Where is this (reprise)?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Where is this (reprise)?

Postby 2HB » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:02 am

Masonic function seems unlikely only because of the lack of regalia.I would say more but i can't. :roll:
2HB
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:04 am

Bridie wrote:I thought Freemason/Masonic (don't know what they look like mind or the difference)
If you look at the fabric banners on either side of the balconies they seem to be held up in the middle by wooden crests - maybe commemerating something or with names on them?

Sorry to be pedantic, but I have to mention again the top centre of the 'stage', where there is definitely the outline of a man's face with laurel branches each side. This may be a big clue, if we could only figure out who he could be and what it means!

As for the bride, I know that in the past women would wear their Sunday Best rather than the white meringue, but in the period we are discussing, and with the fairly grand affair pictured, I would have expected the bride to be in some sort of wedding dress and to be easily identifiable.

By the way, I'm with the Hall theory now, too....
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:09 am

On a related note, some of you on here may find this website a bit useful.

http://www.tineye.com/

Tin eye is an image search site where you actually search for the image, not the description of the image. If you know what I mean. It is not entirely working yet as it takes time to crawl the web logging images, but it can be used to find other uses of the same image.

For example, i may have searched for the image from this thread, and someone somewhere may have used it as a completely unrelated image for an unrelated topic which wouldn't show up when you google it. They may have tagged it however with a wee nugget of useful info such as people/place etc.

happy hunting!
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby 2HB » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:40 am

i blew it up a bit and on closer inspection there is a man top left second row down holding what looks like a trophy ? or something?

It's a trophy of sorts.i thought at first it was a masonic apron but it's not.Some theatre society award ceremony?
2HB
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:53 am

ibtg wrote:
Bridie wrote:I thought Freemason/Masonic (don't know what they look like mind or the difference)
If you look at the fabric banners on either side of the balconies they seem to be held up in the middle by wooden crests - maybe commemerating something or with names on them?

Sorry to be pedantic, but I have to mention again the top centre of the 'stage', where there is definitely the outline of a man's face with laurel branches each side. This may be a big clue, if we could only figure out who he could be and what it means!

As for the bride, I know that in the past women would wear their Sunday Best rather than the white meringue, but in the period we are discussing, and with the fairly grand affair pictured, I would have expected the bride to be in some sort of wedding dress and to be easily identifiable.

By the way, I'm with the Hall theory now, too....

Yes I see it now. There doesn't seem to be any other figures on the walls either so he is obviously the main man :D

Also there is something a wee bit scary I've just noticed maybe it's just the pic
If you look at the top and just below the trees in the centre go to the right past the man/woman with a black brooch or bow and then there's what looks like either a child or a very small featured woman but is a bit out of focus to the rest?

edited
Other than it being Rabbie Burns from a distance ? laurel leaves symbolise Apollo and athletic pursuits is the backdrop therefore Greek?
Last edited by Bridie on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:55 am

2HB wrote:i blew it up a bit and on closer inspection there is a man top left second row down holding what looks like a trophy ? or something?

It's a trophy of sorts.i thought at first it was a masonic apron but it's not.Some theatre society award ceremony?

I really don't think it's a wedding unless he was obsessed about his trophy 8O
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby 2HB » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:04 pm

I also don't think its a trophy Bridie the more i look at it.All the white gloves? maybe its a convention of snooker referees and their wives?
2HB
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:05 pm

2HB wrote:I also don't think its a trophy Bridie the more i look at it.All the white gloves? maybe its a convention of snooker referees and their wives?

I've just had another thought and edited into my post above going the same route as you :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:50 pm

Bridie wrote:
2HB wrote:I also don't think its a trophy Bridie the more i look at it.All the white gloves? maybe its a convention of snooker referees and their wives?

I've just had another thought and edited into my post above going the same route as you :D

I know it would be a bit high, but I thought it was a sporran. Also, the man would have to squeeze his arms past the backs of the women to either side to be holding anything. I thought it looked like his arms were behind his back.

There is a guy on the front row, to the left, seated that looks like he is holding a trophy right enough. And the guy with his legs crossed on the floor looks like Charles Rennie Mackintosh, but then they all did back then eh?

The wee scary burd up the back is a bit freaky...
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:57 pm

It's almost like the 'staff' having their photo taken.

They aren't particularly well organized in terms of posing, they all look quite well kitted out but with aprons on etc.

Could they be on a christmas party type event? The wee CRM guy from previous post looks like he has an apron on, and the 'lower class' would be more likely to sit on the floor for a photie, no?
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby weasler » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:07 pm

The 4 guys looking down from the balcony look to come from a different era, as only 1 from 4 has a tash, and their clothes wouldnt look out of place at a Kray twins 21st party.

Anyone else notice what looks like writing saying BAD on the opposite balcony from the 4 onlookers.

That small lady at the back, does look freaky.
weasler
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby 2HB » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:48 pm

Anyone else notice what looks like writing saying BAD on the opposite balcony from the 4 onlookers.
Shame they all have two gloves on.because it would almost certainly have been a meeting of the Michael Jackson Fan Club............ :P
2HB
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:10 pm

where can we find interior shots of the Grand Hotel, Charing Cross..they must have had a few function rooms
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:59 pm

Here is the capacity of the Public Halls in Glasgow in 1904. As you will see there is a few with galleries which may narrow it down if the venue was in fact held in a public hall (which l think it was)

CORPORATION PUBLIC HALLS. 1904

CITY HALL SUITE.
Grand Hall, with Gallery, - 3500
Saloon Hall, - 450
Lesser Hall, -350
Mid City Hall, - 300
Upper City Hall, - 300
No. 1 Room, - 150

ST. ANDREW'S HALL SUITE.
Grand Hall, with Gallery, - 4500
Berkeley Hall, with Gallery, - 900
Kent Hall, - 500
Upper Hall, - 600
Mid Hall, - 300
Ballroom Suite, - 250 couples
No. 1 Room, - 100
No. 2 Room, - 50
No. 3 Room, - 70

Springburn Hall, with Gallery, - 1200
Public Hall, Maryhill, with Gallery, - 800
Public Hall, Hillhead, - 360
Public Hall, Pollokshields, - 360
Public Hall, Cranston Street, - 400
Public Hall, Tobago Street. - 400
Dixon Hall, Cathcart Road, with Gallery, - 1000

Bobby
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:46 pm

Old photos are scary anyway but the wee woman up the back is definately out of proportion size wise from the rest and what's going on with the barnet? You know whats going to happen next ? she will start to fade from the pic 8O I can see the word Bad as well. That could have been added as something to do with the the quality of the pic?

I'll take a stab at this and say that it's either a sport/athletic gathering or possibly a Greek/Turkish gathering -do they all have dark hair ? and it's maybe in the Grecian Chambers Sauchiehall St

Colonel Mustard in ....
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)