How were Glasgow streets named?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: How were Glasgow streets named?

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:43 pm

Check the streets of Mosspark, Knightswood and Riddrie, and then Blackhill, Possilpark and South Pollok. There may be a connnection between the names within a scheme but I doubt it will involve the name of a councillor.

Here's Wikipedia's explanation of the street names in Milton

. "The new streets were all named after Scottish islands (Berneray, Birsay, Castlebay, Cathay, Egilsay, Longay, Mingulay, Ornsay, Raasay, Ronaldsay, Scalpay, Scaraway, Shilay, Skerray, Stornoway, Torogay, Vallay and Westray) "

Can you spot the Councillor?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:58 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Can you spot the Councillor?

Cathay?
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:04 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Check the streets of Mosspark, Knightswood and Riddrie, and then Blackhill, Possilpark and South Pollok. There may be a connnection between the names within a scheme but I doubt it will involve the name of a councillor.

Here's Wikipedia's explanation of the street names in Milton

. "The new streets were all named after Scottish islands (Berneray, Birsay, Castlebay, Cathay, Egilsay, Longay, Mingulay, Ornsay, Raasay, Ronaldsay, Scalpay, Scaraway, Shilay, Skerray, Stornoway, Torogay, Vallay and Westray) "

Can you spot the Councillor?

Maybe you couldn't be bothered reading my previous post where I suggested;

"Glasgow might have followed a different practise."

I don't know how Glasgow names its streets, I researched a neighbouring county as stated in my first post. My suggestion was that Glasgow might have used similar criteria in their street naming convention. i.e. Suggestions from the local councillor and approved by committee.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:44 am

Icecube wrote:]

Maybe you couldn't be bothered reading my previous post where I suggested;

And unlike you who took exception to my posting I don't bother whom I'm replying to but I do read all responses.

It has been established that in certain local authorities, councillors named streets after themselves. So thank you Icecube and Glesga Steve and everyone else who has contributed. I thank those in particular who did not get their aertex in a twist when I added this

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Council buildings in Glasgow were named after Councillors although it tended to be Strathclyde Regional that did this rather than Glasgow District council. I'm struggling for a street named after a Glasgow Councillor.

and then did my own research which did not necessitate going through Council minutes. I was hoping that some of the other schemies on here could give examples of how streets were named on their estate.

I found this on Wikipedia

Most of the (Cranhill) streets were named after Scottish lighthouses and include Startpoint Street, Lamlash Crescent, Toward Road, Skerryvore Road, Gantock Crescent, Strone Road, Crowlin Crescent, Monach Road. Longstone Road is an exception, its inspiration being located in the Farne Islands .

Now let's stick to the topic.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:56 am

I've re-discovered a previous topic on this subject

and also the site - Origin & History of Glasgow Streets
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:28 am

yoker brian wrote:I've re-discovered a previous topic on this subject

and also the site - Origin & History of Glasgow Streets

Well done Brian, Take the rest of the day off.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:57 am

Glesga_Steve wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:Can you spot the Councillor?

Cathay?

Erm, I wasn't having a dig Dex - it was a (poor attempt at a) joke.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:46 pm

I was actually thanking you Steve for a good contribution but If you had worked in Cathay McMaster it would have been funnier. I did smile.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:I was actually thanking you Steve for a good contribution but If you had worked in Cathay McMaster it would have been funnier. I did smile.

Ok, sorry. Got my wires crossed :oops:
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:56 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Check the streets of Mosspark, Knightswood and Riddrie, and then Blackhill, Possilpark and South Pollok. There may be a connnection between the names within a scheme.

Of the areas mentioned above, the one that immediately springs to mind of having a theme in the naming of its streets is Riddrie - most of them are named after Scottish rivers:

Dee; Girvan; Deveron; Don; Findhorn; Duchray; Eden; Brora; Nith; Leader; Lossie; Gala; Earn; Almond; Tay; Tummel; Dochart; Tilt; Naver; Ness

Some names don't fit into this theme though: Grierson; Lomax; Gadie; Dinart; Peile

As for the others you mentioned, I can't think of an obvious theme right now with the exception of Mosspark possibly (aren't quite a few of the streets named after Scottish towns/villages?).
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:46 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:As for the others you mentioned, I can't think of an obvious theme right now with the exception of Mosspark possibly (aren't quite a few of the streets named after Scottish towns/villages?).

from wikipedia

Knightswood, along with Jordanhill and Temple have been linked to stories of the Knights Templar; but according to the late Lord Lyon King of Arms there is no evidence for their presence in this area. Nevertheless, the theories continue to persist and are sometimes actively encouraged, as in the use of "heraldic" street names (Archerhill Road, Arrowsmith Avenue, Ivanhoe Road, Minstrel Road, Talisman Road, Templar Avenue, Turret Road) by Glasgow Corporation in Knightswood, even though Knightswood only appears in the records from the 18th century, long after the days of knights
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:16 pm

yoker brian wrote:
Glesga_Steve wrote:As for the others you mentioned, I can't think of an obvious theme right now with the exception of Mosspark possibly (aren't quite a few of the streets named after Scottish towns/villages?).

from wikipedia

Knightswood, along with Jordanhill and Temple have been linked to stories of the Knights Templar; but according to the late Lord Lyon King of Arms there is no evidence for their presence in this area. Nevertheless, the theories continue to persist and are sometimes actively encouraged, as in the use of "heraldic" street names (Archerhill Road, Arrowsmith Avenue, Ivanhoe Road, Minstrel Road, Talisman Road, Templar Avenue, Turret Road) by Glasgow Corporation in Knightswood, even though Knightswood only appears in the records from the 18th century, long after the days of knights

Aren't these street names more likely to be associated, albeit loosely, with Walter Scott?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:32 pm

The Egg Man wrote:

Aren't these street names more likely to be associated, albeit loosely, with Walter Scott?

See the links Yoker Brian posted. Check them out.

BTW are any of you on Glasgow Guide? Because if you're not you're already showing signs of dementia.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:05 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:BTW are any of you on Glasgow Guide? Because if you're not you're already showing signs of dementia.

It runs in the family :(

Only on the female side though :D
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:25 pm

I have a feeling this has been done before, but the streets in Nitshill are named after villages in Ayrshire....Darvel, Galston, Seamill etc and the streets in South Nitshill all begin with `W`...Whitacres, Woodfoot etc.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)