RIP House Of Sher

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: RIP House Of Sher

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:54 am

RDR wrote:I think the cash and carry businesses have had their day.
Watched them arrive from the Gorbals in the 60's/70's and drive some of the already established shops out of business.
Their attitudes and some of their business practices were only tolerated, I think, due to their prices.
Amazon, on-line shopping and supermarkets which carry stock wider than food have replaced them.
Business evolution I suppose.

I think though that the big multinational cash and carry chains will survive like Costco and Makro - and they genuinely are quite good for certain things, although getting a membership card for either of them is like pulling teeth unless you are a registered business.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:08 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:
Watched them arrive from the Gorbals in the 60's/70's and drive some of the already established shops out of business.
Their attitudes and some of their business practices were only tolerated, I think, due to their prices.
Amazon, on-line shopping and supermarkets which carry stock wider than food have replaced them.

I think though that the big multinational cash and carry chains will survive like Costco and Makro - and they genuinely are quite good for certain things, although getting a membership card for either of them is like pulling teeth unless you are a registered business.

Really? Costco send a rep round to my workplace twice a year to try to get people to sign up.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:36 pm

Josef wrote:
RapidAssistant wrote:

Really? Costco send a rep round to my workplace twice a year to try to get people to sign up.

They used to come round our work as well but I'm sure membership was £20. Is that still the case?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby davadvice » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:52 pm

It's now £30,

My wife just renewed ours last week.

it saves us over £30 a year so can't complain.

and your are both correct, both my wife and i are eligible for a cosco card and work for different companies
davadvice
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:00 pm

Josef wrote:
RapidAssistant wrote:

Yep, they visit our office twice a year as well.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:57 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
Josef wrote:
RapidAssistant wrote:

Yes, you are right - IF your employer already has an account with Makro, Costco etc they let you join as an employee perk (mines does), but my point is that if your work has no such arrangement then you are on your own and you have to be a registered business.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MungoDundas » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:11 pm

Intersting mix (and some not so cheap really) at Costco but the Duracell batteries are always a winner.
Not paying BP £5.49 for a crisis required PP9 ever again!
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doug » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:19 pm

I remember the place when it was a proper trade cash n carry and it was always very busy but like a lot of businesses especially around the city centre areas it's had it's day. When it became a store that anyone could buy from it's prices shot up and the customer flow shot downwards until the place became unprofitable. It's a sign of the times. Consumers go to places they want to shop in and give them what they want at prices they want to pay and thats what has put the kybosh on so many city stores over the years. Internet shopping is hugely popular especially as shopping sites have become so much easier to use now and internet speeds are much faster
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:48 am

Doug wrote:I remember the place when it was a proper trade cash n carry and it was always very busy but like a lot of businesses especially around the city centre areas it's had it's day. When it became a store that anyone could buy from it's prices shot up and the customer flow shot downwards until the place became unprofitable. It's a sign of the times. Consumers go to places they want to shop in and give them what they want at prices they want to pay and thats what has put the kybosh on so many city stores over the years. Internet shopping is hugely popular especially as shopping sites have become so much easier to use now and internet speeds are much faster

I think you are right - I'd blame it on three factors

1. Commercial pressure from the internet as you say - Amazon and eBay where you can get branded stuff a lot cheaper anyway.

2. Shers, like all of the C&C warehouses, seemed to treat its retail customers like potential shoplifters aned thieves, the places were grotty, unpleasant and off the beaten track down in Kingston/Tradeston.

3. - Businesses that sell cheap and cheerful goods are now under pressure from the really big multinational discounters like Primark, and the big pound shop chains. Places like Poundland, Primark, B&M etc will survive in that niche.

And a general point in that, as a society becoming more affluent in general and less tolerant of low quality, both in terms of goods and customer service. Remember that other great Glaswegian emporium of cheap 'n' nasty - What Everyone (Woman) Wants - huge in the 1970s and 1980s - now defunct, and we can all remember how Vera Weisfeld crashed and burned when she to reinvent the concept in the mid 1990s - it just didn't work second time around (but don't get me started on the decaying remains of the Goldbergs building again....). But I think the future of the high street is in more speciality retailers selling premium goods that you can't get anywhere else - the trend is there for all to see - who would have thought that Glasgow would now have three branches of Waitrose 20 years ago; equally look how many prestigious chains have set up in Buchanan St/Ingram St; whilst many mainstream chain stores on Argyle and Sauchiehall Street have been struggling.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:47 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:
Glesga_Steve wrote:
Josef wrote:
RapidAssistant wrote:

Yes, you are right - IF your employer already has an account with Makro, Costco etc they let you join as an employee perk (mines does), but my point is that if your work has no such arrangement then you are on your own and you have to be a registered business.

My employer doesn't have an account with Costco - I think they just go around any large employers to try to gain new members. Whenever they visit our place, they just set up in the canteen during the lunch period (an email is sent to all staff in the morning to advise they'll be there). A few other companies (e.g. book sellers; cosmetics companies; Virgin) do the same thing.

My wife and I are Costco members and have been for quite a number of years (can't remember how long but we joined not too long after they opened in Glasgow) - when we joined there was a restriction on non-business members but it was based on your general type of occupation rather than being employed by a company that had an account. My parents are Makro members (my wife had a secondary membership through them - not too sure if she still does, we certainly haven't been there in a long while) but again their gaining membership was nothing to do with their employers.

I've no idea what their membership 'criteria' is these days but I'd think it would be more likely to be more open as time goes on rather than more restrictive.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doug » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:24 pm

Yes both the above comments are spot on. About 6 months ago I visited the Braehead Shopping Centre near Paisley and wow what a place. We dont have centres like this where I stay up north but I believe there are a number of centres like Braehead around the Glasgow area. In Inverness we have one major retail park which has a big Tesco and lots of other retailers and a cinema etc and thats where the bulk of retail shopping gets done up here. Its not under one roof but the stores are all grouped together and it's comfortable and easy to park and ideal for family shopping and just a few months ago we got our first Asda and it too is doing well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Scotty100 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:59 am

I remember back in the 1970s/1980s when you needed a special card to shop in Slaters Menswear. Membership was restricted to police, fire service employees sales reps etc. Rock bottom prices, good quality and great service. Always queued out the door.
They used to even have a wee waiting room if the warehouse was too busy.
It used to be the same at Macintyre's the jewellers in Mitchell Lane (remember the old fashioned gated lift with the smelly lift attendant to take you up to the warehouse)
You used to think you were a cut above the rest to have these cards.
Scotty100
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doug » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:16 pm

Scotty100 wrote:I remember back in the 1970s/1980s when you needed a special card to shop in Slaters Menswear. Membership was restricted to police, fire service employees sales reps etc. Rock bottom prices, good quality and great service. Always queued out the door.
It used to be the same at Macintyre's the jewellers in Mitchell Lane (remember the old fashioned gated lift with the smelly lift attendant to take you up to the warehouse)

Was Slaters not at that time not either the biggest or the busiest menswear shop in the world. I think it was in the Guinness book of records, and was there not a 50 shilling tailor shop around as well at that time !!
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Scotty100 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:47 am

Yes Doug I think you may be correct.
Scotty100
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:24 am

Scotty100 wrote:I remember back in the 1970s/1980s when you needed a special card to shop in Slaters Menswear. Membership was restricted to police, fire service employees sales reps etc. Rock bottom prices, good quality and great service. Always queued out the door.

Slaters used to have the contract with various Health Boards for the supply of uniforms, I can remember going there in the late 80's to be measured for it.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)