Lost Retail Chains

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby Doug » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:57 pm

Wee Harry wrote:Doug, yup, that was him party animal - he would haved dedlivered a max of two and would have been pished before dinner time!

I remember a row of the vans parked outside the bookies

They were never discreet!

Haha, aye man, them were the days when ye could drink and drive and stop of at the bookies at any time !!
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Wee Harry » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:27 am

Doug, I sat outside many of these establishments in a van munching a packet of crisps and guzzling a bottle of ginger, could have been in every van belonging to whoever he worked for at the time, probably vans in front and behind had the same thing going on, I think I was lucky as I got a Beano, Dandy or Valiant to help me bide my time and to persuade me not to tell my 'ma!

On a very rare day I would get atrip to the toy shop in Eglington Street where I could get a new Dinky car (guess this might have happened when the GeeGee's came up!)

Didnt know it at the time but times were good then and I was happy!
Wee Harry
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Doug » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:39 pm

Yes they were good days Harry. Long before islamist terrorism and serious drug taking and all that sort of stuff but there again every district of Glasgow had its own wee shopping streets and its own cinema and pubs of course so they were vibrant with lots going on. There were trams and trolley buses then modern buses to take you places. You got to know all the local lassies and they got to know the local lads and you went to the pictures or dancing and so on. Life was generally good, not always much money perhaps but you got on with what you had :D
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:15 pm

It's always the casual remarks that pull you up. I know this is a site for dewy eyed romanticists but there's more to worry about in the West of Scotland from our home grown gangsters. You know the ones who burn families in their own homes, who torture women before killing them, and get away with shooting down their rivals in public places.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doug » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:02 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:It's always the casual remarks that pull you up. I know this is a site for dewy eyed romanticists but there's more to worry about in the West of Scotland from our home grown gangsters. You know the ones who burn families in their own homes, who torture women before killing them, and get away with shooting down their rivals in public places.

Absolutely right, it's very easy to hark back to the old days but right now there are some pretty awful things going on around us and they seem to be getting worse than than better especially domestic cruelty and extreme cruelty to children. However this way off thread. Probably better to open a new thread on this subject !!
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:28 am

Doug the problem post is in this thread and this is where it's dealt with. If you wish to find more realistic threats to life in Glasgow such as being attacked by ninjas check out No Go Areas in Glasgw, Serious ones]
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Wee Harry » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:03 pm

Dexter/Doug, I am so dense I cannot fathom wtf we are chewing the fat over, perhaps I am overtly un PC and thick skinned but please do prey tell where we have gone wrong.
Wee Harry
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby rabmania » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:18 pm

Perhaps this?

Doug wrote:Yes they were good days Harry. Long before islamist terrorism :D
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Modelzone is in administration.

Their branch in the Enoch Centre is having a closing down sale.
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doug » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:51 pm

rabmania wrote:Perhaps this?

Doug wrote:Yes they were good days Harry. Long before islamist terrorism :D

Yep, hands up and take the blame for going off thread. Ah think we wuz talking about shops before ah got a bit carried away :(
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:21 pm

I think the ninja attacks post is my favourite part of the HG year so far. Unless anybody does any better, Dex, you've won a malt of the month.*

*Offer void where prohibited (Edinburgh)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Aye when is the next HG night out?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:19 pm

forget the city,what about toughing it out in a serious no go area.hg ya bas.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:55 pm

banjo wrote:forget the city,what about toughing it out in a serious no go area.hg ya bas.

Let's face it: we collectively couldn't fight sleep, and would struggle to run the length of ourselves. We could only disarm would-be attackers by asking them questions about high-rise demolition techniques and the socio-economic intentions of the Bruce Plan. And bricks. (Doorstop is obviously excluded from my 'big gang of softies' notion.)

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Aye when is the next HG night out?

Several months ago. We're about due another, right enough.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby jimmy1959 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:14 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:We've had lost car dealers, lost Wimpy bars, lost department stores and lost record shops, but anyone remember other big chains that were once big household names and were merged, went out of business or otherwise fell into the forgotten trench of history....and can you remember where they were???

Some examples:

- Dodge City - Scottish DIY chain that was swallowed up by B&Q in the early 1980s; there was one on Hamilton Road, that finally closed as a B&Q in 2005 when the big one was built in Parkhead, torn down to make way for houses. Can anyone remember any others?

- Templetons Supermarket - (I believe Galbraiths were part of the same group); absorbed into Presto. then Safeway. There was one on Westmuir Street in Parkhead; it is now a Farmfoods I think.

- Clydesdale (the electrical retailer); there were several in Glasgow as it was a local firm. Think they got swallowed up by Dixons/Currys in the end. There was one on Jamaica St for sure, another on Duke Street, and they had a unit in the Forge, Parkhead as well which replaced the Westmuir Street branch.

- SSEB/Scottish Power; remember the big one on Sauchiehall Street opposite C&A's/Dunnes Stores?

...over to you!

The biggest cause by far of the loss of all British Industry was the lack of investment put into it which meant they couldn't improve to keep up with much cheaper foriegn stuff. Back in 1978 British Steel where getting a million quid a day from the taxpayer just to try and stay in business, very little of that money if in fact in was invested in the company. One of BS employees wrote into the paper that in a Sheffield plant the canteen cutterly had made in Korea engraved on it. British Leyland in the early 1980's where being robbed by there employers of hundreds of millions worth of car parts and even whole engines every year. My uncle worked as a delivery man with Clydesdale in the late 70's and told me that they where stealing loads of things like tv.s and music centres and loading them into their lorries and selling them every time they picked up a load at the warehouse. The minimum wage didn't help much either unless you were lucky enough to be able to keep your job
instead of lose it to a foriegn country where your wage could pay ten men. By the end of the 1980's almost all ICI's patents had run out and they invested the money to get others. British Steel are now run by an Indian company Corus and have been well invested in and are doing well.
jimmy1959
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)