Rain, violence and chips: this is Glasgow,

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Rain, violence and chips: this is Glasgow,

Postby moonbeam » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:42 pm

At Partick station at 4.45 to-day Sunday just say 3 football supporters beat up an old guy on a crowded train for not giving them a seat. The 3 guys got arrested. Train cancelled. Old boy streatcherd off train. The driver was quickly on the spot and shut the station. but what on eartch any vistors must think seeing this on a Sunday afternoon at a busy rail station
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:06 pm

Riotgrrl wrote:The murder rate in Glasgow remains higher than in any other Western European nation.

Few tourists are killed - mostly it's men killing their wives or young people stabbing their friends or gang rivals to death - but the neds who perpetuate most of the violence are a blight on our city. The violence does not exist in a vacuum; it is a product of that violence. And the sectarianism thing is just another part of that ned 'hard man' culture.

Glasgow is so fantastic. The architecture and buildings are amazing. We have topnotch restaurants and bars, cosmopolitan and catering to all tastes. The weather is mild - a bit wet sometimes, sure, but often it's nice soft rain.

But walking around the city or using public transport you - or me actually - are constantly on edge waiting for something to kick off.

Notwithstanding Moonbeam's post immediately afterwards, I'm going to have to take issue with this one.

For one reason or another, I've always lived in either exceedingly expensive suburbs or poor inner city areas, and public transport has always been my sole mode of transport.

Violence, in my experience , has always been a power issue and expresses itself as much through the powerful as the powerless. I'd say that I'd rather get a late night bus to somewhere 'neddy' than a rush hour train with a gaggle of private school kids, in fact.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:17 pm

Hi Josef. One of my worst experiences of public transport was two years ago. It was my misfortune to elect to use the subway to go to the "southside" when a certain football team were playing. A certain tune was being sung and feet stamped in unison such that it seemed the subway car was bouncing up and down on the track. A truly frightening experience in a packed subway car in an enclosed subway tunnel. Todays incident at Patrick in front of dozens of people and presumably on CCTV was a bad advert for Glasgow. It was just mindless thuggery on an old man. The train driver I think saved the situation from getting out of control as there must have been another 40 or so "football" people who could easily have tried to get the 3 lads away from the police. What made it more shocking to my mind was this was on a busy station platform and train at about 4.45pm on Sunday. Not some late night after the pubs close street rammy.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:27 pm

Hi, Moonbeam.

Group mentality.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:38 pm

Ascribing them any sort of higher level mental functionality is over stating their prospects.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:53 pm

moonbeam wrote:At Partick station at 4.45 to-day Sunday just say 3 football supporters beat up an old guy on a crowded train for not giving them a seat. The 3 guys got arrested. Train cancelled. Old boy streatcherd off train. The driver was quickly on the spot and shut the station. but what on eartch any vistors must think seeing this on a Sunday afternoon at a busy rail station

This is normal when the ugly sisters play.

Also loved the fact that when this page was on the bbc website it was surrounded by stories of stabbings, robbings and attempted murders.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby davadvice » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:15 pm

Riotgrrl wrote:The murder rate in Glasgow remains higher than in any other Western European nation.

Few tourists are killed - mostly it's men killing their wives or young people stabbing their friends or gang rivals to death - but the neds who perpetuate most of the violence are a blight on our city. The violence does not exist in a vacuum; it is a product of that violence. And the sectarianism thing is just another part of that ned 'hard man' culture.

Glasgow is so fantastic. The architecture and buildings are amazing. We have topnotch restaurants and bars, cosmopolitan and catering to all tastes. The weather is mild - a bit wet sometimes, sure, but often it's nice soft rain.

But walking around the city or using public transport you - or me actually - are constantly on edge waiting for something to kick off.

I just read both your posts and thought you seem paranoid. your experiance of our mean city is a far cry from mine. i opt not to use public transport as it's digging. but on the times i have i would not say i was looking over my shoulder.

can i also ask about the user name is this somthing you have picked up from your youth.
davadvice
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:37 pm

davadvice wrote:digging

Wozzatmean?

It's not clear who you're addressing in the rest of the post, D.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Quality Mince » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:25 pm

People’s views of the climate is perception driven. Our climate should be described as a fact. Yes, we get rain. Fact is the British Isles has a maritime climate. Everywhere in the UK receives rain. But we also get our fair share of sunshine as well. We get lots of sunny days every year.

And Glasgow is as safe as any other city in the world. All you need is an ounce of common sense and a sensible hat. Don’t go into certain parts of the city at night and call the first person you meet a ‘Fuckin’ prick!!’ and you’ll be absolutely fine.

Football hooliganism is not a unique Glasgow problem. Arseholism afflicts football supporters the world over. Indeed, it can be extreme during the re-enactment of the history of Ireland in what is an Old Firm game where both sets of supporters can get a chronic dose of arseholism. But arguably, nothing compared to - insert your own example of football violence from anywhere else on the planet. The vast majority of Glasgow football supporters are, in fact, very decent and reasonable human beings.

Glasgow and Scotland’s poor diet is completely self-inflicted. This is a fact. But, careful when considering this fact, because in some areas of Glasgow, life-expectancy is as high as in other parts of the UK. Look at Glasgow’s leafier suburbs of which there are quite a few!! We can choose what we want to eat in Glasgow. If a person chooses to eat a high fat diet and dies a fat bastard then that’s there problem.

See me, I couldn’t give a toss what Ms Ross, Thomas Cook or any other Glasgow basher has to say.

For me, Glasgow is Sun, calm and salads.
Quality Mince
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:51 pm

The above post is a perfect example of the 'head in the sand, arse in the firing line' mentality which curses Glasgow.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:14 am

Quality Mince wrote:The vast majority of Glasgow football supporters are, in fact, very decent and reasonable human beings.

Let's not get carried away.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:23 am

The Egg Man wrote:The above post is a perfect example of the 'head in the sand, arse in the firing line' mentality which curses Glasgow.

That's a tad OTT, Egg.

Any post that ends "For me, Glasgow is Sun, calm and salads." is not without its charms.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:13 am

Josef wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:The above post is a perfect example of the 'head in the sand, arse in the firing line' mentality which curses Glasgow.

That's a tad OTT, Egg.

OK. It's not a perfect example but it's a pretty good example.

Josef wrote:Any post that ends "For me, Glasgow is Sun, calm and salads." is not without its charms.

What it benefits from in charm it loses in reality :wink:
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:08 am

Is The Eggman fae Embra? :wink:
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:28 am

100% Glaswegian here but I don't allow that to cloud my judgement. There's a lot right about Glasgow but there's some stuff needs fixing too.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)