Glasgow Subway is 115 yrs Old Today!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Subway is 115 yrs Old Today!

Postby DavidMcD316 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:36 am

Was on the subway for first time in about 20 years last year. They've missed a trick with it. A wee extension to the east and one to west is what's neede
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:54 am

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:25 pm

motman wrote:
yoker brian wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:I still hate journalists and people who should know better than to refer to The Underground or The Subway as the Clockwork Orange.

:D -

I agree with you Dex - as a born & bred Glaswegian,who can remember his last trips on the old pre-modernisation system, to me it will always be The Subway, I point blank refuse to call it The Underground or Clockwork Orange and god help anyone who has the audacity to even mention the words "The Tube" in my vicinity!

hear hear :twisted:

Even though not Glasgow born and only having stayed in Glasgow at my grandparents house i will always think of the Glasgow subway not the name Clockwork Orange or "The Tube" and will always have fond memories of the old pre-modernisation system.
Ive been on the new system once when i visited Glasgow in the mid 80's and travelled from Buchanan Street to Shields Road to have a look at the area where my grandparents lived but it had all changed the iron ore shunting yard had gone the tenement where my granparents had lived was gone and Paisley Road at one time a very busy road was practically deserted with hardly any traffic yet at one time it used to be very busy with cars lorries and buses.
After visiting there i went to the Barras for a look around and havent visited Glasgow for a nostalgia visit since then
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Does anyone have a map showing the actual route of the subway tunnels? I've been trying for a while with no success. I use the Subway every day and I'd be keen to know exactly what I'm passing under, but I wonder if it's been placed under embargo because of the Official Secrets act or something :D
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:57 pm

You can follow the line on this:
>Click<

Well, you can on all the sections I've looked at so far anyway.

(I like yer location, by the way :) )
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Fossil » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:41 pm

We did do a walk ( on deactivated tracks) a few years back from Govan Subway station to Partick and back. I cant remeber the forum topic but there was loads of pictures taken :)

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:33 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:You can follow the line on this:
>Click<

Well done that man .
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:43 pm

>Click<

BRILLIANT! That's exactly what I was looking for, and for many MANY different reasons! :D

Thank you. Still can't work out what bloody direction I'm going in between Cowcaddens and St George's Cross though...
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby motman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:39 am

>Click<

Excellent site, I never knew it existed. Ah! the power of digital imaging 8). I assume that the route was the projected one as laid down in the parliamentary act as it wasn't built to a few years later than the map suggests (1892-94). I also see that Coplawhill tram works on Scotland Street where the subway power station was located is a white space.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:29 am

I could spend hours on that mosaic map thing! :D
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:06 pm

It is a rather brilliant site isn't it?

motman wrote:I assume that the route was the projected one as laid down in the parliamentary act as it wasn't built to a few years later than the map suggests (1892-94).

I hadn't thought of that, but right enough. They seem to have stuck with the projected route, as the 1934-6 map elsewhere on their site (not made into a mosaic yet) has it passing under the very same buildings, and even the same bit of pavement (give or take a few feet anyway). Mind you, I suppose much it had to follow the same route, along the street-bound cut-and-cover sections and (I imagine) avoiding large buildings.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Sunflower » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:09 am

Lucky Poet wrote:... and (I imagine) avoiding large buildings.

...but it did dive under Walmer Crescent / Cessnock Street, which had been there for about 40 years.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:37 pm

Ah, true that. It'd be churlish of me to say they were avoiding extremely large buildings then (even though I just sort of have). It'd also be nonsense as the line is clearly shown diving straight under the undoubtedly very large tenements by Kelvinbridge. The route was chosen with an eye to minimise tunnelling under large buildings then?

The more I look at the precise route, the more impressed I am with it; it's very clever, actually, and quite a feat of surveying apart from anything else.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby motman » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:38 am

Lucky Poet wrote:Ah, true that. It'd be churlish of me to say they were avoiding extremely large buildings then (even though I just sort of have). It'd also be nonsense as the line is clearly shown diving straight under the undoubtedly very large tenements by Kelvinbridge. The route was chosen with an eye to minimise tunnelling under large buildings then?

The more I look at the precise route, the more impressed I am with it; it's very clever, actually, and quite a feat of surveying apart from anything else.

My understanding was that costs and/or legal permissions were involved if you went under property. but had free wayleave to tunnel under streets.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)