Help Me Find A Pic

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Help Me Find A Pic

Postby ibtg » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:48 pm

I had a chat with the guy today, Bridie - and despite knowing loads about Maryhill, he had never come across Lochburn Rest. Unfortunately, he did suggest that, given her age and the fact she was in service, it is most likely she was in the Magdalene. I checked the indexes for the 1901 census and the 1891 census and there was no mention of a Lochburn Rest, but as well as the Magdalene, there was an Industrial School as well, so she may have been there, depending on dates.

As you said yourself, the children could end up in the Magdalene (or the Industrial School) for any reason, either because they were orphaned or their parent(s) couldn't cope. He did tell me that the Magdalene in Maryhill was not run by Nuns, but by the Church of Scotland.

As for the term 'rest' - it could be anything, as far as I know - a house, an institution, a covered or uncovered shelter, etc. Sorry I can't be of more help, but if you pm me you Gran's name and her birthdate, I will try to find out more. I assume you have already been on ScotlandsPeople to get census information etc.?
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Avenger » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:16 pm

Sorry if this is totally off the mark but the old TUC Club premises on Maryhill Road (now framptons) was I think a servicemans hospital and is conveniently situated between Bilsland Drive and Lochburn Road. I had a book on old Maryhill by Bill Hutton (name could be wrong) and I'm sure there was a photograph in that of some servicemen in the hospital can't find the book now (I'll try the loft later) but from memory it must have been taken late 1800/early 1900's.
Avenger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:43 pm

Bridie wrote:I've hijacked this thread because I need some help and not just in general :wink:

Help Me Find A Map

of a place called Lochburn Rest which would have been in the vicinity of Lochburn? (was there a place?) Lambhill/ Maryhill area. Also is there a general significance with the word "rest" was it a stile/house etc?
It might also have been a large house around the turn of the last century.

Could Lochburn Rest have been an early or local term for what is now called Lambhill Stables, a resting place for the canal horses?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:45 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Sorry I didn't get back,ibtg,as to the name of the map I was referring to - I will when I speak to my aunt again at the end of the week :D

My gran lived, as a child,in the miners cottages at Blackhill Row,Blackhill Road, Lambhill with about ten in the house. She told me about sharing an outside hut- like toilet block with all the residents :D - amazed to find a detailed description of them here;
http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/373.html
I tried to find the exact location,or as near to the row,I assumed it might be around here somewhere, I know her and her sister walked,barefoot,to St Agnes's school in Lambhill.

http://g.co/maps/38f8z

I've made the assumption that this row of houses may have been built on the site of the old row.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:50 pm

Avenger wrote:Sorry if this is totally off the mark but the old TUC Club premises on Maryhill Road (now framptons) was I think a servicemans hospital and is conveniently situated between Bilsland Drive and Lochburn Road. I had a book on old Maryhill by Bill Hutton (name could be wrong) and I'm sure there was a photograph in that of some servicemen in the hospital can't find the book now (I'll try the loft later) but from memory it must have been taken late 1800/early 1900's.

I think you mean one of the Stenlake books by Guthrie Hutton. I've looked through both books (Old Maryhill and Bygone Maryhill) and I can only see reference to a soldiers hospital having been set up for a while in East Park home. Was it (Framptons) permanently a hospital at that time, being near the Barracks, or just for wartime?

Bridie, I have also checked Old Cowcaddens, Possilpark and Lambhill by Andrew Stuart and haven't found anything about either Lochburn or miners cottages, although the book by Bill Taylor mentions the Row your Gran lived in, but no pictures.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dingdong » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:01 am

When i was very young our next door neighbour told us canal stories he had worked and stayed in the cottage just at the Lochburn road canal bridge called the junction of that bit of the canal as the rest,think its was where horses were changed and rested.
dingdong
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:54 pm

dingdong wrote:When i was very young our next door neighbour told us canal stories he had worked and stayed in the cottage just at the Lochburn road canal bridge called the junction of that bit of the canal as the rest,think its was where horses were changed and rested.

I know where you mean dindong :D . My ancestors also (moved about a bit) and stayed in canal cottages further up (or down) 8O the canal somewhere under the Lambhill bridge, on the right bank, about here;

http://g.co/maps/ydah8

Could someone post a link to a picture of Lochburn Rd canal bridge or even the old railway station?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:43 am

Avenger wrote:Sorry if this is totally off the mark but the old TUC Club premises on Maryhill Road (now framptons) was I think a servicemans hospital and is conveniently situated between Bilsland Drive and Lochburn Road. I had a book on old Maryhill by Bill Hutton (name could be wrong) and I'm sure there was a photograph in that of some servicemen in the hospital can't find the book now (I'll try the loft later) but from memory it must have been taken late 1800/early 1900's.

I've found that photo now, Avenger. It wasn't a hospital, it was a soldier's home. Newlyweds could spend their honeymoon night there, if unable to afford a hotel; and soldiers could rent a room to escape the rigours of the barracks. After the home closed, it then was used by the Red Cross for a while, before being used by the TUC.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ibtg » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:37 am

I reckon the photos you are interested in are in the two Stenlake Maryhill books I mentioned above, Bridie. If someone can advise me on copyright, I might post them.

The website for Stenlake is http://www.stenlake.co.uk

Dingdong - thanks for solving the mystery; word-of-mouth local history wins again - and eggman wasn't too far off the mark. I'll give this info to my 'Maryhill man', I'm sure he will be interested. :)
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:53 pm

ibtg wrote:I reckon the photos you are interested in are in the two Stenlake Maryhill books I mentioned above, Bridie. If someone can advise me on copyright, I might post them.

The website for Stenlake is http://www.stenlake.co.uk

Dingdong - thanks for solving the mystery; word-of-mouth local history wins again - and eggman wasn't too far off the mark. I'll give this info to my 'Maryhill man', I'm sure he will be interested. :)

Thanks ibtg I am going to get a copy of a couple of those books. My aunt can't remember where she saw the name Lochburn Rest she said she looked at that many maps ::): She thinks it was possibly a farmhouse.
I was lucky to have walked the length and breadth of Balmore Road, Lambhill with my gran and her sister in the early 60's and listened to many of the stories they told of the place and people.
I don't know much about the Lambhill Stables but do they have an interest in local people's stories?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:08 pm

Info on Lambhill Stables at http://www.lambhillstables.org/ + they've had a couple of mentions on HG.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:17 pm

The Egg Man wrote:Info on Lambhill Stables at http://www.lambhillstables.org/ + they've had a couple of mentions on HG.

Thanks! that would appear to be new website since the last time I tried to find out about the place.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:32 pm

It's had a makeover since they didn't succeed with their 2012-2013 Climate Challenge Fund funding application + they've had vandalism/ fireraising problems.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dingdong » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:36 am

Not on topic but when I was young my Granpa who had been a soldier stationed at Maryhill barracks took me down to the Kelvindale steps entrance to the under construction barracks estate to show me the campaign maps that were on the walls next to the steps does anyone have a pic of these?Only asking on this thread as lots of Maryhill info on here.
dingdong
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:25 am

Revisiting this thread as it's sort of relevant.

I'm trying to locate both in picture and detail- Lambhill Crescent, Lambhill, Glasgow.

I have an old document and the person who signed it (1917) stated Lambhill, nr Glasgow :)
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)