Looking South East from Cranhill in 1966

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Looking South East from Cranhill in 1966

Postby Glesga_Steve » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:11 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:Re the photo from the first link, if you look at the group of trees near the bottom of Cranhill Park you'll see two small structures amidst them.

Does anyone know what the purpose of these structures was? Gold star to the first person with the correct answer.

PS I'll be very impressed if any of you know.

RDR wrote:Was that not an anti aircraft gun implacement from WWII?

Nope.

Weren't anti-aircraft guns generally located on relatively high ground?

Icecube wrote:Can't be anything at all to do with drainage :D even though they were situated in what is probably the lowest part of the park? The Light Burn maybees?
I actually remember these little structures from way back - looking oot the bus windae - and wondering - but no too hard - what they might have been for. Anti-aircraft gun site? nope, they were in in fours and it isn't recorded anyway. Colliery related? maybe but I can't find a map to support that.

Not colliery related, no.

Drainage related, yes. Nothing to do with the Light Burn though (but in a wording sense it is sort of :wink:).

cell wrote:There is a depression feature on the 1964 1:2500 OS map but not on the 1955, frustratingly it doesn't label it, my guess would be something connected to utilities that went in when much of the new housing was built, a valve station for sewage, gas or water? Go on put us out of our misery!

You're correct in assuming that it was constructed at the same time as that area of the city was developed for housing and on the right sort of track by guessing a sewerage valve station.

Not that this will help you but, as far as I'm aware, it was the only installation of its kind in Glasgow.

I'll put you out of your misery tomorrow night if you haven't worked it out by then.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:29 am

I was forgetting you are our expert on all things drainage and sewerage related! How about a filtration or surge chamber with a condom and Mitre Mouldmaster extractor and a methane gas vent thrown in for good measure?
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:45 am

Glesga_Steve wrote:Nothing to do with the Light Burn though (but in a wording sense it is sort of :wink:).

Is it a contrivance for combusting gasses that would be explosive if allowed to build up?
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:Re the photo from the first link, if you look at the group of trees near the bottom of Cranhill Park you'll see two small structures amidst them.

Does anyone know what the purpose of these structures was? Gold star to the first person with the correct answer.

PS I'll be very impressed if any of you know.

Someone PMd me to point out that I hadn't provided an answer to this. Better late than never I suppose :oops:

The structures were (on the left in the photo) a raised manhole [raised subsequent to the original construction of the sewer and therefore not shown as such on the below images] on the Lightburn trunk sewer [so called because it runs alongside the Light Burn] and (on the right in the photo) a recording chamber that measured the flow rate in the sewer.

See large version for detail

Not exactly worth the wait was it ::):
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:32 pm

You could have stuck a ghost in.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Huggy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:07 pm

How about the wee room up the pipe at Hogganfield Loch?
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:18 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:You could have stuck a ghost in.

You've lost me :?
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:20 am

Huggy wrote:How about the wee room up the pipe at Hogganfield Loch?

Nope, I'm lost again.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:56 am

In true HG tradition you could have sexed up your answer by suggesting the presence of a ghost, a tunnel leading to an unknown destination or some bullet holes in the wall. Then this thread would have had another year's life. Now you've just killed it.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Huggy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:11 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:

Nope, I'm lost again.

Steve, the reservoir at Ruchazie overflows into the Hogganfield Loch via a pipe into the burn on the golf course. If you crawl through the pipe you come to a wee room where you can stand up, the pipe from the reservoir enters half way up the wall. Care needed on the rare occasions when the water is running, it belts through like the clappers. Last year it ran for a week, something to do with vandalism.
The Lethamhill reservoir also overflows into the loch, the outlet pipe is under the water, roughly in line with the SE corner of the pitch & putt fence.
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:02 pm

Huggy wrote:
Glesga_Steve wrote:

Nope, I'm lost again.

Steve, the reservoir at Ruchazie overflows into the Hogganfield Loch via a pipe into the burn on the golf course. If you crawl through the pipe you come to a wee room where you can stand up, the pipe from the reservoir enters half way up the wall. Care needed on the rare occasions when the water is running, it belts through like the clappers. Last year it ran for a week, something to do with vandalism.
The Lethamhill reservoir also overflows into the loch, the outlet pipe is under the water, roughly in line with the SE corner of the pitch & putt fence.

Other than knowing where they are, I'm not familiar with the reservoirs at Lethamhill and Ruchazie.

Rather than an being an overflow, what you're describing sounds more to me like a discharge chamber on a pipe from a scour valve.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Huggy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:08 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
Huggy wrote:
Glesga_Steve wrote:
Nope, I'm lost again.
Steve, the reservoir at Ruchazie overflows into the Hogganfield Loch via a pipe into the burn on the golf course. If you crawl through the pipe you come to a wee room where you can stand up, the pipe from the reservoir enters half way up the wall. Care needed on the rare occasions when the water is running, it belts through like the clappers. Last year it ran for a week, something to do with vandalism. The Lethamhill reservoir also overflows into the loch, the outlet pipe is under the water, roughly in line with the SE corner of the pitch & putt fence.
Other than knowing where they are, I'm not familiar with the reservoirs at Lethamhill and Ruchazie. Rather than an being an overflow, what you're describing sounds more to me like a discharge chamber on a pipe from a scour valve.

GS, too high tech for me, I thought they were the equivalent to the overflow on a sink, or for use if the reservoirs had to be emptied for repairs? quite old anyhow, guess between the wars?
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:55 pm

Dexter is right Steve you could have hung this out for another year if you had mentioned a tunnel (preferably connecting to the GPO one int' toon) but for aw that I've opened a 10 yr old malt to celebrate the revelation of the wee objects - aye it was purchased a year ago ::):
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)