have theypulled down that red police box

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: have theypulled down that red police box

Postby Doorstop » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:25 am

I always knew you were a hooligan .. you've got that look about you.

Oh, hang on a minute .. did I say the look of the hooligan? I meant 'Andy Cameron'. :wink:
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

how long ago was that

Postby north glasgow dave » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:23 am

was there one at balornock rd/ broomfield rd as well?
north glasgow dave
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: how long ago was that

Postby hungryjoe » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:03 am

north glasgow dave wrote:was there one at balornock rd/ broomfield rd as well?

Where Broomfield Road turns left at Springburn Park (where the No. 4 turned left but the other buses went straight on). Drumbottie Road also ends at that junction. The bundy clock was on the other side of the road.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby north glasgow dave » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:25 pm

aw aye next tae sohal,s
north glasgow dave
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nodrog » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:02 pm

Just to confirm - the box at Wilson St is indeed back on the street (although last time I passed, just sitting up on blocks).

It was refurbished as part of the Merchant City Townscape work last year - the light at the top flashes, and it had a first aid box etc. installed in it too.

This - and indeed all - of the remaining on-street police boxes in Glasgow are now Cat. B listed buildings - which is why it's slightly puzzling that neither the refurb works last year - which is when it was painted from the traditional Glasgow red to the traditional Dr Who blue - nor the moving it to the side of the street - seem to have required any kind of listed building consent. I'd have thought that moving it from the middle of the street, where its position was highlighted by the toilet railings, to the side, and changing its colour, would constitute altering both the character and the setting of the listed building, but what do I know? ;-)

The box at the Botanic Gardens on Gt Western Rd is also looking sadly battered nowadays since the coffee-shop kiosks went bust, and the one on Buchanan St keeps getting wrapped in rather naff advertising boards.

The loss of yet another set of underground toilets - and their railings - is also unfortunate; there are fewer and fewer of these left unfilled in. Anyone got a list of what still exists?
We have these ones up in Maryhill, which should be getting spruced up externally - but not filled in if I have anything to do with it - as part of some upcoming streetscape works on Gairbraid Avenue once the Burgh Halls re-opens.

http://www.maryhillburghhalls.org.uk/
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby oddjobby » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:22 am

nodrog wrote:This - and indeed all - of the remaining on-street police boxes in Glasgow are now Cat. B listed buildings - which is why it's slightly puzzling that neither the refurb works last year - which is when it was painted from the traditional Glasgow red to the traditional Dr Who blue - nor the moving it to the side of the street - seem to have required any kind of listed building consent. I'd have thought that moving it from the middle of the street, where its position was highlighted by the toilet railings, to the side, and changing its colour, would constitute altering both the character and the setting of the listed building, but what do I know? ;-)

As far as I know about how listed buildings and working on them works, you are correct! Although if Glasgow City Council is anything like North Ayrshire Council, then the rules that are there to protect our listed buildings are 'flexible' to them, the same as with how far a Conservation Area extends (depending on the year or cash involved :wink: ) ::):
www.soulsearchers.org.uk
oddjobby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby the researcher » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:19 pm

hungryjoe wrote:I miss smashing those wee windaes, and pulling open that hatch to shout "there's a train on the line".
I smashed a windae once on the box at Balornock Rd./Broomfield Rd./Drumbottie Rd., only to find there was a copper in the box. I had to run like fuck that day.

when i stayed at my grannies in glasgow i used to pal about with my cousin and his two pals and there was a red police box at stanley street swing park and we used to do that as well pull the door open and shout help police murder! then close it and walk away
there used to be a dr who type one at paisley road toll near the angel building and am sure there also used to be one at pollock street but think it was one of the bigger ones.
did glasgow ever have fire service call points these were posts at the side of the pavement which when the glass was broken would set the alarm off at the nearest fire station small boys apparently used to break the glass and run away ::):
i think a fire station at mount florida was the nearest fire station for paisley road though i may be wrong on this
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:03 pm

the researcher wrote:i think a fire station at mount florida was the nearest fire station for paisley road though i may be wrong on this

Centre St was probably the nearest fire station to Paisley Rd.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby oddjobby » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:41 am

My mum remembers one of these built in to a garden wall in Pollock in the early sixties!
www.soulsearchers.org.uk
oddjobby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:51 pm

hungryjoe wrote:I miss smashing those wee windaes, and pulling open that hatch to shout "there's a train on the line".
I smashed a windae once on the box at Balornock Rd./Broomfield Rd./Drumbottie Rd., only to find there was a copper in the box. I had to run like fuck that day.

Living up to your avatar Joe :-) Wouldny think PC Murdoch could keep up :wink:
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:55 pm

September 2008

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sds » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:28 pm