rolland st

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

rolland st

Postby north glasgow dave » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:04 am

was there a street in the west end called rolland st,and did it have a children,s hospital on it :?:
north glasgow dave
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: rolland st

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:25 am

There's plenty of mentions of Rolland Street on the web. It seems to be gone now but someone gave an idea of where it was "Rolland Street is no more,however to help you locate it,and Google Maps may help you here,travel north on Maryhill Road passing Queens Cross and then a furthe half mle where there are a set of traffic lights,Fire station on your left then a pub standing on its own.Rolland Street ran in a west then north again on a decline where it came to a junction with other streets."

I've yet to find any mention of a hospital.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: rolland st

Postby browning » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:40 pm

Rolland St was pretty well where you describe it. I lived there and neighbouring Arden St (also long gone ) from 1955 until 1963. I cannot recall a childrens hospital on Rolland St or indeed anywhere else nearby.
Might there be some confusion with East Park Home which was (and of course still is) circa 300yds west on Maryhill Rd or the local nursery school on what was then called Marmion St. A new nursery building now stands on the same corner spot opposite the entrance to Hotspur St. Marmion sreeet effectively became part of Queen Margaret Drive when it was extended north to meet Maryhill Road circa the 1970's (?) The nursery was only around 100yds from the bottom of Rolland St at that time.
Hope this is of help.
browning
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)