Lost Retail Chains

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:37 am

Bridie wrote:Did you go to a city centre school too Mori? It was great for doggin. I'd sneek down one of the hills in Garnethill and mingle in the crowds ::):




I do hope your hat was on your head rather than stuffed in your pocket.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
User avatar
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 6252
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby Mori » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Bridie wrote:
Mori wrote:
Off topic and Not a chain, i miss the lewsis restaurant on the upperfloors, and the restaurant in the basement of the old classic cinema in renfield st, my secret meeting places when i dogged school. :D


Did you go to a city centre school too Mori? It was great for doggin. I'd sneek down one of the hills in Garnethill and mingle in the crowds ::):



I went to Govan High for 1st and 2nd year and was influenced to dog it from 3rd and 4th year by the evil forces, had a good time though, as they say the best years of my life... completed my Masters last year ::): thats what i get for not doing what i shouldve back then rather than the attendance officers at my door every other week. :D

I'm sure i seen other Fergusons stores but smaller units somewhere ,but maybe i'm mistaken.

Were you a St Alawishus girl ? :mrgreen:
User avatar
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 1:05 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby Celyn » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:48 pm

Bridie wrote:...

Did Ferguson's have another shop apart from Union Street?
...


I think Ferguson's was only in Union Street. I had a Saturday job there when I was at school, selling cheese and bacon and quiches and cold meats and square sausages and generally clogging up people's arteries.
Celyn
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:49 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby Bridie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:46 pm

Mori wrote:
Bridie wrote:
Mori wrote:
Off topic and Not a chain, i miss the lewsis restaurant on the upperfloors, and the restaurant in the basement of the old classic cinema in renfield st, my secret meeting places when i dogged school. :D


Did you go to a city centre school too Mori? It was great for doggin. I'd sneek down one of the hills in Garnethill and mingle in the crowds ::):



I went to Govan High for 1st and 2nd year and was influenced to dog it from 3rd and 4th year by the evil forces, had a good time though, as they say the best years of my life... completed my Masters last year ::): thats what i get for not doing what i shouldve back then rather than the attendance officers at my door every other week. :D

I'm sure i seen other Fergusons stores but smaller units somewhere ,but maybe i'm mistaken.

Were you a St Alawishus girl ? :mrgreen:

Congrats Mori.
No chance I was at Garnethill Academy for Young Angels - did you hear that Dexter Baby ;)
In my day a priest and/or nun would walk up and down in the street at breaktime in case any shenanigans went on btw the glory boys of St Aloysius and us. We slummed it with the Mungo boys ;)
Last edited by Bridie on Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes HH,I know
User avatar
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2267
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby Bridie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:48 pm

Celyn wrote:
Bridie wrote:...

Did Ferguson's have another shop apart from Union Street?
...


I think Ferguson's was only in Union Street. I had a Saturday job there when I was at school, selling cheese and bacon and quiches and cold meats and square sausages and generally clogging up people's arteries.

Indeed !! but very pleasantly as I do remember the peach flans
Yes HH,I know
User avatar
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2267
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby the researcher » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:33 pm

what about munro the butchers they seem to have disappeared from the high street
there was a branch here in cupar fife originally in the bonnygate then it moved to the crossgate which were larger premises
we also had a hay and co supermarket on the bonnygate and also a galbraiths in the crossgate hays then became galbraiths and the one in crossgate closed i cant remember the names it had after that but the last one it had was owned by the co-op as it was a subsidary company
we also had an rs mccolls as well but it closed a number of years ago it became a sandwich shop but see it is now closed we also had a presto store which became safeway then it closed and lidl moved in they moved to a new store a few years ago and the shop is now argos
we has a woolworths which had been in the town since the 50's it closed and a pound shop opened in it retaining the woolworths staff when it closed pounstretchers moved in retaining would you believe the woolworths staff lucky or what?
we did have a john menzies but it changed its name to wh smith like the other branches
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:56 am
Location: fife

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby Josef » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:54 pm

the researcher wrote:what about munro the butchers they seem to have disappeared from the high street
there was a branch here in cupar, fife originally in the bonnygate then it moved to the crossgate which were larger premises
we also had a hay and co supermarket on the bonnygate and also a galbraiths in the crossgate hays then became galbraiths and the one in crossgate closed i cant remember the names it had after that but the last one it had was owned by the co-op as it was a subsidary company
we also had an rs mccolls as well but it closed a number of years ago it became a sandwich shop but see it is now closed we also had a presto store which became safeway then it closed and lidl moved in they moved to a new store a few years ago and the shop is now argos
we has a woolworths which had been in the town since the 50's it closed and a pound shop opened in it retaining the woolworths staff when it closed pounstretchers moved in retaining would you believe the woolworths staff lucky or what?
we did have a john menzies but it changed its name to wh smith like the other branches


Alternatively....

the researcher wrote:What about Munro the Butchers? They seem to have disappeared from the high street.

There was a branch here in Cupar, Fife originally in the Bonnygate, then it moved to the Crossgate which were larger premises.

We also had a Hay and Co. supermarket on the Bonnygate, and a Galbraiths in the Crossgate. Hays then became Galbraiths and the one in Crossgate closed. I can't remember the names it had after that, but the last one it had was owned by the Co-op, as it was a subsidary company.

We also had an RS Mccolls as well, but it closed a number of years ago. It became a sandwich shop, but see it is now closed. We also had a Presto store, which became Safeway, then it closed and Lidl moved in. They moved to a new store a few years ago and the shop is now Argos.

We had a Woolworths which had been in the town since the 50's - it closed and a pound shop opened in it, retaining the Woolworths staff when it closed. Poundstretchers moved, in retaining - would you believe - the Woolworths staff. Lucky or what?

We did have a John Menzies, but it changed its name to WH Smith like the other branches


Don't take offence, please. That was a really good and informative post, but it's really hard to read without capitalisation and punctuation.
User avatar
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 8145
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:43 pm

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby Bridie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:36 am

In my book we're not writing a newspaper column we're chatting - same as sitting in the pub.
Spelling,grammer or repeating subjects isn't that important and you wouldn't pull up someone for it in the flesh?
Certainly in the new phenonomen of internet chatting some rules are necessary however the style of a person's post isn't that important - to me.
Yes HH,I know
User avatar
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2267
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby rabmania » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:44 am

I'm with Josef; I won't read posts that aren't punctuated at all, they're just too much work. Just look at the difference it makes when punctuated. It's easier to read and therefore involves more of us in the discussion.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:36 pm

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby Bridie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:21 am

Some people might be put off posting if they have to think too much about presentation.
Yes HH,I know
User avatar
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2267
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby rabmania » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:29 am

Casting vote Dex?
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:36 pm

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby Bridie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:34 am

rabmania wrote:Casting vote Dex?

NO not the Dex............ I'm sorry I'm sorry ::):
Yes HH,I know
User avatar
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2267
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby hungryjoe » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:39 am

Did anyone mention Cochrane's supermarkets? They were along the lines of Galbraith's and Curley's.
My old man managed Galbraith's largest store in Halfway, before starting up for himself.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
User avatar
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1746
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:26 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby Hervey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:42 pm

Most have already been mentioned
Haven't seen
Greenlees - shoe shop, Castlebank - dry cleaner, Maypole - dairy

In Cambuslang's not too long Main St in addition to the above three there was
Gallbraith, Cochrane, Coopers, Curley, Lipton, RS McColl, Birrell, Bayne & Duckett, City Bakeries.
Hervey
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:29 am
Location: Hervey Bay Qld

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby banjo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:06 pm

then mr tesco came along and trampled them all to death.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:26 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests