Looking South East from Cranhill in 1966

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Looking South East from Cranhill in 1966

Postby InkMan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:16 pm

The following link is a picture on the Cranhill Wikipedia page which I believe was added only in the last couple of months.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... lasgow.jpg

Having lived in Springboig for years I am perplexed by a couple of aspects of this picture and hope some kind, knowledgeable soul here in HiddenGlasgowLand could possible assist.

Looking behind the bus you can see two large chimneys. The white structure in the foreground is Lightburn Hospital but what is the second chimney to the right of that in the distance?

What would the red structure in the central reservation at the junction of Edinburgh Road and Carntyne Road have been?

This may seem an obvious question and using Google Earth's tracking path I am ninety percent sure but are the tenements in the left horizon at the Sandaig Road and Hallhill Road junction in Garthamlock? If that is the case then is the grassy to the bottom left of the far right tenement where the Croftspar estate built?

If you look over the white buildings of the Tompkin's Garage estate and the slate roof of the Springboig YMCA you see black roofs of what looks like upon first inspection tenamments. Now this doesn't look anything like the configuration of the present houses even though the following picture from The Glasgow Story of an RAF Ariel shot taken in early 1950 (only a year after the Springboig estate was completed) suggests they must be the present structures.

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/images/TGSE00504_m.jpg

As the above picture was taken sixteen years before the one at the top of my post they must be the current houses but how can they appear so different - even taking into account the renovations in the mid-eighties?

Finally - and this is a long shot - but would anyone know the story behind the world's major cities milepost that stood for years at what is now the Glasgow Private Hire offices (the right hand garage in the top picture)? I can't remember any other examples in Glasgow as a kid so have always wondered why one was placed here

Thanks in advance

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Looking South East from Cranhill in 1966

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:24 am

The wall was to stop clients of the six bed roomed hotel cum pub using the street as a short cut.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:06 am

The red structure on Edinburgh Rd looks like a police box and if memory serves me right the Dalriada was a 7 bed roomed hotel-come pub.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:25 pm

This may seem an obvious question and using Google Earth's tracking path I am ninety percent sure but are the tenements in the left horizon at the Sandaig Road and Hallhill Road junction in Garthamlock? If that is the case then is the grassy to the bottom left of the far right tenement where the Croftspar estate built?

Sandaig Rd and Hallhill Rd are in Barlanark. Despite being a pupil of Cranhill Secondary, I don't recall the red thing on the Edinburgh Rd at all. I've e-mailed this to my brother who remembers this sort of detail.By the way,this isn't a new pic, it's been on-line for a few years.
There is /has been a similar sign-post in the Park Bar for years.

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 pm

You may be interested in this lad's photos:-

http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?q= ... N00&m=pool
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:20 pm

InkMan wrote:
Looking behind the bus you can see two large chimneys. The white structure in the foreground is Lightburn Hospital but what is the second chimney to the right of that in the distance?

What would the red structure in the central reservation at the junction of Edinburgh Road and Carntyne Road have been?

Shuggy

The other chimney stack was the one at Garrowhill brickworks at Barrachnie which must have been pulled down not long after this [brilliant] photo was taken. Using he zoom you can also faintly see [behind the Barlanark houses] the water tower at the Caterpillar factory in Tannochside and another one nearby at Viewpark.

Police boxes were normally blue but that one might have been painted red due to its location on the grass reservation.

As for the old sign - "Tokyo - 12,000mls" - who knows?
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tickey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:04 pm

as a child growin up in this area in the 70s we were always playin in the burn next to the dalriada at what was the skoda garage. the signpost i was told used to be the old boundary to glasgow thats why it was posted there at the start of edinburgh/carntyne rds. whether this is true or jus heresay im sure theres someone on here who should be able to clarify.
tickey
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby InkMan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks for all the replies and tickey's explanation makes perfect sense considering the 1975 implementation of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 saw the are transfer from the county of Lanark to Glasgow Ciry Council authority.

The black roofed tenements that I mentioned upon further inspection (as this was really pissing me off) must be those bordered by Larchgrove Road, Larchgrove Avenue and Barlanark Road. Should have picked that up earlier I suppose.

I find that here is something incredibly sad about this photograph. On the horizon there we have an estate that, like so many other areas populated by the (often necessary) housing clearances that lasted less than a lifetime. Similar to theses clearances which were still ongoing when this picture was taken the people in this estate were (in some cases once again) moved arbitrarily without much consideration of keeping families, friends or societies close. When you take into consideration the loss of the industry highlighted by the Barrachnie Brickworks and Pit then the lack of anything remotely resembling a replacement then it is no wonder that the area pictured - at times - continues to suffer from a poverty of wealth, education, health, confidence, aspiration, sustainable employment opportunities, social cohesion, amenities, affordable transport links, a society that looks down their nose at the mention of the east of Glasgow (an attitude that is prevalent in many in this City never mind the life-long Conservatives in Tory heartlands - who needs enemies with friends like that - and errrrrrr the chance of a quick pint in either the Dalriada or Stepps/Pheonix Bar ( ::): ).

This is something that could be said about many Glasgow panoramas from 1966 but (a) I know the area well, (b) the image of the new housing stock rising above the centre horizon is very moving and (c) I read only recently the usual "well the health and low life expectancy issues which are amongst the worse in Europe are simply linked to a dependency on alcohol or drugs" which is strange as I have never taken the same attitude from articles concerning any other area because if they were then it would be rightly called bigoted, racist or inappropriate.

Sorry for my rant

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:35 pm

InkMan wrote:Thanks for all the replies and tickey's explanation makes perfect sense considering the 1975 implementation of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 saw the are transfer from the county of Lanark to Glasgow Ciry Council authority.

The black roofed tenements that I mentioned upon further inspection (as this was really pissing me off) must be those bordered by Larchgrove Road, Larchgrove Avenue and Barlanark Road. Should have picked that up earlier I suppose.

I find that here is something incredibly sad about this photograph. On the horizon there we have an estate that, like so many other areas populated by the (often necessary) housing clearances that lasted less than a lifetime. Similar to theses clearances which were still ongoing when this picture was taken the people in this estate were (in some cases once again) moved arbitrarily without much consideration of keeping families, friends or societies close. When you take into consideration the loss of the industry highlighted by the Barrachnie Brickworks and Pit then the lack of anything remotely resembling a replacement then it is no wonder that the area pictured - at times - continues to suffer from a poverty of wealth, education, health, confidence, aspiration, sustainable employment opportunities, social cohesion, amenities, affordable transport links, a society that looks down their nose at the mention of the east of Glasgow (an attitude that is prevalent in many in this City never mind the life-long Conservatives in Tory heartlands - who needs enemies with friends like that - and errrrrrr the chance of a quick pint in either the Dalriada or Stepps/Pheonix Bar ( ::): ).

This is something that could be said about many Glasgow panoramas from 1966 but (a) I know the area well, (b) the image of the new housing stock rising above the centre horizon is very moving and (c) I read only recently the usual "well the health and low life expectancy issues which are amongst the worse in Europe are simply linked to a dependency on alcohol or drugs" which is strange as I have never taken the same attitude from articles concerning any other area because if they were then it would be rightly called bigoted, racist or inappropriate.

Sorry for my rant

Shuggy

No need to apolgise for your rant, you are quite right. Why are we doomed to repeat the failures of the past?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Seconded.

One man's rant is another's concise and astute point, very well made.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:37 pm

Re the photo from the first link, if you look at the group of trees near the bottom of Cranhill Park you'll see two small structures amidst them.

Does anyone know what the purpose of these structures was? Gold star to the first person with the correct answer.

PS I'll be very impressed if any of you know.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:50 pm

scaryman2u wrote:The red structure on Edinburgh Rd looks like a police box and if memory serves me right the Dalriada was a 7 bed roomed hotel-come pub.

The red structure was indeed a police box - the 1964 OS plan shows that one existed at that exact spot.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:24 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:Re the photo from the first link, if you look at the group of trees near the bottom of Cranhill Park you'll see two small structures amidst them.

Does anyone know what the purpose of these structures was? Gold star to the first person with the correct answer.

Was that not an anti aircraft gun implacement from WWII?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:Re the photo from the first link, if you look at the group of trees near the bottom of Cranhill Park you'll see two small structures amidst them.

Can't be anything at all to do with drainage :D even though they were situated in what is probably the lowest part of the park? The Light Burn maybees?
I actually remember these little structures from way back - looking oot the bus windae - and wondering - but no too hard - what they might have been for. Anti-aircraft gun site? nope, they were in in fours and it isn't recorded anyway. Colliery related? maybe but I can't find a map to support that.

C'mon Steve nobody knows - except you :? :cry:
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cell » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:03 am

There is a depression feature on the 1964 1:2500 OS map but not on the 1955, frustratingly it doesn't label it, my guess would be something connected to utilities that went in when much of the new housing was built, a valve station for sewage, gas or water? Go on put us out of our misery!
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)