Glasgow Street names?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Closet Classicist » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:14 pm

Sorry for tardiness but just came across this thread!

Glasgowpub wrote:

theres quite a few streets in south glasgow that have a reference to Mary queen of scots due to the close vicinity to the battle of langside. off the top of my head, we have dundrennan rd, named after the abbey mary fled to after the battle. darnley st after one of her hubbys. lochleven rd. is so named because mary was held prisoner there. you could include the Fotheringay pub, Fotheringay was where Mary was sadly executed . im sure theres more streets with a Mary connection.

You are right. This is a Pollokshields thing. Its all to do with the Maxwell family who owned and feued off the land that now forms the 'shields. They were supporters of Mary hence the connection and names. As well as Fotheringay Road which is where I live (and should correctly be Fotheringhay) and Darnley Road there are also Beaton (Cardinal Beaton of course), and Dolphin Roads. The last would appear the odd one out but it isn't! This is in fact an anglicised version of Dauphin i.e. the heir to the french throne that Mary was betrothed to. Apparently the post office thought no Glaswegian would be able to pronounce it which was why they changed it. How odd and rather patronising!

Cheers

CC
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:42 pm

PlasticDel wrote:
dr_lightning wrote:Maybe it's a "New Town" thing...

Must be.

My (new) town does it too. Gigha, Barra, Pladda, Mull, Lewis.... The other side of the road has Munro's or mountains, or whatever the hell they are.

Irvine by any chance? ::):
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:43 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:East Kilbride has a number of streets named after Hebridean Islands. For some peculiar reason however, they are not "Streets" or even "Roads", just the name of the island. Number 20 Mull or 36b Tiree.

Used to give you a bit of a shock in the taxi queue at night I can tell you.
"Right driver, take us to Mull"

Didn't EK used to have a whole load of streets named after Canada? I have a vague memory of visiting an aunt there as a child who lived in some canadian themed place - and i'm sure it wasn't actually Canada, as we drove....
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:40 pm

Closet Classicist wrote:
You are right. This is a Pollokshields thing. Its all to do with the Maxwell family who owned and feued off the land that now forms the 'shields. They were supporters of Mary hence the connection and names. As well as Fotheringay Road which is where I live (and should correctly be Fotheringhay) and Darnley Road there are also Beaton (Cardinal Beaton of course), and Dolphin Roads. The last would appear the odd one out but it isn't! This is in fact an anglicised version of Dauphin i.e. the heir to the french throne that Mary was betrothed to. Apparently the post office thought no Glaswegian would be able to pronounce it which was why they changed it. How odd and rather patronising!

Cheers

CC

Behind the high ground of Camphill commanded by the Regent Moray are of course Regent Park Square and Moray Place off Pollokshaws Road.

Then there's Grange Road at the Victoria Infirmary named after Kirkcaldy of Grange who held the high ground behind the hospital and who had met Mary previously at Carberry Hill.

There's also Bolton Drive on Clincart Hill (next to Mount Florida Station) where Mary's troops mustered. Once in England after Langside, Mary was first imprisoned in Bolton Castle.

After the battle she fled with Lord Herries to his home Terregles. Both names which feature in Maxwell Park.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:43 pm

mooshimooshisan wrote:Didn't EK used to have a whole load of streets named after Canada? I have a vague memory of visiting an aunt there as a child who lived in some canadian themed place - and i'm sure it wasn't actually Canada, as we drove....

Aye... I've a pal who stays in EK. The streets in Westwood are Canadian (and American I think), Montreal, Vancouver etc..

Where I stay the streets are named after Scottish islands.
Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:45 am

Behind the high ground of Camphill commanded by the Regent Moray are of course Regent Park Square and Moray Place off Pollokshaws Road.

Then there's Grange Road at the Victoria Infirmary named after Kirkcaldy of Grange who held the high ground behind the hospital and who had met Mary previously at Carberry Hill.

There's also Bolton Drive on Clincart Hill (next to Mount Florida Station) where Mary's troops mustered. Once in England after Langside, Mary was first imprisoned in Bolton Castle.

After the battle she fled with Lord Herries to his home Terregles. Both names which feature in Maxwell Park.

Thanks Schiehallion. Thats Herries Road, Terregles Avenue and Kirkcaldy Road ticked off my list as well. Now I just need find the origin for Mariscat Road which is also just around the corner. Could this be a shortening / combination of Mary and Scot?
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby paladin » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:29 am

Closet Classicist wrote:Now I just need find the origin for Mariscat Road which is also just around the corner.

A possible source would be to Google in 'mariscat', at the top of the search there is a now defunct website that was Mariscat Press and indeed the details pertain to this road, so this guy would probably have a good inkling to the origin of the naming of the street as folklore poets usually have this sort of information. Worth a try?
Good luck :)
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:10 pm

Thanks Paladin. I had tried that yesterday actually. Mariscat Press dominates the Google search pages for mariscat. Was interested to see that they publish Edwin Morgan's work.
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby paladin » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:15 pm

Closet Classicist wrote: Edwin Morgan

The 'Scots Makar', perhaps another possible source of origin to Mariscat, if you could pose the question to him? :)
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

ugly sister

Postby yourebarred » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:38 pm

i live in govanhill, surrounded by victoria road, annette street and daisy street. i live on garturk, surely the ugly sister..
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:54 pm

Just been reading about Parkhead in Ian Mitchell's "This City Now: Glasgow and its Working Class Past" that Springfield Road used to be called "Dry Thrapple Lane" because of the "stour" that was kicked up before it was paved!
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby scaryman2u » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:17 pm

There are no streets in pollok just roads, avenues crescents etc... ::):
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:05 am

Hope Street in the city center used to be named Copenhagen Street.

So the Duke of Wellington (Wellington Street) fought at the battle of Waterloo (Waterloo St). His name was Arthur Wellesley (Wellesley House was an MOD building demolished to make way for Sentinel along at Bothwell St/Wellington St beside the timber car park)

Copenhagen was the name of the big mans horse!
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:23 pm

Bingo Bango wrote:Copenhagen was the name of the big mans horse!

Wonderful, wonderful! :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby GlasWeb » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:49 pm

never liked the chookie anyway!

GlasWeb
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)