Rain, violence and chips: this is Glasgow,

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Rain, violence and chips: this is Glasgow,

Postby Riotgrrl » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:24 pm

Basically, there is no Catholic rain and there is no Protestant rain.

There are no Catholic chips and there are no Protestant chips.

Even the violence is statistically more likely than not to be neither Catholic violence nor Protestant violence.

Let's all not go to church together, and instead we'll go out and eat chips and have a square go. Anyone else up for it?
International general interest photoboard: http://photofit.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:26 pm

Riotgrrl wrote:Basically, there is no Catholic rain and there is no Protestant rain.

Even the violence is statistically more likely than not to be neither Catholic violence nor Protestant violence.

Let's all not go to church together, and instead we'll go out and eat chips and have a square go. Anyone else up for it?

Chips are bad for you ::):
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby draugelis » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:48 pm

Riotgrrl wrote:Basically, there is no Catholic rain and there is no Protestant rain.

So long as we all sing "Our God Rains" before we go into battle.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits
draugelis
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Riotgrrl » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:52 pm

draugelis wrote:

So long as we all sing "Our God Rains" before we go into battle.

A-fried with me . . .
International general interest photoboard: http://photofit.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:15 pm

love it :D
I always heard that Seamus was the Irish version of James but they kept the Hamish connection quiet ::): ::): :wink:

and catching up with a previous post I too was brought up with the notion that any school that wasn't catholic was therefore protestant. :roll:

and there's a few jokes there but I won't bother.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Quality Mince » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:48 pm

Thing about Catholics and Protestants is that both are Christian. So my question is this? What team does God support?
Quality Mince
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:55 pm

Quality Mince wrote:Thing about Catholics and Protestants is that both are Christian. So my question is this? What team does God support?

Most self-styled Catholics and Protestants aren't Catholics or Protestants at all and are simply playing the each way bet. The chances are the only time religion crosses their minds is when they're rushed to A&E following a fracas and have to answer the question - at which point they revert to type.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Celyn » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:58 pm

Quality Mince wrote:Thing about Catholics and Protestants is that both are Christian. So my question is this? What team does God support?

God doesn't care about football: she has more sense. :D
Celyn
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:29 pm

Celyn wrote:

God doesn't care about football: she has more sense. :D

Except for the fact that she gets the house to herself on alternative Saturday afternoon.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:23 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:There's a bit of naivety about sectarianism in Scotland. Like Joe's thinking that Catholic schools are the cause of bigotry.

I didn't say that, and I didn't mean to say that either.
Here's what I said:
Segregating children breeds bigotry.

You could argue that I'm implying that Catholic schools are at fault in so far as it's the Catholic church which insists on separate schools, but really, if kids below 5' 6'' went to one school and taller kids went another, you'd still get bigotry.

I was 26 before I heard the term Non Denominational School, when I got home, I asked my (Principal Classics in a convent school) wife what it meant. "Och it's just another name for a Protestant school".
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:08 am

hungryjoe wrote:on separate schools, but really, if kids below 5' 6'' went to one school and taller kids went another, you'd still get bigotry.

of course you would - reminds me of the experiment in US school in the 60's seperating the blue eyed kids from the brown eyed kids

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Elliott

interesting to read some of the comments against it and in context of the time were;
"How dare you do that to our white kids"

I wonder if any teacher tried that now would it be;
"How dare you do that to our kids"?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:51 am

I was waiting for someone else to pick this up, but I can't let it pass.

From this can we conclude that a vague memory of a hand written note constitutes evidence for the existence of "protestant schools"?
Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Riotgrrl wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:
And BTW as late as the 80's there was a sign in the office at 129 Bath Street that said Catholic Schools / Protestant Schools.

I'm sorry, but I actually don't believe that.

I was educated in Glasgow schools. My mother taught in Glasgow schools.

The phrase 'Protestant School' is one I have never heard or seen in any official way referring to the non RC schools in Glasgow. Parish Schools, historically yes, and there is an obvious linguistic link there with the Church of Scotland. But 'Protestant Schools'? Never. Not in the 20th century.

Of course, I'm happy to be proved wrong . . . .

It was handwritten in an office in the late seventies and possibly in the office round the corner (not the 80's as I wrote above) and the phrase "protestant schools" was in common use. The admin staff put it up to designate a division of mail but it was an office that must have seen the occasional education officer.

I note that you're more shocked at this than Joe's history.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:04 pm

Schools were not referred to as Denominational, or Non denominational outside of written documents. They were spoken bout in the terms I used in my original post.

You're all apparently happy that children can attend segregated schools as long as that segregation depends on money, sex or buying a house within the Jordanhill School Catchment area.

That Convent school HJ, would t have been girls only?

You want to deny parents the little choice they have in schooling. But you want someone else to deny it because your arguments on sectarianism as a natural by product of Cathoilc Schools don't stand up..
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:49 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:You're all apparently happy that children can attend segregated schools as long as that segregation depends on money, sex or buying a house within the Jordanhill School Catchment area.

Segregation is a bad thing in principle then? In which case, removing one cause of it can't be so bad, surely; either that or all must stand until it can all be solved at once with one stroke of the bureaucratic pen?
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Josef » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:42 pm

A couple of questions on that.

Are there any single-sex state schools in Scotland?

Jordanhill - do they get a higher level of funding per pupil than other state schools, or is the gripe that they are effectively overfunded compared to schools in less affluent areas because they don't have the same level of social issues to deal with?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)