Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:55 pm

I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Wee Harry » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:59 am

Was there asho called DER or Reddifusion!
Wee Harry
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:54 pm

Not really a major retail chain, but FRESHWAYS...came into existence early 88 i think, they were 10 stores that were bought by CJ Lang and Son Ltd from the defunct Shoppers Paradise.

I worked in the one in Norby Road in Broomhill, the were all eventually re-branded as Spar as it was deemed a better name, and cheaper prices, they traded 8am-10pm Mon to Sat, 10-5 on a sun, at a time when late night shopping was Thurs to 8

The stores i remember were...Broomhill, Clarkston Toll (now the furniture shop), Thornliebank Main Street, Westwood Square EK, Port Glasgow, Erskine (Bargarran, altho i think that was later as i think that may have been a Presto), Wishaw, also was one for a short time in Leven and in Kirkintilloch (not 100% sure)...cant remember the rest....i went in for a summer and left 10yrs later
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kirstymaclaren » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:01 am

SomeRandomBint wrote:And as if by magic, Youtube provides the evidence.

http://youtu.be/A4tqZXXjELI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can remember appreciating from a young age that the 4 all had different fonts!
kirstymaclaren
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:45 pm

@ Wee Harry.... Ya should've gone to Radio Rentals! :D I remember renting my first DVD player from Granada too but we grew up with DER. :)
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Wee Harry » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:36 pm

I think we had acolour tv with a remote on a cable!

Yahoo
Wee Harry
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:53 pm

On oldie but goldie:

Did you hear about John Collier's cat?
It clawed Alexander.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCHZSfNYL_Q

Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fatman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:01 pm

tobester wrote:Not really a major retail chain, but FRESHWAYS...came into existence early 88 i think, they were 10 stores that were bought by CJ Lang and Son Ltd from the defunct Shoppers Paradise.

I worked in the one in Norby Road in Broomhill, the were all eventually re-branded as Spar as it was deemed a better name, and cheaper prices, they traded 8am-10pm Mon to Sat, 10-5 on a sun, at a time when late night shopping was Thurs to 8

The stores i remember were...Broomhill, Clarkston Toll (now the furniture shop), Thornliebank Main Street, Westwood Square EK, Port Glasgow, Erskine (Bargarran, altho i think that was later as i think that may have been a Presto), Wishaw, also was one for a short time in Leven and in Kirkintilloch (not 100% sure)...cant remember the rest....i went in for a summer and left 10yrs later

Think Bathgate was the other one, I worked in WIshaw for a year and a bit in the early 1990s in the poorest paid management position ever. Possibly one in Abronhill as well, though may have been a Spar.
Fatman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby tobester » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:57 pm

Fatman wrote:
tobester wrote:Not really a major retail chain, but FRESHWAYS...came into existence early 88 i think, they were 10 stores that were bought by CJ Lang and Son Ltd from the defunct Shoppers Paradise.

Think Bathgate was the other one, I worked in WIshaw for a year and a bit in the early 1990s in the poorest paid management position ever. Possibly one in Abronhill as well, though may have been a Spar.

They were there... embarrassing thing is i managed both Bathgate (1997) and Wishaw (1998), Abronhill was always a Spar, but was owned by CJL, other one i missed was Corstorphine in Edinburgh....that was a horrible shop, ran by a clique who all got their just deserts
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mjw » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:12 pm

What about Tandy, there was one in Cumbernauld Town Centre, back in the early 80s when cb radio was the thing I picked up a cb lingo book when buying something out of the place. Anyone else as interested as myself when discovering you could light a small bulb out of Halfords with a 9v battery, one of strongest child memories was when in bed with the measles/rubella and being overjoyed when my mum gave me a battery out of the local shop, it's the small things that matter most isn't it.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:22 am

Aye, every Tandy had that metal detector with the bright orange handle in the window.

Tandy was owned by what is now Radio Shack. More common in the USA, but there's one in Lytham St Annes, a nice wee town down the coast from Blackpool.
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Rucola » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:36 am

Tandy also sold a telephone amplifier which made a reasonably good guitar distortion unit.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:35 pm

I always remember my Dad getting a Tandy newspaper through the post. If you took the wrapper to a tandy you got a free torch if you bought the batteries. Problem was it took 6 D cell batteries so you came out the shop with a plastic torch and £10 out of pocket for the batteries. Im sure my Dad still has 3 of them in his house.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:55 pm

Did Tandy not used to be in Renfield st, Regent house where the old Regent cinema was ?

Before Tandy i think it was radio shack, i might be mistaken though.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:15 pm

Mori wrote:Did Tandy not used to be in Renfield st, Regent house where the old Regent cinema was ?

Yes, and ironically the shop that's there now also sells electronic gear, albeit second-hand stuff that folk have had to hock.

They also had a store at the corner of Ingram St. and Miller St. (now Cruise).
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)