potholes

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: potholes

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:40 pm

hungryjoe wrote:I'm not surprised.

You don't know me very well...
End of.

Pfft! ::):
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Boxer6 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:35 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Thank for your concerns about the pedestrians.

I'm more concerned about the fannies by the wheel and how drunk , drugged or just plain speeding they were. Or were they all sober and stupid in charge of 5000 pounds of metal. I'm sure the drivers took on board all of your fatuous stats before they set out. Like a risk assessment.

Here's some more stats.

430 killed in cars driven by drunks in 2007.

As a (advanced) driver, frequent cyclist and pedestrian, in addition to being (I hope) a fairly well rounded human being, of course I'm concerned about the pedestrians; I'm also well aware of the number of drunk/drug-drivers there are out there, which almost certainly is much higher than any official figures would suggest.

However, it doesn't take more than a wander round any city or town centre at night to observe that a significant number of pedestrians are inebriated (on a variety of licit and illicit substances), and will often step out into the road heedless of what may already be there. I have witnessed it myself on a number of occasions, some of which have been friends or work colleagues of mine. Luckily, none of these has resulted in a fatality, but that was due to no more than pure, dumb luck.

Yes, I agree that drivers should drive according to ALL prevailing circumstances; unfortunately, the vast majority of drivers pass their test and seem to stop learning - including the part in the Highway Code where it states that pedestrians have Right of Way on ANY road except Motorways. How many people know that?
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:52 pm

shuffle wrote:
the researcher wrote:
tobester wrote:Latest news from the scottish government is that they are no longer called potholes and are to be renamed inverted speedbumps, so as of this morning there are no potholes on any road in scotland

no matter what the scottish goverment call them they are still a hazard especially to cyclists
also how can they be called inverted speed bumps when they werent speed bumps to start with!

Hmmm. Do you think he was maybe joking?

Thankfully someone realised i was takin the piss out of the government and their use of bending the truth
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:42 pm

To be truthful, I think the majority of us did. :D
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:32 pm

However, it doesn't take more than a wander round any city or town centre at night to observe that a significant number of pedestrians are inebriated (on a variety of licit and illicit substances), and will often step out into the road heedless of what may already be there. I have witnessed it myself on a number of occasions, some of which have been friends or work colleagues of mine. Luckily, none of these has resulted in a fatality, but that was due to no more than pure, dumb luck.

We call that blaming the victims.

This victim had sight in one eye and possibly had a drink. Obviously asking for it.

A motorist whose high-powered Range Rover hit and killed a man on a country road near Glasgow has admitted causing his death by careless driving.

Ross McChrystal, 20, was driving at more than twice the 30mph speed limit when he hit Edward Devlin on the A891 Campsie Road, Lennoxtown, in June 2009
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:51 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:

We call that blaming the victims.

This victim had sight in one eye and possibly had a drink. Obviously asking for it.

A motorist whose high-powered Range Rover hit and killed a man on a country road near Glasgow has admitted causing his death by careless driving.

Ross McChrystal, 20, was driving at more than twice the 30mph speed limit when he hit Edward Devlin on the A891 Campsie Road, Lennoxtown, in June 2009

Re point 1 - where exactly do we draw the line between "victim" and irresponsible idiot? (And yes, before you ask, I have been that idiot too)

Point 2 - There is NO excuse for drink/drug driving, nor did I ever suggest that there is, or such reckless speeding. I expect the fella referred to, at 20 years old, wasn't insured either.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

think bike..

Postby north glasgow dave » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:20 am

what about the cyclists who consider themselves road users..until they come to a set of lights,then they mount the kerb.. this is illegal.
or else they just go through the red light..also illegal.
cyclists want to squeeze through tight spaces between cars..but want half the road to themself when they are being overtaken..
cyclist,s should have numbers on their back,s to reflect their ability on a bike..

think once.think twice.think someone,s having a F**cking laugh.
north glasgow dave
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: think bike..

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:50 am

north glasgow dave wrote: ...........cyclist,s should have numbers on their back,s to reflect their ability on a bike..

It'd only be a few hours before someone started an on-line league table adding up the points (numbers on the back of) cyclists people had run over.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:30 pm

north glasgow dave wrote:what about the cyclists who consider themselves road users..until they come to a set of lights,then they mount the kerb.. this is illegal.
or else they just go through the red light..also illegal.
cyclists want to squeeze through tight spaces between cars..but want half the road to themself when they are being overtaken..
cyclist,s should have numbers on their back,s to reflect their ability on a bike..

think once.think twice.think someone,s having a F**cking laugh.

i would think that mounting the pavement at a red light would only be illegal if the cyclist is still riding his bike however if he was to dismount and wheel the bike to the junction he is intending to travel on then in theory it wouldnt be illegal as most likely by the time he does this the red light which stopped him has returned to green anyway
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:33 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
north glasgow dave wrote: ...........cyclist,s should have numbers on their back,s to reflect their ability on a bike..

It'd only be a few hours before someone started an on-line league table adding up the points (numbers on the back of) cyclists people had run over.

MAybe they could have coloured shirts and we could play snooker. 8O
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:21 pm

Lone Groover wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:

MAybe they could have coloured shirts and we could play snooker. 8O

I think 7 points for a black might encourage the wrong sorts.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:49 pm

::):
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: joking

Postby helpmaboab » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:56 pm

hungryjoe wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:
north glasgow dave wrote:surely not...theese potholes are a serious hazard to cyclists, and everyone knows how hazardous cyclists are..i mean a hazard on two wheels swerving all over the road avoid an inverted hazard..very hazardous.... :)

Aye they could a small dent in your car. Then removing the blood from your windscreen. Possibly increase your insurance and have the police at your door.

All because they swerved to miss a pothole and you were up their arse at the time.

Away and behave yourself. If cyclists choose to use the public highway (such as it is), and why shouldn't they, they are bound by the same rules as every other road user. Suddenly changing direction without warning is bad practice, regardless of the mode of transport. If a cyclist suddenly veers into the path of another road user - tough titty.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070314

How many cars obey this rule - "give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car."? See the example image in the above link. If all cars gave cyclists as much room as they are supposed to there would never be such a problem when a cyclist needs to avoid a crater in the few feet out from the kerb. Most drivers simply don't get it unless they too are a cyclist. I'm not saying all cyclists are saints (far from it) but consequences are rather different for cars versus bikes and drivers versus cyclists. A car hitting a pot hole may be a bit of a jolt or a damaged tyre/wheel. A cyclist hitting a pot hole WILL be a damaged wheel or possibly thrown from the bike (onto road or into path of said car up said arse)! The difference between a car swerving and a cyclist swerving can be difference between serious injury or dealth for a cyclist versus a pranged car. tough titty indeed eh!!! :roll:
helpmaboab
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: joking

Postby Boxer6 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:13 pm

helpmaboab wrote:
hungryjoe wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:
north glasgow dave wrote:surely not...theese potholes are a serious hazard to cyclists, and everyone knows how hazardous cyclists are..i mean a hazard on two wheels swerving all over the road avoid an inverted hazard..very hazardous.... :)

Aye they could a small dent in your car. Then removing the blood from your windscreen. Possibly increase your insurance and have the police at your door.

All because they swerved to miss a pothole and you were up their arse at the time.

Away and behave yourself. If cyclists choose to use the public highway (such as it is), and why shouldn't they, they are bound by the same rules as every other road user. Suddenly changing direction without warning is bad practice, regardless of the mode of transport. If a cyclist suddenly veers into the path of another road user - tough titty.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070314

How many cars obey this rule - "give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car."? See the example image in the above link. If all cars gave cyclists as much room as they are supposed to there would never be such a problem when a cyclist needs to avoid a crater in the few feet out from the kerb. Most drivers simply don't get it unless they too are a cyclist. I'm not saying all cyclists are saints (far from it) but consequences are rather different for cars versus bikes and drivers versus cyclists. A car hitting a pot hole may be a bit of a jolt or a damaged tyre/wheel. A cyclist hitting a pot hole WILL be a damaged wheel or possibly thrown from the bike (onto road or into path of said car up said arse)! The difference between a car swerving and a cyclist swerving can be difference between serious injury or dealth for a cyclist versus a pranged car. tough titty indeed eh!!! :roll:

The answer to your question is - hardly any, as my horse-riding OH will tell you! (At great length, and with much profanity!)

All this could be avoided, of course, if the government spent more than a tiny fraction of the "Road Tax" on the roads!!!
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

fly-men

Postby north glasgow dave » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:49 am

all cyclists are fly-men...who are not only a danger to themself and other cyclists..but horses as well..
north glasgow dave
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)