Hitler's deputy crashed in Scotland

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hitler's deputy crashed in Scotland

Postby Dugald » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:25 pm

WSC, your stab at humour wasn't weak at all. You said:

"Do you think they gave him a Parachuting Badge?"

because it was a Boy Scout building, and getting badges being very much a part of the Boy Scout credo, old Rudolph was entitled to the Boy Scout Parachuting Badge. Didn't dawn on me until a few minutes ago! Good! And yes, the Moseley name does add a touch of irony to the affair. Wonder if his first name is Oswald? Cheers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Can we switch to where Elvis landed?"

Hey, Lone Groover, I don't get your joke either, d'ye think you could explain it to me? Thanks.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MagratMcK » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:05 pm

Helooo...

I asked about resurecting this thread, because I have been practically banging my head on the keyboard at some of the stuff written... :D

Anyway, Hess landed his plane in the field. Eaglesham was no ordinary barracks and MacLean did not arrest Hess.

The photies of the wreckage were rather posed, don't you think, since the bits pictured are only the ones pictured in the lorry in London? Note how most of them are of the tail section of fuselage and one of the tailplanes? The whole thing was shovelled in a truck and taken to Carluke on the Sunday (11th) where it was dumped with all the other downed planes from the area. When they realised the importance of it, they quickly got it back out again (mixing in British parts and American ones too by the way). So pictures of Hess's aircraft prior to the Carluke yard are rubbish, because before then it was Horn's aircraft and no one cared really.

The plane landed. Somewhere in my load of paperwork I have a copy of the plan sketch done by the Ministry blokey who went out to examine the aircraft prior to it being removed. There is minimal damage. Even witnesses have stated the plane pulled out of a dive and executed a belly-landing in the field- a wee bit difficult to do if Hess had bailed as stated.

Eaglesham was the home of the Royal Signals, so pretty wired into the information network. Plus Jack McKenzie tracked him from landfall at Holy Isle off Berwick to where he landed and he told the guns in Glasgow not to come to action stations and fire on it because he knew it had passed it's point of no return before it hit landfall.

Jack McKenzie was my gramdad by the way... He and two corporals went out to the landed plane and took Hess out the cockpit (he had sustained an ankle injury in the landing and couldn't get out unaided). Hess surrendered his pistol and torch to my gramdad and gramdad passed the gun on to the Home Guard when they were summonned.

To use an already used reason for the story in the papers: a plucky farm-hand with pitchfork and Home Guard with guns arrest Hitler's Deputy as opposed to three Signals' corporals armed only with pickaxe hafts and rubber hose arresting Hess. Which looks more like the brave arrest of a hated Nazi as opposed to the surrender of an injured airman?
MagratMcK
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:49 pm

Can you post up the sketch & some photos of your gramdad?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:57 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Can you post up the sketch & some photos of your gramdad?

Do you remember him when he was younger. ::):
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:50 pm

Fuxsake, I remember William Younger.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:39 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Fuxsake, I remember William Younger.

The Best Buy In Beer
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby MagratMcK » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:32 am

I'm trying to track down the sketch at the moment (I've moved house since I had it last) and dad is scanning in a picture of his father loafing about at Eaglesham. I have a pic of him in his Signals uniform on my wall, but no scanner...It is one of the photos taken of grandma and gramdad on their wedding day.

Dad wrote a letter to the Herald following an article on Hess's parachute. You can read it here: http://www.heraldscotland.com/royal-signals-starring-role-in-hess-mystery-1.846973
MagratMcK
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby banjo » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:05 pm

the best buy in beer,you are getting your mcewans in a twist wasnt youngers tartan special.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:16 pm

banjo wrote:the best buy in beer,you are getting your mcewans in a twist wasnt youngers tartan special.

Do you honestly think The Foss kerrz. Its all drink to him. :? :?
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bigstevie » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:50 pm

i can confirm , that a large section of the aircraft and one engine .. are on display at the I.W.M in london ..as i took photos whilst on my summer holidays july/11
also some info about him here....http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-london
bigstevie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby bruce1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:35 pm

McGuire wrote:What ScoutHall in Giffnock did was Hess taken too?

I live in Giffnock, I was a Beaver Cub and a Scout, in the main ScoutHall in Giffnock. Surely, I had no unwittingly been a Scout in the very hall Hess surely visited?

The Church and Scouthall - http://www.giffnockurc.org.uk/ the scouthall is the building on the right and there is another behind it used for scouts and cubs too.

Doing some more research I have found the Scouthall:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/S ... gfnk01.jpg

I was never in that building but I know it well, not far from the local pub. Strange to think a small piece of history took place in that building.

Hi McGuire

Rudolf Hess was taken to the 28th Glasgow Scout Hall in Arthurlie Drive, Giffnock (The main Scout Hall in Giffnock) which was being used as a base by the Home Guard at the time, before being transferred elsewhere. The picture of the Church and hall is the one used by the 145th Scouts who were founded in 1942.

Incidentally - the 28th Scout Group is celebrating its 100th year this year. There's a chance to go into the Scout Hall on 11th February and look around if you're inclined!
bruce1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fossil » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:08 pm

bruce1 wrote:
Rudolf Hess was taken to the 28th Glasgow Scout Hall in Arthurlie Drive, Giffnock (The main Scout Hall in Giffnock) which was being used as a base by the Home Guard at the time, before being transferred elsewhere. The picture of the Church and hall is the one used by the 145th Scouts who were founded in 1942.

Incidentally - the 28th Scout Group is celebrating its 100th year this year. There's a chance to go into the Scout Hall on 11th February and look around if you're inclined!

Anyone fancy make a trip?

Fossil
-
-

Postby Josef » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:15 pm

Yeah, go on. Get it posted.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bruce1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:59 pm

It's this Saturday, 2.30pm - 4.30pm if anyone wants to head along. There will be photos, slides, books depicting the Scout Group over the past 100 years & a chance to nosey around the hall.
bruce1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fossil » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:48 pm

bruce1 wrote:It's this Saturday, 2.30pm - 4.30pm if anyone wants to head along. There will be photos, slides, books depicting the Scout Group over the past 100 years & a chance to nosey around the hall.

I was all set to go but now cant make. :(

Enjoy the day out :)
Fossil
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)