Bridge at Shawfield

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Bridge at Shawfield

Postby scott125 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:02 pm

Wondering if anyone can help ? When passing Richmond Park there is a bridge on the old alignment of the Rutherglen Road in Oatlands . The Bridge seems to not to have any watercourse under it , does anyone know what the purpose of the bridge is?
scott125
First Stripe
First Stripe
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: Bridge at Shawfield

Postby bAzTNM » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:17 am

scott125 wrote:Wondering if anyone can help ? When passing Richmond Park there is a bridge on the old alignment of the Rutherglen Road in Oatlands . The Bridge seems to not to have any watercourse under it , does anyone know what the purpose of the bridge is?

Not 100% sure what it is there for, but I'm thinking Jennie's Burn (Polmadie Burn) runs underneath it and it eventually joins into the Clyde.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:12 pm

Re: Bridge at Shawfield

Postby scott125 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:18 pm

bAzTNM wrote:
scott125 wrote:Wondering if anyone can help ? When passing Richmond Park there is a bridge on the old alignment of the Rutherglen Road in Oatlands . The Bridge seems to not to have any watercourse under it , does anyone know what the purpose of the bridge is?

Not 100% sure what it is there for, but I'm thinking Jennie's Burn (Polmadie Burn) runs underneath it and it eventually joins into the Clyde.



Had a look at the map there the watercourse is in Richmond Park , there must be a piped burn . Wonder where it starts?
scott125
First Stripe
First Stripe
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: Bridge at Shawfield

Postby BTJustice » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:43 pm

If I am thinking of the same place then I took a photo from the road bridge back in 2010;

Image

Thats looking from the road towards Richmond park.

Dave
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
User avatar
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1568
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:57 pm
Location: Cathcart

Re: Bridge at Shawfield

Postby Icecube » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:07 pm

Malls Myre per chance? It runs through Richmond Park and empties into the Clyde.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Bridge at Shawfield

Postby Glesga_Steve » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:12 pm

scott125 wrote:
bAzTNM wrote:
scott125 wrote:Wondering if anyone can help ? When passing Richmond Park there is a bridge on the old alignment of the Rutherglen Road in Oatlands . The Bridge seems to not to have any watercourse under it , does anyone know what the purpose of the bridge is?

Not 100% sure what it is there for, but I'm thinking Jennie's Burn (Polmadie Burn) runs underneath it and it eventually joins into the Clyde.


Had a look at the map there the watercourse is in Richmond Park , there must be a piped burn . Wonder where it starts?

It is indeed the Polmadie Burn.

A number of burns come together to form the Polmadie Burn (it's only called that from the point where the Malls Mire Burn and West Burn join together to the south of Rutherglen Road). Most of the base flow in it originates from up towards Cathkin Braes.
User avatar
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:46 am

Re: Bridge at Shawfield

Postby scott125 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks , clears it up.
scott125
First Stripe
First Stripe
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: Bridge at Shawfield

Postby bAzTNM » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:50 am

Didn't there also used to be a big old fashioned house over on one side of the bridge there? Maybe in the past it was used for access to the property. House was knocked down when all the redevelopment started.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:12 pm

Re: Bridge at Shawfield

Postby Fossil » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:16 am

bAzTNM wrote:Didn't there also used to be a big old fashioned house over on one side of the bridge there? Maybe in the past it was used for access to the property. House was knocked down when all the redevelopment started.


Yes a white one
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
User avatar
Fossil
-
-
 
Posts: 12311
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:07 am
Location: Pitt Street

Re: Bridge at Shawfield

Postby cumbo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:11 am

It was the Park keepers house for Richmond Park /Glasgow Green.
User avatar
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1721
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:46 pm
Location: Location:Location

Re: Bridge at Shawfield

Postby calamity » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:29 pm

Image
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: Bridge at Shawfield

Postby BTJustice » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:02 pm

Looks like the bridge that is now at that location is not long for this world;

Imageglasgow cycle 080615 by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

Imageglasgow cycle 140615 2 by Dave Campbell, on Flickr
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
User avatar
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1568
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:57 pm
Location: Cathcart

Re: Bridge at Shawfield

Postby bAzTNM » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:46 am

Yeah, it's totally unsafe and been totally unsafe for a while. Could have been pretty nasty if it was left unattended to.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:12 pm

Re: Bridge at Shawfield

Postby bAzTNM » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:58 am

From Mr. George Parsonage..

Polmadie footbridge to be demolished
The bridge deck of the Polmadie footbridge is to be demolished.
A recent inspection found the bridge deck to be structurally unsafe and was closed to pedestrians and cyclists. Due to its unsafe condition, it was also closed to river users.
The footbridge connects Glasgow Green with Oatlands and Richmond Park. It was built between 1954 and 1955. It is a five span footbridge comprising concrete piers supporting a concrete deck.
In order to restore amenity to the area, the council plans to remove the bridge deck, leaving the concrete piers in place, which will allow all restrictions on river users to be lifted and restore access to the footways along the riverbanks.
Councillor Alistair Watson, Glasgow City Council’s Executive Member for Sustainability and Transport, said: “This is a popular and busy bridge, used by the local community and residents from both sides and I know its closure is having quite an impact on the area.
“We have to be realistic. The bridge deck is in such a poor condition that repairing or strengthening it is not an option. By removing the deck we can lift the restrictions on river users and the walkway below.”
Funding options to replace the bridge deck are being investigated.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:12 pm

Re: Bridge at Shawfield

Postby Marko » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:06 am

Demolition of the deck about to start: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-34443758

"The council said it was investigating funding options to replace the bridge deck."

Cynical old me suspects that the piers will remain in situ with bugger all on top for many a year before they're eventually removed too.
Marko
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:49 pm
Location: Motherwell


Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests