Evening Tiiiimes!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Evening Tiiiimes!

Postby JamesMc » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:02 pm

A couple of HG related stories from the ET today.

Another example of leaving a building to rot until it becomes unsafe and has to be pulled down, leaving ownership of lucrative city centre land

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5029699.html

nice Old cinema demolished, luxury flats in their place. Like the bit about the artificial trees 'to make it look nice'

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5029698.html#

JamesMc.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby duncan » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:31 pm

I love the fact they repeatedly misspell 'Cr
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby martin » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:28 pm

That looks like it might be a case of the è going missing in the conversion to the online site...
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:14 am

My boss has actually been offered the security contract for the Creme de la Creme one when demolishion starts. He said the site was mine if I was still with him by the time they start. Not sure when though, he said he thinks early in the new year. I should get some good pics of the whole process that way, and hopefully get in and around the deep dark bits when demolishion kicks in?
If no body's perfect, why practise?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:52 am

Gazzathecoigne wrote:My boss has actually been offered the security contract for the Creme de la Creme one when demolishion starts. He said the site was mine if I was still with him by the time they start. Not sure when though, he said he thinks early in the new year. I should get some good pics of the whole process that way, and hopefully get in and around the deep dark bits when demolishion kicks in?

That would be fantastic if you could - keep us posted!

There are quite a few interesting looking nooks and crannies in that building it would be good to get into - it has a long history - cinema, boxing ring, bingo hall, nightclub and now restaurant. The interior was originally highly decorated with oriental plasterwork buildings on either side of the screen, which are long since stripped out.

The Glasgow story has a pic of the original interior here:
http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSA00330

There are still a few patches of original plasterwork about if you know where to look though - the pillar visible on the far left of that photo is still there for example...

Cheers,

Gordon

PS Nothing like a few artificial trees to give a place some class!
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:36 am

The prospect of yet more tower blocks fills me with dread. Mind you, that part of the Finnieston area is a dump anyway.

Tim.
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:47 pm

Timchilli wrote:The prospect of yet more tower blocks fills me with dread. Mind you, that part of the Finnieston area is a dump anyway.

Tim.

Hey you, that's my area you're slating young man :!: :?:

Anyway, I'm sure the prospect of more flats in the region of 150k and upwards, would inject mutch needed interest in the retail and lesiure side of things for that bit of St. Vincent Street.
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

GPO Building

Postby KMas » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:49 pm

I live in the converted half of the GPO building and can see into the interior of the derelict half, there is not one window intact, birds living in it and constant rodent vigilance in this half of the building.
That half of the building is an eyesore and I don't like the idea of it getting pulled down!
KMas
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:21 am

Don't worry mate. Being so close to the railway lines, the rats won't have far to flit to.

Took this today on my way to the shop. Never like to see our history being bulldozed but I've got to admit, this will hardly be missed IMO.
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: GPO Building

Postby JamesMc » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:45 am

KMas wrote:I live in the converted half of the GPO building and can see into the interior of the derelict half, there is not one window intact, birds living in it and constant rodent vigilance in this half of the building.
That half of the building is an eyesore and I don't like the idea of it getting pulled down!

Any chance of some pics peering into the derelict bit?
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: GPO Building

Postby KMas » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:04 pm

JamesMc wrote:
KMas wrote:I live in the converted half of the GPO building and can see into the interior of the derelict half, there is not one window intact, birds living in it and constant rodent vigilance in this half of the building.

Any chance of some pics peering into the derelict bit?

No problem, I'll go into the courtyard over the weekend and take some, it's a bit dull just now :roll:
KMas
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)