WiFi locations in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

hotels

Postby yourebarred » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:50 pm

have you seen what hotels charge for wireless?!!
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby allyharp » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:43 pm

I was able to pick one up the other day from Costa on Gt Western Rd. The signal was a bit dodgy though.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:27 pm

There's an advert on the Subway for Bier Halle Republic in Gt. Western Road which says they have free wifi.....and a 40 seater heated beer garden.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby crazygray23 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:01 pm

i get the 250 wi-fi minutes also but only have a shitty handheld and i cant even pick up the hotspot over at the city inn on clyde st and im in the sheriff court , probably need to be sitting uder the transmitter :(

btw did anyone see a story while back about using airships to create a wi-fi network across a desert , wonder if something like that could be done here
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:44 pm

crazygray23 wrote:i get the 250 wi-fi minutes also but only have a shitty handheld and i cant even pick up the hotspot over at the city inn on clyde st and im in the sheriff court , probably need to be sitting uder the transmitter :(

The City Inn is a pretty big distance from the Court! Do you mean the Holiday Inn perhaps?
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:57 pm

the one right across from it? , my mistake :) names confuddled
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Sat May 12, 2007 6:36 pm

I was staying in the holiday inn and asked about wireless access 8.50 per 30 mins, talk about day light robbery. dont know how the hell they get away with it.
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gregorycooper » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:36 pm

martin wrote:Shame most of them are BTOpenZone. Have you ever had a look at their pricing plan? £6/hour!

Alrite mate,

I didn't realise it was that price, My Dad gave me 6 tickets towards BTOpenzone when I was visiting him this week in Northern Ireland so 6 hours of surfing for me for free, So really £36 worth of credit, I thought he'd gave me a couple of pounds worth, :).

Better send him a text and thank him!

Used one when I was delayed, Easyjet - The usual never on time!

The only bummer was my battery run out well nearly, I spotted a fridge with a spare plug beside it so I kindly helped myself so some free Belfast International Airport Electricity!! Done the trick and got me through my big bad delay, oh better not forget the few pints of Budweiser!! ;)

So the BTOpenzone came in handy!
gregorycooper
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby scoused will » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:19 pm

I read with interest the other week that our City's favourite "partner" BT intend to make Liverpool the first wireless city in England.

Now all I seem to see is JCDeceux adverts ( holding the technology) everywhere.

Oh woh is me :cry: :?
scoused will
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby netclectic » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:58 am

Field Marshall Shug wrote:There's an advert on the Subway for Bier Halle Republic in Gt. Western Road which says they have free wifi.....and a 40 seater heated beer garden.

You can barely get a wifi connection when downstairs in the bar, i dread to think what it's like from the beer garden.

p.s. West Brewery (the pub in the old carpet factory at Glasgow green) has free wifi. I was working from home one day when ntl died, i packed up my laptop and head off to West and spent the afternoon "working" my way through a couple of steins of some rather delicious German beer.
this week i have mostly been listening to...
netclectic
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby MungoDundas » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:28 pm

Grtz,

http://www.indiaofinchinnan.com/

I realise that it's kinda Renfrew and not Glasgow - but then again it is only about 15minutes from town in my Citroen when the M8's running sweet...

Rather surprisingly the Graham Technology Staff Canteen is open to the public, not unexpectedly it has WiFi, which – pleasantly – is of the Free Public Access variety.
Didn't know whether to look at the building, my PDA or my scone & jam!

Cya
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Open Network

Postby blink148 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:44 pm

In the highly unlikely chance you will need it.

Police station on Aitkenhead Rd (next to Toryglen ASDA). Go to top of hill and you will see 'open linksys' if you stumble.

If needed you are more than welcome to jump on anytime to check e-mail and so on. Just don't take the piss of course ;-)

Certain services are blocked but if you want to sit outside in a car and torrent you have deeper problems than I can serve.
blink148
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby crazygray23 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:40 pm

i have one of they new BT Fusion mobiles which automatically connects to the openzone hotspots when in range ,apart from cheap calls i get unlimited internet access on it and it can load full web pages with ease too ...downside is the screen is too small to use for web pages

btw on the bt stand in braehead they have 3 home hubs which i can pick up on my phone if anyone can work around the wep codes they could get online , also i believe its in superdrug but for some reason i can pick up a sky broadband connection too
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: WiFi locations in Glasgow

Postby triggerhappy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:23 pm

Just thought I'd update the list with some free wifi places around town and the west end -

Bunker Bar - Bath Street
Firewater - Sauchiehall Street
Biggars Cafe - Sauchiehall Street
Apple Store - Buchanan Street (and by extension, the Starbucks across the road :))
Offshore - Gibson Street
iCafe - Gibson Street
Firebird - Argyle Street (West)
Enjoy! Coffee House - Great Western Road

:)
triggerhappy
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: WiFi locations in Glasgow

Postby gap74 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:47 pm

Cafe Hula at the top of Hope St - I can pick it up from work across the road, comes up as WIRE038 or something similar.

SImilarly, if I'm working at the King's, there's one across the road there too - gsmglasgow, although I'm buggered if I know where it comes from.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)