'Graffiti Artists' - hang them or hug them?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

'Graffiti Artists' - hang them or hug them?

1. Hang them!
31%
2. Hug them!
9%
3. Leave them be. It's art!
46%
4. I have no strong feelings either way. I don't care.
14%

Total votes : 35

Postby mustardman » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:30 pm

I remember there being alot of these "graffiti" paintings were quite big in the eighties. Does anyone remember the one just of the expressway in the underpass on Finnieston St(if you were sitting at the traffic lights in a bus you could see them)??

I don't think it is graffiti, its art....I would rather see that than unimaginative "menches".....its like a fucking dog marking its territory with piss. Some of these neds actually carry a pen about with them, and whenever they are on there way home(waiting on a number 9 or 41 :wink: :wink: ) they will deface bus shelters etc.....why??
mustardman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby engineer » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:04 pm

how dare aspersions be cast on the numer 9 scum shovel!
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alchemist » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:03 am

Seems the "lizzies arcade" scrawl has gone a bit overboard
in G1, check out the Saltmarket area. Perhaps it's someone
trying to promote a band, because their website is offline :wink:
Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby George » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:55 am

This seems to me to be the natural developement of these 'artists'.

"An artist who randomly vandalised nearly 50 cars for a project said the owners should be happy they were part of his "creative process".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4454485.stm

What, in the name of god is next. Geting your face and body beaten black and blue, as part of a 'creative process'?
I notice the little rascal is from Glasgow too.

The world has gone mad.
George
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alchemist » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:03 am

Keying cars isn't art. If they do a nice respray to
a high standard I can see their point. Keying is
just nedish and deserves a jolly kick up the ass :evil:

Sorry, that reminds me, you can't give someone a
good kick up the ass anymore, thanks to the "nanny
state".
Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:25 pm

Obvioulsy a candidate for residency in one of the closed hospitals featured in HG.

"There is a strong creative element in the keying of a car, it's an emotive engagement."

Mr McGowan, who has described himself as "the British alternative to David Blaine" nailed his feet to an art gallery last year - in protest against leaves.

"He is more likely to get a visit from Strathclyde's finest than any funding from us." (Scottish Arts Council).

I can think of 51 or so who might want to help him recreate his art gallery leaf protest, but with the nails welded down so they can't be removed
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alchemist » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:33 pm

Mr McGowan, who has described himself as "the British alternative to David Blaine" nailed his feet to an art gallery last year - in protest against leaves.

Sounds as if Mr. McGowan will be entering hospital soon,
perhaps Gartnavel :P
Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby excoriate » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:38 pm

I have a "friend" :roll: who wants to start doing this but "he" doesn't want to ruin anyones property by stencilling some cynical private eye style slogans...

How illegal is this?
Where do you suggest doing it?
Any paints that are easier to wash off?
I was thinking just to stencil onto existing bill posters as its not as though they are permanent features...
excoriate
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:23 pm

Using illegal Bill posters as a canvas for street art and graffiti, excellent idea :)

Where can we publicise it and invite participants?

Has multiple advantages, means we don't have to look at yet more unwanted adverts, and since it obscures them, means the posters have wasted their money having the things printed since no-one can read them.

On a par with carrying a small pair of wire cutters to allow one to partake in the innocent pleasure of watching those cards that the fly-by-nights insist on cable tying to safety railings and lamposts drift along the road in the wind :twisted:
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:22 pm

excoriate wrote:I have a "friend" :roll: who wants to start doing this but "he" doesn't want to ruin anyones property by stencilling some cynical private eye style slogans...

How illegal is this?
Where do you suggest doing it?
Any paints that are easier to wash off?
I was thinking just to stencil onto existing bill posters as its not as though they are permanent features...

technically it's graffitti/vandalism. it's very frowned upon, but i'd think that at the worst you'd get community service, cleaning up graffitti. Maybe a fine.

where? Depends. Do you want to reach as many people as possible, or do you want them hidden away where those who find them feel kinda special, like they've discovered treasure?

dunno about paint...

as for the billposter thing, don't people tend to put billposters where people can see them, because they're advertising something? that's riskier.

i prefer hidden away stuff. I like to wander down sidestreets and find stuff i've never seen before.
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby excoriate » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:10 pm

Hmmm... I dont really mind putting them in quieter areas, I just dont want a criminal record in case it messes around with future career opportunities.

The bill posters I was thinking of spraying over, altho in busy areas, tend to be busy only because they are by roadsides, they aren't busy all the time and offer a quick getaway!

I'd like to think I could have a wee chat with Mr Policeman if I was ever caught, just say that the surface is illegal and was already there, I was just blanking it out :roll:
excoriate
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)