Wimpey Bars...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Wimpy Bars...

Postby Rucola » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:14 am

Fatman wrote:There is one near M&D's at Strathclyde Park and is/was one in Motherwell Town Centre.

The Motherwell one closed in the last year or so.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Friedbreed » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:26 am

Was there not one at Queen St /Argyle St...then it changed to Burger King?

Could have sworn I had a birthday party for my son in a Wimpy there, around 1991
Friedbreed
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Hervey » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:18 am

I first saw Wimpy bars in London in the early 60's, (or was it in the mid 50's)
and was intrigued by the company's reported motto " We Intend Making Profit Yearly"
What went wrong?
Hervey
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:36 pm

Hervey wrote:I first saw Wimpy bars in London in the early 60's, (or was it in the mid 50's)
and was intrigued by the company's reported motto " We Intend Making Profit Yearly"
What went wrong?

Wimpy pretty much had the UK burger market sown up until McDonalds moved in, the Mcd's franchises where cheaper to buy into and also had cheaper running costs as well as better back up supprt for franchise owners, the burgers where also cheaper than Wimpy, so it was bye bye wimpy, they struggled on until a take over by Burger King, who bought the Wimpy name and began to phase it out. The sold the name back in the mid 90's i think. By then BK had achieved what they wanted by building a restaraunt near every Mcds.

The ones that are still open are owned by Wimpy and are not franchises.

Just for the record Wimpy are actually South African owned, and outsell Mcdonalds etc. over there.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:26 pm

mcdonalds were one of the companies who signed up to a labour idea when gordon brown was pm to employ 16 year olds in their burger bars
yeah right no doubt they are being paid apprentice hourly rate of £2.60 to flip burgers and say "have a nice day now" what is it with the goverment nowadays who seem to think that young ones being a chef or working on building sites are a good career move? what about proper apprenticeships which were about 37 years ago when you worked with a qualified mechanic joiner or whatever and went to day release at college once a week far better than the modern apprenticeships where more time is spent in college than actually working on the job with your journeyman thats where youll learn not stuck in a classroom at college and proper apprenticeships paid were paid a proper rate which rose with each year completed
also what about proper engineers working on lathes or cnc machines ive never seen any apprenticeships advertised for this type of job in years
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:14 am

the researcher wrote:mcdonalds were one of the companies who signed up to a labour idea when gordon brown was pm to employ 16 year olds in their burger bars
yeah right no doubt they are being paid apprentice hourly rate of £2.60 to flip burgers and say "have a nice day now" what is it with the goverment nowadays who seem to think that young ones being a chef or working on building sites are a good career move? what about proper apprenticeships which were about 37 years ago when you worked with a qualified mechanic joiner or whatever and went to day release at college once a week far better than the modern apprenticeships where more time is spent in college than actually working on the job with your journeyman thats where youll learn not stuck in a classroom at college and proper apprenticeships paid were paid a proper rate which rose with each year completed
also what about proper engineers working on lathes or cnc machines ive never seen any apprenticeships advertised for this type of job in years

Academic qualifications are deemed more important than being actually able to do a job these days.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:24 pm

Apprentices at McDonadls receive an academic qualification even if they already have one. It would be interesting to research the outcomes of teh scheme.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:53 am

Friedbreed wrote:Was there not one at Queen St /Argyle St...then it changed to Burger King?

Could have sworn I had a birthday party for my son in a Wimpy there, around 1991

If I remember correctly, Ingram Street at the corner of Queen Street housed a Wimpy. Opposite side of the road to the Bank Of Scotland building.

There was a burger place in the station where BK is now - the name Casey Jones rings a bell, but probably not that. I remember waiting for a train there when I had been taken to the motor show as a wee boy back in the 80's
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:13 am

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:17 pm

Wasn't there a Wimpy Bar in Byres Road? Opened circa mid to late 70's. Possibly the first in Glasgow?
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:05 pm

Bingo Bango wrote:

There was a burger place in the station where BK is now - the name Casey Jones rings a bell, but probably not that. I remember waiting for a train there when I had been taken to the motor show as a wee boy back in the 80's

Definately the Casey Jones in the station.

My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:18 pm

Take you to the cinema and leave you in a Wimpy Bar.....
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:21 pm

BTJustice wrote:
Bingo Bango wrote:

Definately the Casey Jones in the station.

Casey Jones were, I think mostly or wholly owned by whatever-the-relevant-bit-of-ex-BR-is-called, so the only place you ever got them was in Railway stations.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:04 pm

Now .. about thon Wimpy in Byres road .. ?
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:29 pm

Doorstop wrote:Now .. about thon Wimpy in Byres road .. ?

Was it not in the same site as the old Burger King?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)