Lost Retail Chains

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby RapidAssistant » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:43 pm

RDR wrote:Yes, well lots of things seemed to fall of the back of a lorry then. Where my dad was concerned it depended on what he might be delivering in any given week. Hence we had a house stacked full of San Izal toilet tissue one week and Surf the next

Aye well in our case, we did seem to get Karma because nearly everything that my dad "acquired" from work seemed to prematurely expire - like the Flymo that burned its motor out shortly after we got it, and then the sewing machine that managed to self destruct as well....the aforementioned bed however did last a long time!
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby calamity » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:00 pm

Margaret Forresters in London road at Bain st... the building is still there but the big shop long gone.. whether this was a chaind of shops or not I dont know.. then we had all the tailors.. Weaver to Wearer..Burtons..Tom Martin..Claude Alexanders. does anyone remember the big one at the Trongate, I think it was City Tailors with a big red neon crown over the shop near C&A John Collier (the window to watch) as on TV. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SeETmUOBTs Sellyns fashions as well disappeared, as well as C&A.
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ruchazie Rat » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:51 pm

Yeah.... City Cash Tailors, Saltmarket. Gad! I think they primarily existed for the benefit of those Provident Cheques/Vouchers a lot of hard-up working families got to help get clothes for the kids, though not necessarily school uniforms.
Ruchazie Rat
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby calamity » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:44 am

Not sure if these shops were only at Parkhead or not but Campbells had a few shops in Tollcross road... and our Coops that were everwhere at one time.. In London road Bridgeton. we had a Co shoe bakers. drapers. dairy, shoe shop and a shop that did lights and furniture..
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:28 pm

Ruchazie Rat wrote:Yeah.... City Cash Tailors, Saltmarket. Gad! I think they primarily existed for the benefit of those Provident Cheques/Vouchers a lot of hard-up working families got to help get clothes for the kids, though not necessarily school uniforms.

City Cash Tailors used to do a nice line in Sta Prest.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:53 am

Another one I remember was Shoprite - a sort of really naff budget supermarket - the slogan was "overfill your trolley, underspend your budget". They got taken over by Kwik Save in the mid-90s and disappeared into oblivion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oOk2JZKjRA

I remember they had a branch in Shettleston - in the former McKinlays Leisure, before that the old wire works building on Annick Street (roughly where Tesco petrol station stands today), and they also had the former Asda in Cambuslang. Can anyone remember any other sites that they had?
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:50 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:Another one I remember was Shoprite - a sort of really naff budget supermarket - the slogan was "overfill your trolley, underspend your budget". They got taken over by Kwik Save in the mid-90s and disappeared into oblivion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oOk2JZKjRA

I remember they had a branch in Shettleston - in the former McKinlays Leisure, before that the old wire works building on Annick Street (roughly where Tesco petrol station stands today), and they also had the former Asda in Cambuslang. Can anyone remember any other sites that they had?

Used to be one on Dumbarton Rd, Partick, site of the BHF store now, as with the rest converted to kwiks(l)ave after being bought out by them. Worst thing they ever then did was sell out to somerfield, who then tried to convert stores, was a massive failure, i worked in meadowbank when the conversions started. The scottish stores then got sold off to co-op, i know some stores were still open in england then went bust, The kwik save branch in berwick still has the signs etc
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Yes of course there was the Kwik Saves as well....they built one on Old Shettleston Road in 1994-95, and it wasn't there that long; it was shut within 6 years or something and it was torn down to make way for the new flats that stand there now. There was also a Kwik Save in Cranhill if my memory serves me correctly, or was it Stepps. There were quite a few dotted around the city. My recollections of these places were that they were pretty unpleasant places to shop - dark, dingy - more like warehouses than supermarkets. When Tesco, Asda etc started to compete with them on price the writing was on the wall.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby maxmix » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:46 am

West Regent Street

West Regent Electronics

Downstairs, bit's of everything lying everywhere

maxmix
maxmix
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:51 am

Another one that comes into my mind is musical instrument shops - McCormacks on Bath Street was a huge staple of mine personally as my dad is a musician and we were in there all the time. A very unique family business as they had their own credit facilities, so self-employed guys could buy their equipment on the never-never, no credit history required or anything, all you needed was a good relationship with the shop - nearly every musician in Glasgow probably had a "slate" in Macs.....

Sadly no more, another victim of online shopping. As was Sound Control, although in their case it was a combination of the internet, and over expansion that did for their business (taking over the basement of the ex-Virgin Megastore on Oxford Street in London is what broke them apparently).

Biggars on Sauchiehall Street also had a brush with the administrators a few years back. I think CC Music on Otago Street is the only historic music shop in the city that's managed to soldier on.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:41 am

Band Supplies up near Yorkhill have been going for a few years.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:59 am

RDR wrote:Band Supplies up near Yorkhill have been going for a few years.

As long as there's a lodge they'll keep marching on.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:48 am

RapidAssistant wrote:Another one that comes into my mind is musical instrument shops - McCormacks on Bath Street was a huge staple of mine personally as my dad is a musician and we were in there all the time. A very unique family business as they had their own credit facilities, so self-employed guys could buy their equipment on the never-never, no credit history required or anything, all you needed was a good relationship with the shop - nearly every musician in Glasgow probably had a "slate" in Macs.....

Sadly no more, another victim of online shopping. As was Sound Control, although in their case it was a combination of the internet, and over expansion that did for their business (taking over the basement of the ex-Virgin Megastore on Oxford Street in London is what broke them apparently).

Biggars on Sauchiehall Street also had a brush with the administrators a few years back. I think CC Music on Otago Street is the only historic music shop in the city that's managed to soldier on.

Image1960's McCormack's Music, 33 Bath Street, Glasgow Advertisment by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr

Image1957 McCormack's (Music) Ltd, 7 & 31 Cowcaddens Street, Glasgow Advertisment by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr

Image1998 McCormack's Music Limited, 33 Bath Street, Glasgow by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr

Image1998 Sound Control, 61 Jamaica Street, Glasgow by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr

Image1997 Sound Control, 61 Jamaica Street, Glasgow Service Report by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr

Image1991 Sound Control, 61 Jamaica Street, Glasgow by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr

Image1952 Biggars Recording Studio, 71 to 73 Cambridge Street, Glasgow by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr

ImageBiggars, Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:50 am

forgot CC Music : here is the link (15 photos)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpoo ... 6076651414

Bobby
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:33 pm

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)