Hyndland station

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Hyndland station

Postby stunev » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:43 am

Network Rail have a planning application in for lift towers and a footbridge at Hyndland station. The good folks of the West end should look at the hideous structure at Dalmuir and start their campaigns and petitions now.
stunev
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Hyndland station

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:39 am

Hyndland station is hardly of great architectural merit as it stands.

Whilst I'd encourage all involved to make such changes as are required to provide disabled access as visually pleasing as possible, functionality has to be the main driver and if it came to a decision to do the works ASAP or wait till there's a bit more dosh to make it more aesthetically pleasing - I'd go for ASAP.

That said, I agree - Dalmuir is hideous.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stunev » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:07 am

I agree about the architectural merits of Hyndland station, given the size and scale of these towers, way out of proportion to their location, my main concern would be the impact on the look of the area.

For a number of years Netowork Rail had on their 'wish list' a suggestion to move Hyndland station into Gartnavel hospital, if they're going ahead with this then presumeably they've scrapped that idea.
stunev
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:26 am

stunev wrote:I agree about the architectural merits of Hyndland station, given the size and scale of these towers, way out of proportion to their location, my main concern would be the impact on the look of the area.

I'm unclear what you're saying here.

Should the fact it'll probably look quite dreadful override the need to provide disabled access to part of the public transport network, particularly at a location serving a hospital?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:59 pm

The plan if I remember correctly was to add 2 additional running lines / platform faces @ Hyndland, whilst retaining the current island platform .
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:42 pm

Does that mean you'll be able (allowed?) to enter and exit the train on both sides?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:53 pm

stunev wrote:I agree about the architectural merits of Hyndland station, given the size and scale of these towers, way out of proportion to their location, my main concern would be the impact on the look of the area.

For a number of years Netowork Rail had on their 'wish list' a suggestion to move Hyndland station into Gartnavel hospital, if they're going ahead with this then presumeably they've scrapped that idea.

That went down the pan with NHSGGC redevlopment of the Gartnavel site and also the fact that part of the site was marked to be sold for housing development which never came about with the property market crash.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:47 pm

The Egg Man wrote:Does that mean you'll be able (allowed?) to enter and exit the train on both sides?

No, doors can only be de-energised from one side

There was talk a few years ago of relocating to the other side of the bridges on Clarence drive, which would be a better idea
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Why does it have to be lift towers, can't they use the underpass and build a lift shaft downwards ? It should be fairly easy to build a small structure at the Gartnavel end to take the other shaft.

I have to say most of the wheelchair users I know hate using trains as they aren't confident that the ramp will be ready at their destination.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:02 pm

glasgowken wrote:I have to say most of the wheelchair users I know hate using trains as they aren't confident that the ramp will be ready at their destination.

I can understand that 100% but all trains carry a ramp so that the on train crew can/should assist, this has to be checked prior to initial dispatch, the train can be failed if it doesnt carry one and a replacement cant be found in time, altho on DOO trains the biggest problem is if the train has no TE, on conductor trains they usually put the passenger on the rear 3 if it is a 6car, as that is where we are found.

Also have the people phone the disabled assistance number as they can book assistance at the other end, 0800 9122901, also they can request that the person helping them on the train can call ahead to their destination station, I know that if i have a wheelchair passenger on board, i make sure im there or thereabouts when the passenger is due to get off, but i cant state the same for other staff, as we all operate differently
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:37 am

I know of a few people who have been left waiting because the message didn't get along to the right person. Not just small stations, it's happened at main line stations including Waverly.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:42 am

glasgowken wrote:I know of a few people who have been left waiting because the message didn't get along to the right person. Not just small stations, it's happened at main line stations including Waverly.

Wavereley are a total joke, its East Coast that do disabled assistance and ive noticed they dont turn up half the time either
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)