Mobile Phone Advice

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Mobile Phone Advice

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Tue May 31, 2011 10:26 am

Follks

I am toying with upgrading my mobile phone and service provider. I am with a well known company but always feel it's coverage is poor at times, especially in the remote areas of Oban, Inverrary and Partick! Tea and Oranges don't seem to go down too well in these places....

I just can't keep up with all the technology now and have been advised to look into Android, iPad4 and something called HDCI or something like that.

I've tried trawling the net but can't really get to grips with the jargon, etc. It is an age thing, :) - or i am just thick, :)!

Anybody in the know about these things, could you give me a few pointers?

Thanks
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Mobile Phone Advice

Postby tobester » Tue May 31, 2011 3:47 pm

The best selling android phones just now are the HTC Desire range....i have the desire which is quite good altrhough being on o2 i find reception at times is pretty crap too.

The Desire S is supposed to be good, altho the Samsung Galaxy S gets a good write up too.

As for network, i think 3 is meant to be good for smart phones, altho best way is for users of other networks to add to here
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue May 31, 2011 4:16 pm

Galaxy S is the dogs clackers. Fin.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby strange brew » Tue May 31, 2011 5:47 pm

If you're looking for a smartphone, which is bascially a phone made for web browsing, email, gaming etc, then the ones above are good suggestions. Expensive if you're on Pay as you Go though, most smartphones are £400 or so. Android is the operating system which most smartphones run on and it's very good but can be a bit difficult to get used to if you aren't too tech-minded. If you're an Apple fan then the iPhone would be for you although again they are very costly.

If you're just after a basic phone-and-text thing then something like the Nokia C1 http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-c1-01 would suit you. Go into a phone shop and try a few cheap ones out and see what you think, Carphone Warehouse a good place to start as they sell their phones unlocked (ie. not locked to any one network).

As for networks, I find Giffgaff is by far the cheapest for PAYG. They run on O2's network which has patchy coverage in places so best to check here - http://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker
They're also an entirely web-based service with no call centres so if you don't like the idea of relying on their site to get help then don't bother.
If you do fancy it, sign up at the link below and you'll get £5 free credit...
https://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/onefivefour
strange brew
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Grahame » Tue May 31, 2011 7:47 pm

I think Vodafone has the best coverage in the remoter parts of Scotland. I've even managed to make calls from the ferry on its way to Shetland when other networks have failed.

Second on the Android front for the smartphones - even on a monthly contract its £15 cheaper than the iPhone, and your not tethered into a fruit-based diet :)
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Tue May 31, 2011 9:04 pm

Thanks guys, this information is helpful although I am struggling just a little with all the choices. As always these things are subjective but I am trying to go through all the information and links in order that when it comes time to upgrade, I can make an informed choice.

I am currently on a contract which has now expired, so I can be released from the current provider (thankfully as their calls always seem to drop in areas like Knightswood, Whiteinch, Partick and other parts of the city).

Vodaphone does appear to be coming up trumps when I ask others, so it's just down to me to make the choice now. However, I am still open to suggestions and further information and will welcome any advice. I also thank you in advance!
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pamd » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:23 am

I work for HP and get a decent discount on products. At the moment there is a special offer on their Palm Pre 2 smartphone - a fairly decent phone with all the bells and whistles. Has both qwerty keyboard and touch screen. The phone is unlocked which means you can go with any provider - I was looking at a £10 sim only deal through Three last night. Has a one month rolling contract, 3000 texts and 100 mins call time (from memory). Anyway, the phone would be £149.99 if you're interested (thats a few hundred discount from retail price).
My treasures do not ching together or glitter. They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night - Bedouin proverb
pamd
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:00 am

Thanks for the guidance.

I prefer to have a contract with my phone company whoever that's going to be, still not decided as to the type of phone yet but narrowing down the providers now. One thing is for sure, it will not be with my existing provider and thank God, I am on a contract otherwise I would be billed for calls that are constantly cut off...
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:10 am

HTC Desire S ... Talkmoble .. Cracking deal .. Free handset. 500 free minutes, 1000 free texts, 1Gig data .. £18 a month.

Cannot beat that anywhere .. Android here I come.

Do it through Quidco and you get £55 back too. Nice.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)