'Graffiti Artists' - hang them or hug them?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

'Graffiti Artists' - hang them or hug them?

1. Hang them!
11
31%
2. Hug them!
3
9%
3. Leave them be. It's art!
16
46%
4. I have no strong feelings either way. I don't care.
5
14%
 
Total votes : 35

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:17 pm

*disclaimer

Hidden Glasgow reserves the right to operate a Zero-Tolerance stance on SPAM in any way, shape or form.

:wink: ::):
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-
 
Posts: 4426
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:52 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby Apollo » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:52 am

turbozutek wrote:Zero Tolerance = Zero Thought, Zero Common Sense.

Stupidity.

That applies to most concepts of 'Zero Tolerance'.

Chris...


Couldn't agree more. It's yet another spin doctors buzzphrase that the no-brainers (politicians?) can latch on to.

And there's one of my little pets probably illustrating the point, Gatso's. Speed through them for ANY reason, collect fine, collect points. If you have a reason, spend the rest of your life in court trying to get the automated system reversed. At one time they were enforcing the things when they caught the emergency services, but it looks as if they're going to just have someone in the office 'lose' the evidence and save the appeal costs.
User avatar
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2284
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 10:26 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby George » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:52 pm

Apollo seems to be the sane voice on this topic. I personally do not appreciate graffitti. It represents frustration of a youth that has no other outlet for their 'creativity'....I suggest bringing back the birch.
User avatar
George
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:03 pm
Location: City centre

Postby mrlipring » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:00 am

George wrote:Apollo seems to be the sane voice on this topic. I personally do not appreciate graffitti. It represents frustration of a youth that has no other outlet for their 'creativity'....I suggest bringing back the birch.


You don't appreciate it. I can understand that.

Where's a more public place to air your views than right there, in public, on walls?

The more people turn something as mundane as a boring old brick wall into works of art, the better. When i lived in Kilmarnock, one of the things i most looked forward to about coming to Glasgow was seeing what new graffitti had been done beside the train lines.

I DO NOT like ned graffitti. I think that goes without saying. Some wee bam spraying a tag on a bus shelter while pished is not my idea of art. There is, however, load of good work throughout glasgow, Rogue One being one artist that consistently does good stuff, but there are plenty of others.

What part of graffitti is it that you don't like? Is it the vandalism? Or do you refuse to agree that it is art? Had it been officially sanctioned graffitti, on a wall designated for that kinda stuff, would you appreciate it? Do you dislike all types of graffitti art?

As for saying it's frustrated young people letting their creativity out, because they have no other outlet, have you any idea about the individuals that actually spray paint? Many make a living from various types of art, and one form they enjoy is graffitti. They're not all skater kids, and indeed they're not all kids. They're not all rebelling against something, they just enjoy it, and see it as a viable alternative to painting, sculpture, whatever. It's urban art.

As for bringing back the birch, i'll assume that's just George being George, saying daft things again.




edit: meant to say this:

When i said i'd rather people were spraying stuff rather than saying nothing at all, i was talking about people making political statements in their art. There's a lot of satirical graffitti out there, it's encouraging to see that it's not all about ego and territory. There's nothing wrong with art for art's sake, but i like to see the political satire stuff.
"You just keep pumping away until someone suitably qualified tells you to stop."
User avatar
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:40 pm
Location: The Royal Burgh

Postby engineer » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:14 am

Image
round this area of govan road is pretty much a shithole so i believe this actually adds to the area. i think the inclusion of the armadillo, finnieston crane and a big daft boat show some local character. anyone have an idea of what the detail in the bottom right is meant to be?

further along govan rd
Image
User avatar
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:33 pm
Location: media quarter

Postby montrose » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:06 pm

Dont have a problem with graffiti so long as its fairly artistic ...(oh that sounds old now doesnt it) ... :(


remember there was a cool bit behind hillhead library that then got a bit ruined. in previous job incarnations i suggested tolerance zones along the canal towpaths and cycle paths so long as they were tasteful and non abusive that would be whitewashed every so often to inspire new works .... none of the powers liked it ...though it would encourage more....shame kinda liked the idea
good for you....
User avatar
montrose
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:20 pm
Location: sunkissed kirkie

Postby duncan » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:11 pm

montrose, there used to be 'legal walls' in Glasgow that were just that - tolerated areas for graffiti artists to paint. Until 2001.
The bit behind Hillhead has 1 commissioned mural on it. The rest of the wall has seen some good and a lot of dross on it, and gets painted over in lovely beige regularly. Because we all like beige, don't we?

This used to be here, but was painted over (why?):
Image

This is the commissioned mural, same artist as the piece on the left in the above pic:
Image
User avatar
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1150
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:54 am
Location: Glasgow

Postby montrose » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:57 am

its the same old problem ... people always complain that there is nothing for them to do (guess im mainly taking about the youth here).... yet when they find something they car express a creative side with we stamp on it ...they are artists we should help them express their artistic voice.

no wonder they dont trust us .....
good for you....
User avatar
montrose
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:20 pm
Location: sunkissed kirkie

Postby George » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:25 am

mrlipring....you seem an otherwise lucid man...why are you defending vandalism?....I can proudly say that I have never once been guilty of 'grafitti' crime....but more proudly that I have never felt the inclination. While you guys were busy spray painting walls with 'knob pics'...I was quafing wine with politicians, smoking drugs, and making love to wonderful young women. Where did it all go wrong?
User avatar
George
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:03 pm
Location: City centre

Postby DMcNay » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:04 pm

George wrote: Where did it all go wrong?


You started posting on here and became very annoying.
Too few hours in the day.
User avatar
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2487
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:00 am
Location: Hermitage

Postby mrlipring » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:33 pm

George wrote:mrlipring....you seem an otherwise lucid man...why are you defending vandalism?....I can proudly say that I have never once been guilty of 'grafitti' crime....but more proudly that I have never felt the inclination. While you guys were busy spray painting walls with 'knob pics'...I was quafing wine with politicians, smoking drugs, and making love to wonderful young women. Where did it all go wrong?


Us guys? Where did i say that i had ever created graffitti; arty OR spunking cock on a bus shelter?

If your opinion of graffitti is that it's all knob pics, you're an idiot. Have you seen the pics on graffitti that have been posted here? If you haven't, you shouldn't be arguing about it. If you have, you're an idiot or a troll. You might not appreciate it, but it's definitely not all knob pics.

Personally, i've had enough of socialising with politicians, the smoking pot thing pretty much bores me, but i don't think i'll ever get bored of making love to wonderful young women.

I'll assume it all went wrong when you became a troll or an idiot (delete as applicable), george.
"You just keep pumping away until someone suitably qualified tells you to stop."
User avatar
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:40 pm
Location: The Royal Burgh

Postby George » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:39 pm

What annoys me most about the Arty grafitti is that I CAN see the beauty in it. If I was sitting having a latte with mrlipring in the museum of religeon cafe, I would hate it if even Salvador Dali started painting Christ of St John on the back of my head. It is my head and not a canvas for art. Plus I'd feel bad about washing my head again. Do you understand mrlipring. The problem I have is their choice of canvas, not the quality of the work.
User avatar
George
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:03 pm
Location: City centre

Postby duncan » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:51 pm

George wrote:I would hate it if even Salvador Dali started painting Christ of St John on the back of my head. It is my head and not a canvas for art. Plus I'd feel bad about washing my head again. Do you understand mrlipring. The problem I have is their choice of canvas, not the quality of the work.


good analogy! no wait, actually a really bad analogy. explain your argument to me again, this time without the analogy. do you not like the fact they paint on walls? or is it that they paint on walls that they don't own?

not all graffiti is vandalism. if you give them a wall and say paint here, they will. if you say that you can't paint on any walls, then you won't stop them painting anywhere.
User avatar
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1150
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:54 am
Location: Glasgow

Postby George » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:04 pm

No, I literally mean I'd be annoyed if somebody started painting a picture on the back of my head again. The last time it took turps to get the bugger off.
User avatar
George
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:03 pm
Location: City centre

Postby mrlipring » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:13 pm

See george, you're a funny guy sometimes. If you posted more stuff like that, and less attacks on people and random pish for the sake of it, you'd get along better with everyone.
"You just keep pumping away until someone suitably qualified tells you to stop."
User avatar
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:40 pm
Location: The Royal Burgh

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests