West Princes Street

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: West Princes Street

Postby Bridie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:49 am

Grahame wrote:
Bridie wrote:side stepping the thread a wee bit - was that the part of Scottish Ballet which came under the umbrella of Robin Anderson, brother of Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull and is he still there?

Aye, Robin Anderson was the General Administrator back in Peter Darrell's day - the studio theatre was named after him. He's been retired for several years now, but he still pops up at SB reunion events from time to time (as do the rest of us!).

Did he ever talk about his famous (more) brother? ::):
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Grahame » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:16 am

Bridie wrote:Did he ever talk about his famous (more) brother? ::):

He did; in fact he got him to compose music for a ballet called 'The Water's Edge' back in 1979, that was choreographed by Robert North. There is a bit of a funny anecdote there actually. I don't know how true this is, but this is how I heard it...

The piece was part of a triple-bill of new works commissioned to celebrate the company's 20th anniversary. For one of the other pieces, called 'Ursprung', they asked Jon Anderson of Yes to write the music. Allegedly, Jon's agent, having heard that Ian Anderson was doing a piece, phoned Robin to demand that Jon be paid an equal fee. Well, since Ian was doing it as a favour for his brother... let's just say that's how the Ballet ended up getting two top-class rock music scores for free... ::):
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:42 pm

Was in the TA Cameronians back in the 1950s and used to drill and use the rifle range at this place.
They had a big indoor lorry garage. Full of old Korean war stuff. They had searchlights with big diesel generators. Plus
mobile lorry radar and radio vans. Sort of struck me as most of the stuff was "hand me downs" from the regular army.
Dont throw it away just yet we might find a use for it. I recall going to a TA summer camp in N. Ireland. The camp had large hangers full of old Morris 4 ton trucks. All of WW2 vintage. Our job. To change the oil. Start them up. Turn the engines over. Drive them round the parade ground and put them back in the hanger. Did that two years running.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:30 am

Grahame wrote:
Bridie wrote:Did he ever talk about his famous (more) brother? ::):

He did; in fact he got him to compose music for a ballet called 'The Water's Edge' back in 1979, that was choreographed by Robert North. There is a bit of a funny anecdote there actually. I don't know how true this is, but this is how I heard it...

The piece was part of a triple-bill of new works commissioned to celebrate the company's 20th anniversary. For one of the other pieces, called 'Ursprung', they asked Jon Anderson of Yes to write the music. Allegedly, Jon's agent, having heard that Ian Anderson was doing a piece, phoned Robin to demand that Jon be paid an equal fee. Well, since Ian was doing it as a favour for his brother... let's just say that's how the Ballet ended up getting two top-class rock music scores for free... ::):

::): ::):
I didn't realise his brother was a dancer although I knew he was connected to Scottish Ballet in some way. The creativity runs in the family - I often thought about the ballet connection with the opening of Tull's A Passion Play.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)