Lost Retail Chains

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby honeybee » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:12 pm

Mori wrote:Bayne and Ducket shoe shops, Batta shoes also Saxone, a few Nicols stores Hardware shops dont know if they were national or local businesess, Scotmid shops mostly lothian based i think was owned by the co-op (i think).

Peasrsons on victoria rd was local and dont think there were other branches, is Crockets in W Nile st still there ? was also a single branch i think.

George boyd ironmongery were in the east end had expanded in to several buiding and decor shops in the area with the name Graham.

There were sweet and tobaco shops with the name Birrell i can recal somewhere.

Scotmid shops are still going strong - in fact they bought Botterills Convenience Stores (of Blantyre) last year & have just finished transferring 49 stores from the Spar brand over to the Scotmid one.

Not owned by the Coop - we just buy our stock from CRTG (Cooperative Retail Trading Group).

They are Edinburgh based, made up from a few Cooperative societies over the years.

"Over the years since its inception, St Cuthbert's had been strengthened by its amalgamation with a great many small localised societies, however the most significant merger was to come in January 1981 when it was agreed to join forces with the Dalziel Society of Motherwell, a move which was taken to ensure future growth and extend trading areas. The famous name of St Cuthbert's disappeared into history as the new combined Scottish Midland Co-operative Society, Scotmid for short, was formed.

The subsequent years of the 1980's saw numerous other small societies from throughout central Scotland flocking to join the new and exciting Co-op, even in recent years small societies have continued to join forces with Scotmid, the latest being the transfer of the North Tayside, Strathaven and Kilwinning Society in 1998."
honeybee
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Bridie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:44 pm

Birrell's were in competition with R S McColls.
Galbraiths/Curley's and Cochrane's battled it out.
Just remembered Timothy White's who were alongside Boots.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:26 pm

Hervey wrote:Most have already been mentioned
Haven't seen
Greenlees - shoe shop, Castlebank - dry cleaner, Maypole - dairy

In Cambuslang's not too long Main St in addition to the above three there was
Gallbraith, Cochrane, Coopers, Curley, Lipton, RS McColl, Birrell, Bayne & Duckett, City Bakeries.

A memo signed by John Greenlees himself in 1910

Later to become Bowie-Castlebank Ltd

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:16 pm

theglasgowstory

I remember this chain in the 70s/80s trading under the name of DM Hoey.

The St George's Cross branch of D M Hoey, tailors and outfitters, New City Road. The photograph was taken in 1964 before the area was redeveloped to accommodate the M8 motorway. The shop was one of six Hoey's branches in Glasgow at the time, the others being in Argyle Street, Maryhill Road, Dumbarton Road in Partick, West Nile Street and Sutherland Avenue, Ibrox.

Established in 1898, D M Hoey remains in business at the beginning of the 21st century. It supplies mainly men's casual clothing and footwear, trading on old-fashioned values of personal service and competitive prices.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:17 pm

Mori wrote:theglasgowstory

I remember this chain in the 70s/80s trading under the name of DM Hoey.

The St George's Cross branch of D M Hoey, tailors and outfitters, New City Road. The photograph was taken in 1964 before the area was redeveloped to accommodate the M8 motorway. The shop was one of six Hoey's branches in Glasgow at the time, the others being in Argyle Street, Maryhill Road, Dumbarton Road in Partick, West Nile Street and Sutherland Avenue, Ibrox.

Established in 1898, D M Hoey remains in business at the beginning of the 21st century. It supplies mainly men's casual clothing and footwear, trading on old-fashioned values of personal service and competitive prices.

There was a Hoeys in Victoria Road
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:09 pm

We used to do our shopping in FineFare off Duke Street, which became Gateway, then Somerfield, and now is no more. I think there was a Finefare out at Bishopbriggs too.

Remember the ads for "Glenns, Hutchison's, Robertson's and Stepek"? I can't remember what the tag line was.. something, somthing... guaranteed!

And the Jolly Giant toy shop on Crow Road... are there any of those left, or have Toys R Us obliterated that too?
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Celyn » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:34 pm

SomeRandomBint wrote:...
Remember the ads for "Glenns, Hutchison's, Robertson's and Stepek"? I can't remember what the tag line was.. something, somthing... guaranteed!

Haha! ::): I was thinking about that one when reading this thread the other day. I got a wee bit stuck at the list of shop names (a catalogue of shops? Yes, you may groan now.) but you've got them all.

Right, they might have had several of these adverts but one I recall went:

"Glen's, Hutcheson's, Robertson's and Stepek
The sale's now on and it's really epic"

It was probably a good advert, 'cos it was memorable because of the terrible non-rhyme.
Celyn
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:27 am

And as if by magic, Youtube provides the evidence.

http://youtu.be/A4tqZXXjELI

Ah, the days when renting a CRT telly and a VCR was a viable option. When my Gran called up to cancel her tv rental scheme, they told her to keep the telly because it would cost more in petrol than the telly was worth to collect it!
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:53 am

SomeRandomBint wrote:And as if by magic, Youtube provides the evidence.

Ah, the days when renting a CRT telly and a VCR was a viable option. When my Gran called up to cancel her tv rental scheme, they told her to keep the telly because it would cost more in petrol than the telly was worth to collect it!

::):
Were Glen's Hutchinson's and the other one not all independant at one time?
There was another one who hired out tele's?? - I can still see the wee cardboard payment book?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:33 pm

Was it Radio Rentals or there was the Granada tv rental shops, think there was one called Redifusion

There was a DER shop in Renfield st i can remember.

Granada
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Mori wrote:Was it Radio Rentals or there was the Granada tv rental shops, think there was one called Redifusion

There was a DER shop in Renfield st i can remember.

Granada

"Great service great sets thats what you get from.... Granada" no it wasnae them :wink:
think it was either DER or Redifusion

Other lost chains - Rumbelows...The Sweater Shop ....Tie Rack??
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:01 pm

Visionhire!
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Goldberg's.

EDIT

Before I get Dextered, I searched for the word "Goldberg" before posting and it came out with nowt. Tsk.
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:48 pm

jodieohdoh wrote:Goldberg's.

EDIT

Before I get Dextered, I searched for the word "Goldberg" before posting and it came out with nowt. Tsk.

I think there was a brief mention, but you've provided the link, so you win :D

RS McColls are still going, they rebranded to McColls didn't they? I'm pretty certain there's still one at Carntyne Square. Although it is one of those shop I walk past three times a week and probably wouldn't notice if they changed it!

I remember Chelsea Girl on Argyle Street. It was a real treat being taken in there on a Saturday by my Mum and being allowed to choose real proper grown up jewellery. I think I had a fantastically tacky set of bright yellow beads from there which were the height of fashion in 1984.
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:05 pm

Bridie wrote:
SomeRandomBint wrote:And as if by magic, Youtube provides the evidence.

Were Glen's Hutchinson's and the other one not all independant at one time?
There was another one who hired out tele's?? - I can still see the wee cardboard payment book?

They were always independant but bought as a group.

Jim Friel- Glens, Tom Hutcheson - E W Hutcheson, Con Connahan - Robertsons and John Stepek - Stepeks
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)