Postby north glasgow dave » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:25 am

what a state the roads are in..
north glasgow dave
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: potholes

Postby hungryjoe » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:25 am

Shocking.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BillM » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:51 pm

I photographed this one in Govan a couple of weeks ago. A double decker bus could almost disappear into it.

But potholes are not new in Glasgow and cannot all be blamed on the hard winter, it's been a problem for years. If the council had spent the £74M blown on a big white elephant at the Riverside museum on essentials like roads instead, the city would be better off.
BillM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hazy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:15 pm

BillM How can something that aint open yet be a white elephnat. Some of the money generated for the mueseum is charity generated . On the state of the roads your right they are a feckin mess but surely the cooncil like the rest of us had no idea that the devistation caused by the harsh conditions was absolutly unforeseen. I would like to know the percentage of road tax money that is generated is actually given to local autourities.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby oddjobby » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:31 am

I agree Bill, it's a disgrace. I started a thread on here about it at New Year after hitting a few of them driving through the south side. At the time my car didn't seem damaged, but now 4 weeks later, my steering is wonky and will need booked in to the garage.

Hazy, that's a good point about what percentage of Road Tax is spent on roads. We would assume that by calling it 'road tax' that it would be for the upkeep of the roads we drive on, but according my brother, all tax is pooled in to the one pot, so it doesn't necessarily go on roads.

I disagree about the unexpected weather though. We've had hard winters for the past 4 years, so if I expected a bad winter, I don't see why the councils didn't.
www.soulsearchers.org.uk
oddjobby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:11 am

oddjobby wrote:I agree Bill, it's a disgrace. I started a thread on here about it at New Year after hitting a few of them driving through the south side. At the time my car didn't seem damaged, but now 4 weeks later, my steering is wonky and will need booked in to the garage.

Hazy, that's a good point about what percentage of Road Tax is spent on roads. We would assume that by calling it 'road tax' that it would be for the upkeep of the roads we drive on, but according my brother, all tax is pooled in to the one pot, so it doesn't necessarily go on roads.

I disagree about the unexpected weather though. We've had hard winters for the past 4 years, so if I expected a bad winter, I don't see why the councils didn't.

It was originally called The Road Fund License, and was still called that when I started driving in the early seventies.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

council workers

Postby north glasgow dave » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:24 am

saw two council workers shovelling tarmac into a pothole that was half full of water..they then packed it into the pothole with a compactor, they then got back in the flatbed transit..and drove off..two days later it was as bad as ever..

typical council cowboys..
north glasgow dave
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:43 am

hungryjoe wrote:
oddjobby wrote:...

We would assume that by calling it 'road tax' that it would be for the upkeep of the roads we drive on, but according my brother, all tax is pooled in to the one pot, so it doesn't necessarily go on roads.

It was originally called The Road Fund License, and was still called that when I started driving in the early seventies.

It's still called that if you're within earshot of my dad. :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:27 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:
hungryjoe wrote:
oddjobby wrote:...

We would assume that by calling it 'road tax' that it would be for the upkeep of the roads we drive on, but according my brother, all tax is pooled in to the one pot, so it doesn't necessarily go on roads.

It's still called that if you're within earshot of my dad. :)

The correct term is "Fucking Typically Governmental Raping of the Motorist Tax" ........ oh, sorry, that's just my term for it!!

What I meant to say was, "Vehicle Excise Duty".

Yep. That's it.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby oddjobby » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:34 am

:) spot on boxer! ::):
www.soulsearchers.org.uk
oddjobby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cell » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:41 pm

I've always thought they should get rid of road tax and put it on fuel, this would be much fairer as the amount you would pay would be in direct proportion to the distance you drive (road use) with an environmental factor for the fuel efficiency of your vehicle.

Road tax must cost a fortune to collect, why not get the oil companies to do it for you?

Of course it will never happen in today's knee jerk politics, petrol prices are too much of a hot issue, but if the sum raised remained the same, owners of small cars who did few miles could benefit greatly.

The question about what proportion of the money raised was spent on roads will always be debatable, just because you raise it from one source doesn't mean you spend it on that, tax the bad to fund the good should be the motto.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby brickwall » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:03 pm

plus they can employ loads of civil servants to administer the system. Same with TV license
eh?
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:33 pm

Latest news from the scottish government is that they are no longer called potholes and are to be renamed inverted speedbumps, so as of this morning there are no potholes on any road in scotland
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:04 pm

tobester wrote:Latest news from the scottish government is that they are no longer called potholes and are to be renamed inverted speedbumps, so as of this morning there are no potholes on any road in scotland

no matter what the scottish goverment call them they are still a hazard especially to cyclists
also how can they be called inverted speed bumps when they werent speed bumps to start with!
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby shuffle » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:01 pm

the researcher wrote:
tobester wrote:Latest news from the scottish government is that they are no longer called potholes and are to be renamed inverted speedbumps, so as of this morning there are no potholes on any road in scotland

no matter what the scottish goverment call them they are still a hazard especially to cyclists
also how can they be called inverted speed bumps when they werent speed bumps to start with!

Hmmm. Do you think he was maybe joking?
shuffle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)