WiFi locations in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby stinkpad » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:50 pm

There's a project to bring free wifi to glasgow - more details at http://www.glasgownet.com

I've been told that the website is getting an overhaul in the near future as its looking a bit unloved at the moment.
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:33 pm

Next time you go for a subway sandwich, take your wi-fi laptop.... the branch of subway on St Vincent place has free access for customers.

I have an account with t-mobile hotspot for wi-fi access.... mainly because thats whats in the place I work... £23.50 a month compared to £5 an hour. All the starbucks have hotspot, as does Borders and Ibrox stadium. (Even though I live pissing distance from it, I can't pick it up). The service is all very well and runs ok, but it always disconnects me around about 6am
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:50 pm

I think the Goat and Gazelle pubs on Argyll Street have free wi-fi
I'm sure i saw a sign about wi-fi the last time i was in king tuts too...
and i've been told McSorleys on Jamaica Street has it as well
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gordon » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:18 pm

Rottenrow gardens has it. Although you do need to have some kind of strathclyde uni proxy to use it - just try and log on there and it'll take you right to it - its free and works reasonably ok-ish.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby John » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:50 pm

I have been told that you get free wifi in the basement of GoMA. There is also a free wifi provider covering George Square. I will confirm the details of both when I am back at work next week.

I have a t-mobile 3G card for my laptop which gives me 1.8 Mbps download speed from most places. They also gave me free access to all t-mobile hotspots for 12 months. It was a great deal and only costs me £20 per month.

w
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby McShad » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:14 pm

Osmosis on Jamaica street have free wi-fi

Don't know about George square.. I scanned while I was in Georgics and only found the Millenium hotels one at £10 for 4 hours
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jazza » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:54 pm

If I built a wee page with a google map that we could plot FREE glasgow wifi points on would it be worth doing?

I was in beanscene at Battlefield today - wifi was something like £3 for 15 minutes!!! £5/6 for 1 hour and £30 for a month. crazy when all they need is a router and a broadband connection - which the shop will have anyway.
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby McShad » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:09 am

Could be handy....

one colour for free wi-fi, another for charged wi-fi
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:57 am

BigCraig wrote:If I built a wee page with a google map that we could plot FREE glasgow wifi points on would it be worth doing?

I was in beanscene at Battlefield today - wifi was something like £3 for 15 minutes!!! £5/6 for 1 hour and £30 for a month. crazy when all they need is a router and a broadband connection - which the shop will have anyway.

yes please 8)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Cazzie » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:14 am

good place I go to when I'm killing time between meetings is the City Inn on the Riverfront. Free Wifi, free parking and nice coffee that isn't too expensive. Very calming environment too
"Look, we can't fall into old patterns.
We have to think of a plan!"
- Lisa Simpson
Cazzie
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby red_kola » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:27 am

Offshore Coffee Shop on Gibson Street. They only require that you buy a drink every hour to use it their free wi-fi. (& their coffee is a damn sight nicer than Beanscene, and a lot cheaper too)
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby LostSoul » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:27 pm

Sitting at my living room window i pick up no less than 8 wireless networks. What makes this particularly unbelievable is that none of these 8 networks have been secured ! Seems like a lot of folks have a wireless router these days but few know how to password encrypt them....
FIR F**K'S SAKE....S E A R C H
LostSoul
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:17 pm

Best locking your system to specific MAC address.
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:42 pm

Mine is secure, as is one of the others I can pick up from the front of the house. There's an unsecure connection I can reach from the back garden though, which I have actually used once or twice when my internet has been funny!

The other night I was round at a friend's house who happens to be doing a computer networking course at uni and not only did I get onto his unsecure connection with my palmtop, there was somebody else with an unsecure one nearby too.

It's not hard to add security, or at least it wasn't with my Linksys router. In fact it seemed like it would be harder to click the cancel button and ignore all the warnings while you were setting it up.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:27 am

Biggar's in Sauchiehall St offer free Wi-Fi to cafe customers.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)