Rain, violence and chips: this is Glasgow,

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Rain, violence and chips: this is Glasgow,

Postby Quality Mince » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:49 pm

Yes, there are many faults with this city as there is in every other city in the entire fuckin’ world. I despair at its poverty and deprivation. I am embarrassed at the state of many housing areas. Crime levels are higher than maybe they ought to be. It never has been and never will be the perfect article.

But to me, Glasgow is my home. This city provides me with a well-paid job and a lovely house worth loads more dosh than the equivalent in neighbouring satellite towns. I have a choice of excellent shops whether it be in the city centre or one of many shopping malls. I frequently use a number of its pubs, restaurants and theatres. I enjoy its beautiful parks and marvel in its architecture and history. I was educated in one of its excellent universities and am extremely happy living within its boundaries. It has given me a totally brilliant standard of living.

I really don’t see any rain, violence and chips in any negative sense whatsoever. My head is not stuck in the sand. And if my arse is in the firing line…just exactly who is shooting at me?

My Glasgow is as good as it gets. So Glasgow bashers…get it right up ye!!
Quality Mince
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:02 pm

Quality Mince wrote:

My sentiments exactly QM... thankyou. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Riotgrrl » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:39 pm

davadvice wrote:
Riotgrrl wrote:The murder rate in Glasgow remains higher than in any other Western European nation.

Few tourists are killed - mostly it's men killing their wives or young people stabbing their friends or gang rivals to death - but the neds who perpetuate most of the violence are a blight on our city. The violence does not exist in a vacuum; it is a product of that violence. And the sectarianism thing is just another part of that ned 'hard man' culture.

Glasgow is so fantastic. The architecture and buildings are amazing. We have topnotch restaurants and bars, cosmopolitan and catering to all tastes. The weather is mild - a bit wet sometimes, sure, but often it's nice soft rain.

But walking around the city or using public transport you - or me actually - are constantly on edge waiting for something to kick off.

I just read both your posts and thought you seem paranoid. your experiance of our mean city is a far cry from mine. i opt not to use public transport as it's digging. but on the times i have i would not say i was looking over my shoulder.

can i also ask about the user name is this somthing you have picked up from your youth.

Loving all this 'well I travel by public transport sometimes but not often, and I disagree with you about violence' stuff.

We are not restricted to anecdotal evidence here. Glasgow is the most violent city in Western Europe. There is more than ample statistical evidence of that. It's undeniable.

As to my username - Riotgrrrl (with one more r than mine) was a feminist/punk movement from America. Its most famous proponent was probably Kathleen Hannah, who was also the person who gave Kurt Cobain the song title for 'Smells Like Teen SPirit' when she accused him of smelling like that.
International general interest photoboard: http://photofit.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:56 pm

Quality Mince wrote: .........................

My Glasgow's pretty damn good too but my Glasgow, like yours, isn't everyone's Glasgow.

Not everyone has a well paid job. A lot of Glaswegians don't have a job at all. Not everyone has a lovely house. Some are cold and damp, with mould and crap neighbours. Not everyone gets to the great shops and pubs. Some never see beyond their local Navid's or The Clansman. Not everyone made it beyond education to age 16. Some didn't last that long at the school. Some don't live that long and are lost to drugs or violence.

The mark of a society is how it treats the less well off (in all senses) members. Glasgow doesn't do that very well. It may be no worse than other comparable sized cities in the UK but that, for me, just isn't good enough.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:06 pm

Riotgrrl wrote:We are not restricted to anecdotal evidence here. Glasgow is the most violent city in Western Europe. There is more than ample statistical evidence of that. It's undeniable.

Not to make any point other than to say - isn't Nottingham the most violent city in the UK? I remember an article which blamed it on the rapid expansion of City Centre nightlife with no corresponding increase in public transport, i.e. drunken fights in long taxi queues.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:16 pm

I suspect quite a few cities could lay claim to 'most violent in the UK' but it'll all come down to definition.

Most murders? Would that only be murder by strangers or would spousal/ sibling etc killing count too? Definitely 'violence' but how much of a risk would that be to others?

Similar reservations would apply to counting other crimes of violence.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fiain » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:35 pm

I hesitate a little to enter this debate as It's twenty odd years since I left Glasgow, however I'm a frequent visitor and have the opportunity to compare Glasgow to some other cities and towns close to where I now live. Bristol, Gloucester and Swindon all have their unlovely aspects and none compare with Glasgow at it's best, but unfortunately neither do they present as bad as Glasgow at it's worst.

What I find depressing about Glasgow is the casual prejudice and bigotry, based on both religion and nationality, displayed by it's inhabitants. The stupid blue/ green mentality may have lessened over the years but it doesn't take much for it to come to the surface- who can relish a city centre visit immediately after an old firm game or during the so-called 'marching season'. I have never witnessed or been subject to any overt anti-Scottish prejudice south of the border but have witnessed plenty of anti-English sentiment being expressed by Glaswegians (well, by Scots in general to be honest).

Whilst visiting Glasgow I generally rely on public transport and although there is often an atmosphere of friendliness and good humour around, there is frequently too, an underlying edge of threat and violence, particularly on late night buses and trains. This at a much higher level than I have witnessed any where else.

The chip-on-the-shoulder attitude, which manifests itself in being overly defensive to any criticism, is an all too frequent response to this topic. I am immensely proud of my home city I am always singing it's praises to my friends and workmates but at the same time we have to accept that there are many less than positive aspects to the city which should be acknowledged and challenged.

And sorry, but yes, it does alway seem to be raining!
fiain
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby scaryman2u » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:41 pm

Quality Mince wrote:Yes, there are many faults with this city as there is in every other city in the entire fuckin’ world. I despair at its poverty and deprivation. I am embarrassed at the state of many housing areas. Crime levels are higher than maybe they ought to be. It never has been and never will be the perfect article.

But to me, Glasgow is my home. This city provides me with a well-paid job and a lovely house worth loads more dosh than the equivalent in neighbouring satellite towns. I have a choice of excellent shops whether it be in the city centre or one of many shopping malls. I frequently use a number of its pubs, restaurants and theatres. I enjoy its beautiful parks and marvel in its architecture and history. I was educated in one of its excellent universities and am extremely happy living within its boundaries. It has given me a totally brilliant standard of living.

I really don’t see any rain, violence and chips in any negative sense whatsoever. My head is not stuck in the sand. And if my arse is in the firing line…just exactly who is shooting at me?

Hi QM, good post mate, I`n not embarrassed by our city as most cities have similar problems, yes I am frustrated by this, but not embarrassed by it as its not always a thing of our doing, it could be better, but hey ho.

Glasgow is and always will be my home. My job I presume isn`t as well paid as yours, nor is my home in an affluent area, but it is my home in my chosen place. I do have the same choice of shopping areas as yourself and access to the same pubs, restaurants, theatres etc and share your love of parks,architecture and history. I love the feel of rain on my face and abhor the violence. I also have a penchance for the chips with gold star brown sauce mmmmm.

As the song says ...I belong to Glasgow and Glasgow belongs to me
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Riotgrrl » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:59 pm

Josef wrote:
Riotgrrl wrote:We are not restricted to anecdotal evidence here. Glasgow is the most violent city in Western Europe. There is more than ample statistical evidence of that. It's undeniable.

Not to make any point other than to say - isn't Nottingham the most violent city in the UK? I remember an article which blamed it on the rapid expansion of City Centre nightlife with no corresponding increase in public transport, i.e. drunken fights in long taxi queues.

No, Glasgow has far more violent crime per head of population.
International general interest photoboard: http://photofit.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Riotgrrl » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:05 pm

And I should say, like other posters, I choose to live here in Glasgow and I think it's one of the greatest cities in the world. I think the weather here is marvellous - even whe it does rain, it's often that soft gentle rain that is soothing, or it's spectacular swift showers that are wonderful to watch (if not so good to get caught in.)

But all kinds of violence - knife crime, domestic abuse, murders, gang violence - in the greater Glasgow area (including in the Lanarkshires, etc.) is more prevalent here than anywhere else in Western Europe. I think you have to go as far east as the ex-USSR countries to find cities with a comparable murder rate.

We are trying to address this. The work of Strathclyde Police's Violence Reduction Unit, based on close analysis of data and research, intervening directly in certain areas and with certain individuals, trying to change that culture of neddism is world-class. But so long as we continue to revere 'the hard man' and use the language of violence every day, we're not going to change that culture.

(The chips allegation is nonsense of course. You can get chips in Glasgow, but you can also get Egyptian food, Russian food, Italian, Indian, French, Thai, Chinese, seriously good Scottish food, etc. etc. With such a huge array of cosmopolitan restaurants in the city, how can you make such an allegation?)
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:46 pm

what are the statistics on religious sectarian violence?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:55 pm

most sectarian violence in glasgow gets reported as a football related incident.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:57 pm

and is that "downgrading" reflected in the justice system as well?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Maybe one of us should set up an edgy tourist trail like this inspiring chap has done here for Charleroi:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/s ... city-world
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:37 pm

Here, that sounds excellent. I feel an HG safari coming on.

"Ugliness has one great advantage over beauty" says one of the artists in the Cockerill steelworks, portentously quoting Serge Gainsbourg, as all arty francophones must do by law several times a year. "It is not diminished by the passage of time."

.. made me laugh.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)