RIP House Of Sher

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

RIP House Of Sher

Postby Rodders » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:06 pm

Was in The House Of Sher and it was almost empty of stock. Guy serving says due to hard times the place is closing down. Shame, always good for a bargain.
Rodders
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: RIP House Of Sher

Postby Boxer6 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:13 pm

Not been in there for years, but used to frequent that particular emporium on quite a number of occasions!

A tiny part of the problem, I'm sure - some tens of thousands more like me, it's no wonder they're closing.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:14 pm

I was in there just 2 weeks and saying the same thing to myself that the place looks as if its shutting down, their upper floors have been closed for a while now and the basement was being cleared when i was in , they didnt have the things i was looking for and felt a bit expensive for a warehouse,needless to say i went to B&Q + Screwfix and got the things i wanted at a decent price.

I guess the likes of ebay and online buying has proved to be their deathknell like they have to a lot of other outlets like the Shers around Tradeston , was chatting to a chap thats worked for the shers for years and looks like Bonnypack will be next to go.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:17 pm

Used to go in there for all my tools, spray paints, car polish and trailer parts but as said above, the upper levels were gradually cleared and it looked like a business on its uppers. Shame.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:56 pm

I always found it to be on the expensive side and used to go with regularity to all the wholesalers in that area but one by one they either went on fire on a friday or the M74 extension saw them move on....
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:54 pm

Thought they'd already gone. :o

BBC

22 January 2013 Last updated at 13:53

Glasgow cash and carry House of Sher in administration

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:56 am

Anyone know what the building was before THS?
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Josef » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:56 pm

It seems to have been Sher forever, but I have a vague inkling that it might have been something to do with car spare parts?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:39 pm

There is a building round there that seems to be getting systematically dismantled by the vandals, you can see it from the off ramp from the Eastbound M8 to Scotland St. Big piles of rubble in the street.
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby train driver » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:02 pm

is that the kingston self storage building at the end of stanley st ?

you can see it better from the m8, it looks like most of the windows have been knocked out
& im surprised some scrote hasn't set fire to it yet.
train driver
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby stevieboy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:36 pm

House of sher was a rip off I bought wallpaper years ago there with the same batch codes the the rolls were different shades they wouldn't refund me for the wall paper never mind the fact I had to strip it and do it all over again :(
Stevie
In the name o the wee man
stevieboy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:55 pm

Can't say I will miss it - it was good in the "old days" when it genuinely was a cash-and-carry warehouse, originally it was trade only, then when they started letting the general public in you had to pay a surcharge if your trolley came to under £25 worth, and it was genuinely cheap, great for gardening and DIY stuff. But you had to wade through all the el-cheapo tickety tack which you can nowadays find in pound shops anyway. And I never cared for the overall level of distrust they treated their customers with (bag searches, trolley checks and all that) - the staff always made everyone feel guilty until proven innocent - think of everything that John Lewis isn't, and you get the picture.

As train driver says above, I'm just waiting on a story of the Kingston Bridge being closed due to an "accidental fire" in this old eyesore of a building. Still - good place for a block of "apartments", next to the CWS building :)
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:19 pm

Their Customer service was virtuly None, it was like take it or leave it attitude, they still have the same shit attitude towards customers in their other places like bonypack and shers cash and carry over at eglinton, surprised they've lasted this long, i was in HOS for wallpaper once and decided to search the net after getting the code number, it was twice the price dearer in HOS than the net, had it deliverd to my door next day, no wonder they closed down with crapy attitudes like they have, surprised also BP are still on the go, they'll be next by the looks of it the last ime i was in for car oil , the only reason i was in the oil was about £8 cheaper than anywhere else.

The place i find quite reasonble these days for any ironmongry and hardware/DIY is Screwfix along at kingston, good website they can deliver as well if orderd online and its quite handy having a local branch. :)
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:18 am

Maybe the cash and carry warehouses will one day disappear out of the Tradeston/Kingston area completely (can't say I'll miss them), it's aready starting to get more and more residential anyway in the last decade or so. You can see how a lot of the regeneration efforts in the Gorbals will eventually spread westward. One to watch - is this potentially the next up-and-coming area maybe??
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:23 am

I think the cash and carry businesses have had their day.
Watched them arrive from the Gorbals in the 60's/70's and drive some of the already established shops out of business.
Their attitudes and some of their business practices were only tolerated, I think, due to their prices.
Amazon, on-line shopping and supermarkets which carry stock wider than food have replaced them.
Business evolution I suppose.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)