Lost Retail Chains

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby robertpool » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:18 pm

Bridie wrote:
Mori wrote:Was it Radio Rentals or there was the Granada tv rental shops, think there was one called Redifusion

There was a DER shop in Renfield st i can remember.

Granada

::):
"Great service great sets thats what you get from.... Granada" no it wasnae them :wink:
think it was either DER or Redifusion

Other lost chains - Rumbelows...The Sweater Shop ....Tie Rack??

Rumbelows were a southern chain

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:41 pm

Saxone shoes
Sauchiehall Street - my mothers first job
http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualm ... =2&t=4&x=1

Didn't know they used to be called Saxone and Sorosis -google asked if I mean't Saxone and cirrhosis ::):

Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:56 am

robertpool wrote:
Bridie wrote:
Mori wrote:Was it Radio Rentals or there was the Granada tv rental shops, think there was one called Redifusion

There was a DER shop in Renfield st i can remember.

Granada

::):
"Great service great sets thats what you get from.... Granada" no it wasnae them :wink:
think it was either DER or Redifusion

Other lost chains - Rumbelows...The Sweater Shop ....Tie Rack??

Rumbelows were a southern chain

Funny how technology and market trends were often the death knell for a lot of shops - renting your TV and big electrical appliances was fashionable when these things were mega-expensive or really unreliable. Just shows you how much the standard of living has increased, yet we still moan about how hard done by we all are......

Rumbelows were inside the Parkhead Forge in the early days, the shop became a Scottish Power Sound & Vision. Radio Rentals also had a shop there as well (opposite where Superdrug is); of course Glens/Hutchison/Robertsons/Stepek did TV and VCR rentals as well, it was always plastered over the nightly STV schedule ad breaks.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:25 pm

True. It also shows that using the Provident or hiring out a TV cost those who could least afford it.
When did credit unions start?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:46 am

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/colonial-chic-jazz-age-fashion-its-all-in-frasers-archive.16216165 Fraser's Archive

Drumchapel Community Credit Union was founded in Febuary 1970 and was probably one of the first, if not the first, Credit Union in Scotland. The Credit Union is what is known as a financial cooperative. It has an established "common bond" from which its membership is drawn. Drumchapel Community Credit Unions common bond is defined as the G15 postcode area and, therefore open to anyone living in that locality.

Social workers should receive some acknowledgement of their role in promoting credit unions.

The first credit unions in Ireland were initiated in the 1950s by three people working in Dublin: Nora Herlihy, a National School teacher from Ballydesmond; Sean Forde, an employee at a Dublin bakery; and Séamus P. MacEoin, a civil servant. The economy of the Republic was depressed, urban poverty and emigration were increasing, and the credit union movement was envisaged as a way to help working class people manage their finances. The ILCU was established in 1960.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:44 am

I wish credit unions over here had more clout like having current accounts etc as I believe the Glasgow one has.

Great link thanks :D to the new Frasers online history site - look forward to that.
As they say a whole different way of shopping - about three people approx working in the glove department alone as opposed to one working in thee different departments alone and with one tea break of fifteen minutes a day and it takes five minutes to get to the toilet :roll: Things ran much more efficently in those days in retail.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:13 pm

[quote="Bridie"]I wish credit unions over here had more clout like having current accounts etc as I believe the Glasgow one has.

scotwest credit union have current accounts.

and i understand after years of trying to survive in the market and after many rebrands and shake-ups radio rentals eventually became this lot
http://www.boxclever.co.uk/index.html

radio rentals still lives on in australia, where renting tv's and satellite systems is still common.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:30 pm

SomeRandomBint wrote:We used to do our shopping in FineFare off Duke Street, which became Gateway, then Somerfield, and now is no more. I think there was a Finefare out at Bishopbriggs too.

Not a chain, but I remember Sutherlands toy shop at the corner of Duke Street and Hillfoot Street. Always had cracking dolls prams. And Ethel's for school uniforms.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:07 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
SomeRandomBint wrote:We used to do our shopping in FineFare off Duke Street, which became Gateway, then Somerfield, and now is no more. I think there was a Finefare out at Bishopbriggs too.

Not a chain, but I remember Sutherlands toy shop at the corner of Duke Street and Hillfoot Street. Always had cracking dolls prams. And Ethel's for school uniforms.

Was Sutherland's the one which had the little gonks on springs in the window? I remember they always fascinated me when I was a kid, heading home on the number 41 bus!
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Rucola » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:33 am

Malcolm Campbell the greengrocers is fascinating. I think the Hyndland Road shop must have been one of the last to go; I remember buying stuff there in the 1990s.

In their heyday they had big stores in the city centre. There was one on St Vincent St where Pret was recently and in the unit at the junction of Gordon St and Union St. There are photos of these shops on the Virtual Mitchell. I envisage people leaving work and getting on the tram home with some carrots and potatoes.

I can't imagine having a greengrocers in the city centre now. Even if I could afford to live bang slap in the centre of Glasgow, I wouldn't know where to get my messages.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:07 pm

All from VM. Dundas Street. East side, just up from the station.

Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Morroccomole » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:53 am

What about CityCash Tailors?

They had a shops in the Trongate area and Paisley High Street in the 70s that sold all the latest fashions.

All the Bay City Rollers shit, the duty doc martins, wrangler jeans, Harrington jackets, crombie coats(red hanckie oot the breast pocket) Oxford bags etc etc.

Ma maw wouldn't let me get docs, said they were too aggressive looking so had to settle for a pair o Monkey boots!!

Oh aye and Glen Checks.
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Morroccomole
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:30 pm

Morroccomole wrote:What about CityCash Tailors?

Oh aye and Glen Checks.

Was that the country version of the Provident?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pwm437 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:24 am

A few I recall are;

Hoey's
Sellyn's
John Temple
Weaver to Wearer
Tom Martin Tailors (pay up a suit at ten bob a week)
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby avadoll » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:25 am

Bulloch's (Or A.Bulloch Groceries as some signs listed.)
avadoll
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)