Pooper Scoopers .........

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Pooper Scoopers .........

Postby Boxer6 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:57 pm

.... or something.

Heard on the radio yesterday and today adverts which stated dog owners who allow their pets to defecate on the public highway/footpath within the City limits, and don't lift it, will have their dogs seized and handed to the SSPCA, who will then re-home them.

Has anyone else heard of this? Do the clowncil actually have the power to seize dogs under such circumstances? Who will do it? And, will it go the same way as the scheme where people idling at the kerb, littering etc would be penalised financially? (Certainly hasn't happened anywhere round where I work, to whit Springburn, Milton, Possil et al)

As a responsible owner who (a) scoops the poop and (b) doesn't live in Glasgow, this doesn't directly affect me, but it does strike me as a wee bit O.T.T.

Anyone else think the same?

(I know, I know - I'm really asking for trouble here!!)
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Pooper Scoopers .........

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:18 pm

It's August. All sorts of shite stories are making 'headlines'.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby oddjobby » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:19 am

I don't think the council have the power to remove and re-home a dog because it's crapped the grass. It sounds like scare-tactics.

Here in Stevenston we have dog wardens (apparently, I've never seen them) who watch for people letting their dogs foul and then walk away. I asked a council guy a few months ago when I was in getting poop bags, he said there has to be two witnesses having seen someone let their dog foul, and then a fixed penalty of £60 can be issued. I've never heard of anyone getting a fixed penalty though.
www.soulsearchers.org.uk
oddjobby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:35 am

oddjobby wrote:I don't think the council have the power to remove and re-home a dog because it's crapped the grass. It sounds like scare-tactics.

Here in Stevenston we have dog wardens (apparently, I've never seen them) who watch for people letting their dogs foul and then walk away. I asked a council guy a few months ago when I was in getting poop bags, he said there has to be two witnesses having seen someone let their dog foul, and then a fixed penalty of £60 can be issued. I've never heard of anyone getting a fixed penalty though.

Well, that's what I thought too. I've yet to see anyone "pull up" a driver for sitting with his/her engine running for "no proper reason", nor have I seen anyone get even spoken to for littering! Mind, I've also thought anyone who tried that in Possil would need several brave pills!!
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pingu » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:00 am

the council litter wardens pull people up in the city centre (£50 fine) but after a trial in castlemilk i think they decided to just stick to the city centre

whatever clown decided it was a good idea to sent them to castlemilk should be done for putting them in risk of their lives
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:26 am

Anyone who habitually fails to pick up after their dog should have their dog rehomed. If they won't do something as basic as picking up the shit, what else are they failing to do- booster shots, flea treatments... They make me sick.
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby busdriver » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:44 pm

Dog Wardens in action.
Best Council decision ever. :wink:
Last edited by busdriver on Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Shazbat » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:58 pm

I don't understand why some people get as far as bagging the 'poop' only to leave it on the pavement or, stranger, tie it to a railing. City and country. Lazy f*ckwits
Shazbat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:40 pm

Shazbat wrote:I don't understand why some people get as far as bagging the 'poop' only to leave it on the pavement or, stranger, tie it to a railing. City and country. Lazy f*ckwits

Me neither!

On a lighter note - I realised a while ago that the only jacket or coat I own that doesn't have poop-scoop bags in at least one pocket, is the jacket I wear to work! 8O
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:15 am

Shazbat wrote:I don't understand why some people get as far as bagging the 'poop' only to leave it on the pavement or, stranger, tie it to a railing. City and country. Lazy f*ckwits

:), so I am not the only one that has seen this, and am not going crazy! I really don't understand it. Round Cathcart way, the railings that used to be there before the flood works were overflowing in little blue bags of poop. Most had liquified it had been there that long.

Animals.
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:28 pm

I read somewhere (on here maybe?) that dog walkers will bag the poop and hang it up with a view to collecting to deposit correctly at the end of the walk as opposed to carrying a little stinky bag of crap around with them. Not sure whether I buy this though!! Dog walkers... is this true?

And doesn't explain why a couple of months ago the gutter running the length of my street was peppered with bags of shit - how? why? wtf?
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby oddjobby » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:50 am

I've seen that too, it's mental. Why go to the bother of picking it up in the first place if you're going to leave it. I do carry the bag (between two fingers) for the rest of the walk or until I can see a poo bin. I feel like a muppet carrying a bag of poo right enough!

Of course, when I do find a bin, the wee fur-ball will smell a new smell and pull the lead just as I'm opening the trap lid of the bin... sometimes it's not pretty! ::):
www.soulsearchers.org.uk
oddjobby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:23 am

oddjobby wrote: ....... Of course, when I do find a bin, the wee fur-ball will smell a new smell and pull the lead just as I'm opening the trap lid of the bin... sometimes it's not pretty! ::):

Been there ... with my two, they're usually trying to go opposite ways, too! Gits!
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:08 pm

They don't mess about in Dundee

Fair trial mind you.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:43 pm

You could always take your dug for a walk while carrying a Tam Shepherds plastic turd in a semi transparent Morrisons poly bag.

Your hound can then crap with complete impunity and stay free to wander.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)