Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:55 pm

Bring on the empty horses :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby GlasWeb » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:34 pm

Another Duke!

Last edited by GlasWeb on Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
GlasWeb
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:50 pm

Too right we will..... we dont put up wae that pish up here ... ::):
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:05 pm

Image Image Image
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:04 pm

on the strret name thing . All the streets etc in Knightswood are taken from the book Ivanhoe. Fuck bet all you cunts will sleep after knowing that eh! :?
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:02 pm

Suburbia is where they bulldoze all the trees then name the streets after them.

8O
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby bigross » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:49 am

Apollo wrote:I think you're on a loser with the shortest, I've had a rummage through my GPS and there are any number of streets of similar or shorter length to Clayslaps Road.

I'd probably wager safe that you'd have to go on foot to find it as anything short enough to qualify won't show up on maps that mortals can afford.

On that basis, I have been offered the following, but as its not local to me, some brave foot soldier would need to go and confirm:

Langbank Street, Gorbals - 30 feet long runs off Eglinton Street.

St George's Place at the underground is pretty short. Bishop Lane off Bishop Street next to the BT building in Anderston can't be more than 20 feet. Problem is, most maps mistakenly call Bishop Street Bishop Lane. The signposts here confirm the correct namings though.
bigross
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Glasgow Street names?

Postby sandabound » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:43 pm

I live in th east end in an area called Springhill, the Streets were named after 2 of the office tubes were told name those Streets then come to the xmas lunch with the rest of us.

So they did, Springcroft Rd, Springcroft Gardens, Springcroft Wynd, Springcroft avenue, in fact Springcroft et al, are we getting a theme here ? thank fek for email i say.

On the Mary Queen of Scots theme i remember being told (awrite taught) at School that Polmadie was named after Mary's horse whose name was Pol, was told whilst fleeing from the authorities that her horse would die if it didn't get some rest said, Pol may dee (Polmadie) that i might flee.
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:11 pm

Where's our Gaelic gezzer when you need him.

" The name Polmadie comes from the Gaelic - Poll Mac Dè: Poll = pool - Mac = of the sons - De'= God (pool of the sons of god)."

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/955242

and welcome aboard sanda, more contributions here.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sandabound » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:52 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Where's our Gaelic gezzer when you need him.

" The name Polmadie comes from the Gaelic - Poll Mac Dè: Poll = pool - Mac = of the sons - De'= God (pool of the sons of god)."

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/955242

and welcome aboard sanda, more contributions here.

Cheers Dexter
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:24 pm

sandabound wrote:I live in th east end in an area called Springhill, the Streets were named after 2 of the office tubes were told name those Streets then come to the xmas lunch with the rest of us.

So they did, Springcroft Rd, Springcroft Gardens, Springcroft Wynd, Springcroft avenue, in fact Springcroft et al, are we getting a theme here ? thank fek for email i say.

On the Mary Queen of Scots theme i remember being told (awrite taught) at School that Polmadie was named after Mary's horse whose name was Pol, was told whilst fleeing from the authorities that her horse would die if it didn't get some rest said, Pol may dee (Polmadie) that i might flee.

Like a true Scot, I like this explanation best of all, it has a touch of romance, legend and myth and that's much better than the Gaelic translation....more tourists if we stick with the above story (possibly)...
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby hungryjoe » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:34 pm

bigross wrote:
Apollo wrote:I think you're on a loser with the shortest, I've had a rummage through my GPS and there are any number of streets of similar or shorter length to Clayslaps Road.

I'd probably wager safe that you'd have to go on foot to find it as anything short enough to qualify won't show up on maps that mortals can afford.

On that basis, I have been offered the following, but as its not local to me, some brave foot soldier would need to go and confirm:

Langbank Street, Gorbals - 30 feet long runs off Eglinton Street.

St George's Place at the underground is pretty short. Bishop Lane off Bishop Street next to the BT building in Anderston can't be more than 20 feet. Problem is, most maps mistakenly call Bishop Street Bishop Lane. The signposts here confirm the correct namings though.

Littlehill Street in Springburn's quite wee.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:04 pm

I thought the deal with Clayslaps Rd being the shortest is that it's the one which is still the length it was built as. Others may be shorter but, as I understand it, it's due to partial demolition.

Melrose Street, between Gt Western Rd and Queen's Crescent, must be a candidate too.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pwm437 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:18 am

Speaking of short streets, Wyper Place, the wee cul-de-sac at the side of the Bellgrove Hotel on Gallowgate has got to be up there with Clayslaps Road and Langbank Street.
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)