Lost Retail Chains

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby robertpool » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:02 pm

I think in 1990 the Hospitality Inn was in Cambridge Street (not so sure about the 5***** bit though). I'm sure someone will correct me!
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:09 pm

I also have the programme for WEW. I will look it out at some point and see who were the 'Stars'. My money is on Chris McClure being one of them :)

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:21 pm

Great pics Robertpool thanks I never thought I'd see a Clydesdale book - that my grannie had -again ::):
Also the RS McColl logo and a City Bakeries tea tin - was that unique to City Bakeries or was it a general tea tin design?
The Hospitality Inn was in Cambridge St and speaking of Cambridge St has Gran(d)fare been mentioned and MacFisheries
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:12 pm

I would think that the tea tin was of a general design used back in the day when CB's, Coopers, Thomsons, McGavin & Sclanders, Philp, Hay & Co, Robert Balloch & Co, Liptons and the like blended their own brand of tea.

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:58 pm

Bayne and Ducket shoe shops, Batta shoes also Saxone, a few Nicols stores Hardware shops dont know if they were national or local businesess, Scotmid shops mostly lothian based i think was owned by the co-op (i think).

Peasrsons on victoria rd was local and dont think there were other branches, is Crockets in W Nile st still there ? was also a single branch i think.

George boyd ironmongery were in the east end had expanded in to several buiding and decor shops in the area with the name Graham.

There were sweet and tobaco shops with the name Birrell i can recal somewhere.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:23 pm

Bayne & Duckett's Price Book for 1928; Some fantastic shoe and boot designs in here

Saxone Shoes

Birrells Confectioners.

Scotmid and Clydebank Co-op are now the only two independant co-op's in Scotland, birthplace of the Co-op.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:55 pm

And at one time Scotland was full of independent Co-op's and they all formed the SCWS (Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society) with the intent of buying and manufacturing their own products in bulk and providing an 'umbrella' for all to work with. Societies like St George's, Tollcross and many, many more. Sadly, one by one they 'amalgamated' with the SCWS and instead of being independents they became one great big society. A disasterous financial arrangement forced the SCWS to merge with the English based CWS and now that is the Co-operative Group but thankfully the little independents remain but the great CRG (Cooperative Retail Group) no longer serve them with the same spirit of what it was set up for.

Changing the subject completely, does anyone know what ever happened to the City Bakeries chain?
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:And at one time Scotland was full of independent Co-op's and they all formed the SCWS (Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society) with the intent of buying and manufacturing their own products in bulk and providing an 'umbrella' for all to work with. Societies like St George's, Tollcross and many, many more. Sadly, one by one they 'amalgamated' with the SCWS and instead of being independents they became one great big society. A disasterous financial arrangement forced the SCWS to merge with the English based CWS and now that is the Co-operative Group but thankfully the little independents remain but the great CRG (Cooperative Retail Group) no longer serve them with the same spirit of what it was set up for.

Changing the subject completely, does anyone know what ever happened to the City Bakeries chain?

!

I hadn't even realised that City Bakeries weren't there anymore.

The Co-Op still retain a large degree of the original spirit - if you're looking for an ethical bank then they're your first bet.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:15 pm

Josef wrote:
I hadn't even realised that City Bakeries weren't there anymore.

They haven't been there for a wee while now, sadly.

On the banking thing , I have been meaning to transfer to a COOP account for ages - good intentions versus inertia.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:32 pm

I used to be with the Co-operative Bank but left them because although they have 'ethical' policies about who they invest with they didn't treat their customers with the same degree of concern. I had to get legal advice about bank charges (way back in the early 90's) and thankfully a few letters to them from my chosen law firm and I was reimbursed but I moved my account to a Scottish based bank (well it was then). So the big Co-op is not for me but then each to their own and find out for yourself.

And yes, City Bakeries are no longer on the go (sadly) as I find 'Greggs' to be quite poor in comparison.

And to add to some of these 'no longer' in the Hight Street chains...
What about Hendersons the Funeral Directors (branch in Byres Road and Sauchiehall Street)? There were quite a few of funeral firms in Glasgow, many of them in more than one location and independent not part of the CWS or Dignity Funeral Services.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:02 am

I have too many SCWS items to list so you can see them here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool ... 64/detail/

some old time funeral directors

reciept for my great grandfather's funeral

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:53 am

Did City Bakeries used to be a Sunblest chain of bakeries owned by the bread makers ?, maybe Crawfords, seem to remember them kind of logos in their windows.

I can remember City bakeries being in existence till the late 80s/early 90s, i think Greggs took over a load of their branches, i may be wrong though.

Another chain that has went recently are the Dry cleaners Munros was it ? along with the photo processing Supasnaps.

Fergusons was another chain of sort of delicatessens that have gone and Olivers.

Off topic and Not a chain, i miss the lewsis restaurant on the upperfloors, and the restaurant in the basement of the old classic cinema in renfield st, my secret meeting places when i dogged school. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:26 am

Mori ..... these should make you fell right at home....

the cinema before it became the 'Classic'. Special preview invite card to Cranstons Picture House

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:52 am

Thanks Robert you certainly have a LOT of evidence of the citys previous past !! look forward to seeing more of your collections in the future. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:11 am

Mori wrote:Did City Bakeries used to be a Sunblest chain of bakeries owned by the bread makers ?, maybe Crawfords, seem to remember them kind of logos in their windows.

I can remember City bakeries being in existence till the late 80s/early 90s, i think Greggs took over a load of their branches, i may be wrong though.

Another chain that has went recently are the Dry cleaners Munros was it ? along with the photo processing Supasnaps.

Fergusons was another chain of sort of delicatessens that have gone and Olivers.

Off topic and Not a chain, i miss the lewsis restaurant on the upperfloors, and the restaurant in the basement of the old classic cinema in renfield st, my secret meeting places when i dogged school. :D

Did you go to a city centre school too Mori? It was great for doggin. I'd sneek down one of the hills in Garnethill and mingle in the crowds ::):

Did Ferguson's have another shop apart from Union Street?

Henderson's Butchers but that might have been N Glasgow based
Kelvin Bakeries might have been N Glasgow too

I don't think there were any chains of opticians either think they were always independant
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)