WiFi locations in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: WiFi locations in Glasgow

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:54 pm

Just about every McDonalds in the UK offers free WiFi all you need supply is name, e-mail and postcode. Just do Name = Ronald McDonald, e-mail = [email protected], post code = random post code or even ask for the restuarant post code.

Obviously you can provide your real details but as I have already tested on a regular basis this is totally unnecessary

You don't need to make a purchase either, you could sit in your car in the car park and surk to your hearts content. Just watch if you're looking at 'questionable' stuff....................
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:58 pm

Spotted that Wetherspoons are offering free WIFI access for all - previously used to have to ask for a voucher or be given one with your pint & grub. - I'll try it out tomorrow lunchtime if I get the chance

Username: Sponsored
Password: Service

Click here for details
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:57 pm

free wi-fi at the next end of silverburn. Might be handy for those spending a small fortune in coffee republic or costa also starbucks has a t-mobile hotspot
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotgio » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:44 pm

bilco8 wrote:Free Wifi on some buses now!

I love this so much!

I frequently travel between Edinburgh and Glasgow, and now all of the citylink coaches have free wi-fi. Means I can use the internet from my MacBook or my iPod, making the journey considerably more entertaining. Noticed quite a few iPhone users taking advantage of this.
scotgio
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:14 pm

Now you can surf wherever you can get a mobile signal. If you travel alot it might be worth a look in. In this particular deal you pay up a laptop along with the normal subscription fee. If you already have the kit then you'll pay alot less per month.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/commer ... EBROADBAND
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gordonjcp » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:11 am

Just a wee update - I've moved, and this weekend I'm moving all the radio and networking stuff out of my old flat. So, if you were using an open ap called "glasgownet" within about half a mile north of the Kingsway flats, you've got until teatime...
gordonjcp
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:18 am

The Solid Rock on Hope St. has free WiFi as has John Moores around the corner.
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:08 am

I've treated myself to a T-Mobile dongle thingy - no more relying on the cafe across the road when I'm at work, a boon considering most of my job involves sitting around doing nothing!

Very easy to set-up to, just plug it in, load it up and that's pretty much you.

Only really use it in city centre, where the various mobile technologies used are fairly strong, so can't comment on how it is in outer areas - although I have used it at home in Cambuslang and it wasn't too bad.

Oh, and by default, it loads highly compressed graphics, for full quality graphics you need to also download an accelerator, something oddly not given very prominent mention (if at all!) in any of the documentation.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotgio » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:24 pm

gap74 wrote:I've treated myself to a T-Mobile dongle thingy - no more relying on the cafe across the road when I'm at work, a boon considering most of my job involves sitting around doing nothing!

Very easy to set-up to, just plug it in, load it up and that's pretty much you.

Only really use it in city centre, where the various mobile technologies used are fairly strong, so can't comment on how it is in outer areas - although I have used it at home in Cambuslang and it wasn't too bad.

Oh, and by default, it loads highly compressed graphics, for full quality graphics you need to also download an accelerator, something oddly not given very prominent mention (if at all!) in any of the documentation.

Vodafone compress the graphics on their 3G broadband service too. Quite useful really, as it saves your bandwidth allowance. I'm still not entirely sure what happens if you exceed the bandwidth cap, but the sales guy said it would probably just be an angry letter from Vodafone. It's even fast enough to stream video on youtube. I find I seem to get good 3G coverage with the modem pretty much anywhere in the central belt (this is what the Citylink buses are using to provide the free wifi access on their coaches on the M8). Really impressed with Vodafone, in addition to decent Windows and Mac support they even have linux drivers available.
scotgio
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:04 pm

I tend to run it with the graphics at original quality, and to be honest, it's not blistering, but neither is it hugely slow. As for bandwidth, I found in the first month that I only used about 1.3Gb from my 3Gb allowance - to be honest, unless you're a huge filesharer or video downloader or the like, I can't see that being a huge problem - I use it for general surfing, with the odd large email attachment, and some fair Flickr and YouTube usage too.

Was originally sampling it with a view to ditching my landline and broadband at home, simply because I don't use my landline for anything other than broadband, and I detest BT! Jury is still out on whether it's a usable substitute.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:07 am

dont know if its been mentioned, but National express trains has it free now, GNER who had the franchise prevoiusly charged you.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotgio » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:20 am

gap74 wrote:I tend to run it with the graphics at original quality, and to be honest, it's not blistering, but neither is it hugely slow. As for bandwidth, I found in the first month that I only used about 1.3Gb from my 3Gb allowance - to be honest, unless you're a huge filesharer or video downloader or the like, I can't see that being a huge problem - I use it for general surfing, with the odd large email attachment, and some fair Flickr and YouTube usage too.

Was originally sampling it with a view to ditching my landline and broadband at home, simply because I don't use my landline for anything other than broadband, and I detest BT! Jury is still out on whether it's a usable substitute.

I'm not convinced it's a suitable replacement... yet. Tech's still a bit immature, and not fast enough. This 4G LTE network stuff, supposing the UK networks actually invest in it, looks promising. 3GB is the same I get from Vodafone, which is not even close to enough to cover the monthly abuse our broadband line gets. If you like the BBC's iPlayer, or any streaming video for that matter, you'll quite easily eclipse the 3GB (a quick glance at my router reveals I'm 6GB down in the past 3 days). I find it's a great addition to a fixed broadband line though, and if your needs are the occasional light browse/shop/email/facebook etc I think you could quite easily ditch a landline.
scotgio
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:29 am

scotgio wrote: if your needs are the occasional light browse/shop/email/facebook etc I think you could quite easily ditch a landline.

Not to quibble with that, but I am aware of a couple of public organisations that barred access to Facebook and Bebo by staff and found that 40-60% of their bandwidth was freed up instantly.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:07 pm

http://www.winwap.com/products_2.php
http://www.filesaveas.com/wap.html

Potential options for the 3G dongle user. I tried it, the content is basic but if you use it for the stuff that doesn't need heavy doors content then you're laughing
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotgio » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:41 pm

Josef wrote:
scotgio wrote: if your needs are the occasional light browse/shop/email/facebook etc I think you could quite easily ditch a landline.

Not to quibble with that, but I am aware of a couple of public organisations that barred access to Facebook and Bebo by staff and found that 40-60% of their bandwidth was freed up instantly.

Haha thats probably more to do with the staff spending all their time on it than any bandwidth issues! I bet productivity went up by a similar amount.
scotgio
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)