Part time policing?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Part time policing?

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:38 pm

Isolated examples?

Anecdotal evidence suggests they ain't so isolated.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:49 pm

It turns out not only are police offices being closed in preparation for sell-off, the 101 number we're told to use instead costs 15p per call.

The thin end of the wedge?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:08 pm

As predicted, first it was police offices, now it's command centres.

"Police Scotland has proposed reducing the number of control rooms it operates across the country.

The force wants to close its control rooms in Aberdeen, Stirling, Dumfries, Glenrothes and Pitt Street in Glasgow."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-25881314
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:21 pm

The Egg Man wrote:As predicted, first it was police offices, now it's command centres.

"Police Scotland has proposed reducing the number of control rooms it operates across the country.

The force wants to close its control rooms in Aberdeen, Stirling, Dumfries, Glenrothes and Pitt Street in Glasgow."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-25881314

Pitt Street is all but gone. Forensics are moving out to Gartcosh and the control will be merged with Helen Street after the Commonwealth Games. Its already decided.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:39 pm

I suppose they have to find a way of paying Steve House's salary.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:15 pm

Proposal for fire controls to go the same way, from 8 to 3.
In this modern age is it the right way to go?
Ambulance controls went to 3 sometime ago, are their response times any worse?
Centralisation seems to obsess this administration.....
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:23 pm

Speaking of decentralisation...

I witnessed an accident and called for an ambulance. I was asked for a description of the victim , age, gender - was he conscious, able to speak, etc. I told them it looked like he may have a serious head injury.

Only then I was asked for the location (should have been the first question in my opinion).

I was in an area fairly close to home and I described which street, in which locality and the landmarks across the road on each side. No use, said the controller, we need the address. Have you noticed how many houses/closes now no longer have a number prominently displayed? So I repeated the location as best I could, while running along the street looking for a number. The controller then told me, in the absence of a number, she needed a postcode, which I could only give as the possible first 3 digits.

All this was because, I was told, the control room was not based in Glasgow and she therefore did not know the area. But I know for a fact there is an ambulance station not far from where the accident occured. If the information had been passed to a Glasgow controller, they would have sussed the closest station and been there in no time. As it was it took ages. I never found out how the poor guy got on, but the delay was horrendous.

I'm guessing to report a crime, unless you are at home or know exactly the number of a nearby house or building, you can forget a fast response while they figure out who to send. Same for fire-engines..... 8O
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HelenD » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:45 am

I'm not encouraged. Head injuries require urgent attention. Any delay could have serious and possibly fatal consequences.
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:55 pm

ibtg wrote:Speaking of decentralisation...

I witnessed an accident and called for an ambulance. I was asked for a description of the victim , age, gender - was he conscious, able to speak, etc. I told them it looked like he may have a serious head injury.

Only then I was asked for the location (should have been the first question in my opinion).

I was in an area fairly close to home and I described which street, in which locality and the landmarks across the road on each side. No use, said the controller, we need the address. Have you noticed how many houses/closes now no longer have a number prominently displayed? So I repeated the location as best I could, while running along the street looking for a number. The controller then told me, in the absence of a number, she needed a postcode, which I could only give as the possible first 3 digits.

All this was because, I was told, the control room was not based in Glasgow and she therefore did not know the area. But I know for a fact there is an ambulance station not far from where the accident occured. If the information had been passed to a Glasgow controller, they would have sussed the closest station and been there in no time. As it was it took ages. I never found out how the poor guy got on, but the delay was horrendous.

I'm guessing to report a crime, unless you are at home or know exactly the number of a nearby house or building, you can forget a fast response while they figure out who to send. Same for fire-engines..... 8O

Interesting re Ambulance control. They do have software, as do Police control, that if you are using a mobile, can get a rough idea of your position relative to the nearest mast your phone is using. Bear in mind all Ambulances are satellite tracked as well. West of Scotland Ambulance control is based at Cardonald, North in Inverness and East at South Queensferry.
Did you mention the station name, it might have helped the dispatcher, as they do have a list of all stations.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:18 pm

HelenD wrote:I'm not encouraged. Head injuries require urgent attention. Any delay could have serious and possibly fatal consequences.

Some HGers might have missed the story about a chap who'd been seriously assaulted in the middle of the night. He managed, just, get himself to Gorbals Police Office.

Had the police office been shut, he might well have died.

More at http://news.stv.tv/west-central/247840- ... by-police/
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:46 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
HelenD wrote:I'm not encouraged. Head injuries require urgent attention. Any delay could have serious and possibly fatal consequences.

Some HGers might have missed the story about a chap who'd been seriously assaulted in the middle of the night. He managed, just, get himself to Gorbals Police Office.

Had the police office been shut, he might well have died.

More at http://news.stv.tv/west-central/247840- ... by-police/

Pedantic point I know, but they are not talking of closing most of these stations but restricting public access hours. Or to put it another way the bar will be unmanned but there will be cops in the station, its just the public won't be able to contact them, unless they phone 101 or in an emergency 999. Adds up to much the same thing I suppose.

Coming along soon I expect, especially in the old Strathclyde area, a review of Fire Stations, with amalgamations and closures.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:57 pm

RDR wrote:Proposal for fire controls to go the same way, from 8 to 3.

And the NHS is going the same way.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
RDR wrote:Proposal for fire controls to go the same way, from 8 to 3.

And the NHS is going the same way.

In Glasgow, certainly.
By some stage in 2015 the Western and Victoria Infirmary A&E will close leaving large A&Es at GRI and new SGH only.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:38 am

FBU petition against the closure and privatisation of fire and rescue services across the UK, which would include control rooms.
https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/ ... fety-first
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:41 pm

I'm convinced the plan is to amalgamate police and fire control centres.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)