WiFi locations in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby AlanM » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:30 am

Pripyat wrote:Best locking your system to specific MAC address.

Best to use WPA encryption if its available and hide your SSID (and change it from the router's default).

MAC addresses can be easily spoofed so I wouldn't recommend that as a form of security
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:20 am

AlanM wrote:
Pripyat wrote:Best locking your system to specific MAC address.

Best to use WPA encryption if its available and hide your SSID (and change it from the router's default).

MAC addresses can be easily spoofed so I wouldn't recommend that as a form of security

Aye Alan, no probs. Been a while since I looked at things, obviously
things have moved on a bit in the world of networking. I'll go back
and play with my collection of 8 inch floppy disks :wink:
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:28 pm

was sitting in the town having a swatch and found a residential block in nelson mandela place has unsecured wireless ;) ::): ::): not that i used it of course :-p
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:06 pm

If you put Glasgow into the search facility on te BT Openzone website it gives you all the places with a connection... and its also free if you have BT broadband at home :)
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby busdriver » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:29 pm

http://www.jiwire.com/search-wifi-hotspots.htm?state_id=0&num_per_page=&geocode_index=0&radius

http://www.jwire.com will give all this information including free services, a Google maps search will also give their location, but not whether free.

BT Openzone Locations Glasgow City Centre
BT Openzone Payphone Payphone West George Street Glasgow G2 1BP United Kingdom BT Openzone
BT Openzone Payphone Payphone Sauchiehall Street Glasgow G3 7UD United Kingdom BT Openzone
BT Openzone Payphone Payphone George Square (NW) Glasgow G2 2NR United Kingdom BT Openzone
BT Openzone Payphone Payphone George Square (NE) Glasgow G1 1DN United Kingdom BT Openzone
BT Openzone Payphone Payphone West George Street Glasgow G2 2NR United Kingdom BT Openzone
BT Openzone Payphone Payphone Ingram Street Glasgow G1 3BY United Kingdom BT Openzone
BT Openzone Payphone Payphone Cambridge Street Glasgow G2 3DB United Kingdom BT Openzone
BT Openzone Payphone Payphone Jamaica Street Glasgow G1 4QD United Kingdom BT Openzone
Churchills@Kirklee Other 1 Kirklee Road Glasgow G12 0RL United Kingdom BT Openzone
Corus Hotel Glasgow Hotel 377 Argyle Street Glasgow G2 8LL United Kingdom BT Openzone
Glasgow CC Ingram Street - Italian Centre Public Building/Space Ingram Street Glasgow G1 1DN United Kingdom BT Openzone
Glasgow Central Station - Network Rail Train/Bus Station Gordon Street Glasgow G1 3SL United Kingdom BT Openzone
Hilton Glasgow Hotel 1 William Street Glasgow G3 8HT United Kingdom BT Openzone
Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor Hotel 1-10 Grosvenor Terrace Great Western Road Glasgow G12 0TA United Kingdom BT Openzone
McDonalds Restaurant 283 Milngravie Road Bearsden Glasgow G61 3DQ United Kingdom BT Openzone
McDonalds Restaurant Castlemilk Shopping Arcade Glasgow G45 9AA United Kingdom BT Openzone
McDonalds Restaurant Finnieston Street Glasgow G3 8JU United Kingdom BT Openzone
McDonalds Restaurant 1841 Great Western Road Anniesland Glasgow G13 2UX United Kingdom BT Openzone
McDonalds Restaurant 10 Westhorn Drive Glasgow G32 8YX United Kingdom BT Openzone
McDonalds Restaurant Crow Road Partick Glasgow G11 7SH United Kingdom BT Openzone
McDonalds Restaurant Helen Street Glasgow G52 1EE United Kingdom BT Openzone
McDonalds Restaurant 1221 Gallowgate Glasgow G31 4EB United Kingdom BT Openzone
McDonalds Restaurant Maryhill Road Glasgow G20 9BA United Kingdom BT Openzone
McDonalds Restaurant 489 Pollockshaws Road Glasgow G41 2QQ United Kingdom BT Openzone
McDonalds Restaurant 12 Darnley Mains Road Glasgow G53 7RH United Kingdom BT Openzone
McDonalds Restaurant 1235 Springburn Road Glasgow G21 1UU United Kingdom BT Openzone
Ramada Glasgow City Hotel 201 Ingram Street Glasgow G1 1DQ United Kingdom BT Openzone
Sauchiehall Street - 1 Payphone Sauchiehall Street Glasgow G1 2RN United Kingdom BT Openzone
Sauchiehall Street - 2 Payphone Sauchiehall Street Glasgow G1 3DE United Kingdom BT Openzone
Toby Jug Bar/Restaurant 97 Hope Street Glasgow G2 6LL United Kingdom BT Openzone

This does listing not migrate well in Excel, format.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Cazzie » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:54 am

crusty_bint wrote:If you put Glasgow into the search facility on te BT Openzone website it gives you all the places with a connection... and its also free if you have BT broadband at home :)

Is that true? How do you get it?

I'm with BT broadband (not that it's worked for the past two months and I've had the most dreadful experiences with their "help"desk) but usually pay for BT openzone when I'm out and about
"Look, we can't fall into old patterns.
We have to think of a plan!"
- Lisa Simpson
Cazzie
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby shammon » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:13 pm

So.... if i was to go to a wifi spot and ilegaly down load music is there a chance of getting caught. Not that i want to bit to make the point if i used it how would they know is me?

Ta
I cant spell so what the hell!
shammon
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Glasgownet...

Postby gordonjcp » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:54 pm

If you spot an open wifi node with the SSID "glasgownet", fire in. It's supposed to be that way. You may be restricted in what you can do, and you may be monitored. If you don't like that, don't use it.

If you see one called "glasgownet-testing", contact me for the WEP key. If you want to participate, get in touch.
gordonjcp
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby pwh60_2 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:23 pm

And now the other side of the coin - any programmes which will detect and show any intruders on your home network?
Pete
pwh60, pwh60UK
pwh60_2
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Detecting intruders...

Postby gordonjcp » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:23 pm

Look at the control panel for your wireless router. Somewhere in there it will have something that talks about DHCP Leases - this is what it hands out to a connected computer to give it an IP address. You should have at least one, which you'll probably recognise as your own computer. If you've got more active leases than computers that you know about, someone may be connected.

You can monitor what traffic is flowing with something like Ethereal if you know what you're doing, and see what people are looking at. Even better for that is Driftnet, which will pull images out of the traffic as it comes past...
gordonjcp
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:35 pm

Beanscene in Cresswell Lane charges for WiFi. But there is a Linksys nearby that is unprotected and you get quite a good signal from inside Beanscene.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:49 pm

haha I haven't noticed that, i'll need to give it a try! I've been going to loads of coffee shops around the West End for the past few weeks and so far Offshore and iCafe are the only ones with free wifi.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pwh60_2 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:35 pm

hi gordonjcp
decided to use Network Magic and keep an eye on my router's DHCP client list.
Thanks
Pete
pwh60, pwh60UK
pwh60_2
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby allyharp » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:11 pm

Roxburgh wrote:Beanscene in Cresswell Lane charges for WiFi. But there is a Linksys nearby that is unprotected and you get quite a good signal from inside Beanscene.

When I was last in Beanscene there was a Linksys network connection nearby but apparently it wasn't connected to the internet! Or something like that, I can't quite remember what the message was. Did you actually manage to use it?
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

WiFiHiFI? whit?!

Postby cataclyzm » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:43 pm

how ye doin folks?,

Ye can get Wifi with yer tattie scones and wee mug a' tea doon at paddies market whilst yer mannin' yer stall.

Cannae say how fast the connection iz, bit wee Jeannie ses she hiz nae bother wae it. She runs a wee button stall and is bad wae her legs but she likes tae keep mobile with her global communications.

Microsoft shood come doon tae the briggate for a team meeting and hiv a dander. Mind the slippery cobble stones on they expensive boots darlin'.

Bit!? Whit if ye cannae get wifi? Whit dae ye dae then? You'll be scunnered.

Love all you darlin' folk. Come doon fur a bargain and open yer hearts to kindness and acceptance and you'll be surprised by glesga. Cities hiv a spirit tae ye know! and hers was created in love and kindness and glaring honesty!!!!
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)