service recruitment policies have been relaxed in recent years (wasn't it almost a pre-requisite that you had to have a reasonable amount of 'life'/'work' experience before they'd even seriously consider an application?), how would someone make it through training and into their probationary period before the age of 20?
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:35 am

Glesga_Steve wrote:I'd be very surprised if anyone under the age of 20 is employed as a 'fully trained' (what's the correct term?) police officer.

Even assuming the police service recruitment policies have been relaxed in recent years (wasn't it almost a pre-requisite that you had to have a reasonable amount of 'life'/'work' experience before they'd even seriously consider an application?), how would someone make it through training and into their probationary period before the age of 20?

Absolutely not. You used to be able to join the police at 16 (with a couple of O-Grades), via the Police Cadets, graduating to a fully-fledged Police Officer at 18.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:15 am

I know that Strathclyde are having a recruitment drive at the moment.
Don't know if that is to bring the numbers up before the unified force comes into being.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:02 pm

From what I read it looks as if the earliest you can enrol in formal police training is at the start of the first course after your 18th birthday and it's a 2 year course so every warranted police office must be at least 20 years old.

There are chunks of the training which is described as 'Division' which I take to be the equivalent of classroom work for student teachers or ward work for student nurses. That probably means that some of the younger officers I saw yesterday hadn't actually completed their two years training but were on the street anyway.

Anyway, the point I'd been trying to make was that some of them looked very young - young enough to have their age checked in an 18 entry bar.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:52 pm

The Egg Man wrote:From what I read it looks as if the earliest you can enrol in formal police training is at the start of the first course after your 18th birthday and it's a 2 year course so every warranted police office must be at least 20 years old.

There are chunks of the training which is described as 'Division' which I take to be the equivalent of classroom work for student teachers or ward work for student nurses. That probably means that some of the younger officers I saw yesterday hadn't actually completed their two years training but were on the street anyway.

Anyway, the point I'd been trying to make was that some of them looked very young - young enough to have their age checked in an 18 entry bar.

Isn't it an age thing?
All the hospital consultants look younger than me now (actually they are!)
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:18 pm

Kind of off-topic, but do some police go about in dirtbike\speedway bikes now on the quiet cycleways? Spotted it in Port Dundas. Spotted it at Yoker a few months back. Police I witnessed were never over 25. Never in a million years.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:26 pm

that is correct.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Morroccomole » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:18 am

Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Morroccomole
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Doug » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:58 am

Ah would rather see part time polis than nae polis at all
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby pingu » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:14 pm

id rather have no criminals than part time criminals :D
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:24 pm

The Herald finally smells the coffee.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/ ... e.19093162

"Police stations facing axe.

SCORES of police stations will face closure as a result of budget cuts being considered by Scotland's new single force, Labour have claimed.

A leaked document by officers planning the new force reveals plans to cut the police estates budget by 20%.

The report, seen by The Herald, says the £56 million annual budget for buildings maintenance and running costs will be cut by 10% "in the first instance" and by 20% after three years."

Perhaps more worryingly; if you read the above in conjunction with the Evening Times article on housebreaking in the West End of Glasgow, precisely the area most affected by the proposed closures at Anderston and Partick Police Offices, it just beggars belief that anyone could think the closures are wise.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/poli ... n.19072778
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:42 pm

Man is held over city centre raid on security van

"Police launched a major operation following the robbery outside a Lloyds TSB cash machine in St Vincent Street last night.

The search focused on the Anderston and Finnieston areas, close to Cranstonhill police station.

..............................."

A police station which will be closed at that time of night if the proposed changes to hours go ahead.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/man- ... n.19376067
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:42 pm

The Egg Man wrote:...................................

There are clearly more Glasgow Community and Safety Services (GCSS) patrols than a few years back,.......... .

Community Enforcement Initiative - One Ward! All Wards!

It is GCSS’ intention over the next 3 months to provide additional focus on each and every ward in Glasgow, to address local issues identified by local people.

In general, GCSS will focus on the following:

1. Enforcement of littering and dog fouling legislation
2. Community Intelligence gathering regarding graffiti, drinking dens, fly posting, antisocial behaviour and littering around Schools.
3. Community reassurance and improved visibility.

However, should you wish GCSS to look at any particular area/issues within your ward please advise GCSS in order that we can incorporate it into our action plans.

It is our intention to deploy most of GCSS Community Enforcement Officers into your ward to address these issues, and in addition, GCSS Neighbourhood Improvement Services (NEIS) will carry out additional clean ups in hot spot areas within your ward.

Your local councillor(s) will know when your Ward is being targetted. If you have hot spots needing attention - let them know.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)