'Graffiti Artists' - hang them or hug them?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

1. Hang them!
31%
2. Hug them!
9%
3. Leave them be. It's art!
46%
4. I have no strong feelings either way. I don't care.
14%

Total votes : 35

Postby PlasticDel » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:57 pm

So The Sunday Post today had an article about graffiti and oor Duncan here was interviewed along with it...

The interview went something like this...
http://www.nograffiti.com/grafnews/6_27_03/cities_condemn_project_which_use.htm

It didn't really go like that... But I'll try and get a REAL copy to post. Duncan can tell us all about it too. :)

So what's your opinion on graffiti and 'graffiti artists'?

'Cause when I'm king... blah blah blah...
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:04 pm

I'm of a leave them be attitude.

So long as some actual artistic effort has gone into creating something beautiful or striking.

I'm not fond of seeing crappy menties (menshys - whatever) scrawled accross every available surface. But then thats not really graffiti...
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kn0wledge » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:54 pm

I am all in favour of creating tolerance zones. That is to say, not so "artists" can scrawl about who shagged who, what phone numbers to call for a blowjob and who is a grass.

I like the proper murals but, as I said, I don't want to see it all over the place. Designated areas are the way to go.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:55 pm

I always find it funny people who write their own name several times in the Gents toilets.
What? They advertising?

Also, the scraping of bus windows. Whats all that about!
Little idiots.

I havent seen any grafitti so far worth saying it's art.
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:54 pm

::):
Last edited by paladin on Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:51 pm

Well done Duncan nice quote. :wink:
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby caine » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:06 am

i used to be one of these young "vandals." but there was a huge difference from the pieces that i and my fellow painters did compared to pish tags and menshies that is rife though out glasgow. that is not "graffitti" in the sense that i know it as.

if anyone happens to venture down comercial street during the day time you'll see a wonderful piece that the hostel down there allowed local painters to do on their garden wall. THAT is true art.

if i only had a digital camera i'd run down and get a couple of shots.

this kind of thing. http://www.graffiti.org/

thought provoking spray painting with meaning or a message, with a varity of colours, style, and skills used to controll a can of paint is certainly not vandalism.

stupid little runts who think becoming a graffitti artist means desiging a tag and then writing it on anything that does or doesnt move is what the vast majority of people consider to be graffitti, and i as well find it unsightly.

there used to be a number of tolerated areas, including the walls at garnet hill over looking charring cross and the motorway, the wall under the outside stairs at kelvinbridge underground and pollock boys football club.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby duncan » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:59 am

caine, you obviously know your stuff!

I haven't actually seen the Sunday Post article myself (stupidly forgot to buy a copy), so if anyone happens to have a copy, can you keep it for me?

art?
click the thumbnail
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:06 am

Well, I would class that quite safetly as art.

Its is creative and well executed. Good use of colour, form and composition.

All of which makes it art.

It is not ugly.

Indeed graffiti only ever becomes ugly when teh wee neds come along and start to add their tags all over the original piece. Or perhaps when it starts to fade...
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby caine » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:24 pm

duncan wrote:caine, you obviously know your stuff!

cheers, it bacame an obsession for me at one point, spending up to 200 quid a month on paint! 8O

its just a pity that the authorities cant see past the rubbish to see that spray paint is just another medium for an artist to use.

they should make an example of the vandals, and leave the ones with an ounce of talent alone and stop tarnishing them with the same brush. no pun inteneded.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:10 am

That orange one isnae bad, Duncan. But more often that not, when I'm walking the dug I'm more likely to see something like this...

http://www.duncancumming.co.uk/photos.cfm?photo=4379

If it's on the side of some run down battered warehouse, then fine, as long as it's awright (like the pretty orange one you show) but the one I linked there is just nothing to me other than a mess on a school wall (where I usually see stuff like that) or whatever.

Hey if this 'art work' brightens up the shite you see when passing by in the train, then cool, the place might look better, send them all down that way! But then again sometimes I just huff and puff when I see that too. But I wouldn't like to see some painted fat lady and her dog from some art gallery pasted on the side of warehouse either.

I guess I would just like the whole place to be clean and tidy and nice with no grafitti.

I get kinda torn between my opinions here (Can you tell???)

Besides, would 'tolerance zones' even work? I remember a thing on TV a few years back, NYC had tried it, and all the kids/folks were still running around their subway, spraying it. It's all about the danger or something... Getting it in the most amazing place!

Maybe I just need to see more of the nice ones. MAybe someone needs to educate me more on this, or open my eyes. Maybe I'm confused...
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:17 am

After the Gatso scamera, welcome to the Graffto scamera.

Set up by a non-profit Government authority, Grafftos are to be set up in areas where graffiti is known to occur, and will only be set up where they are in plain sight, but will be camouflaged so they are not seen as eyesores.

In order to function, Grafftos were originally envisaged as using the barcode tatttoos recent legislation required all neds to have (as seen in Dark Angel) for identification, however as they refused to co-operate and covered them, new legislation is about to be approved which advances the compulsory identity card scheme to its next stage, requiring all members of the the public to have a sub-dermal radio tag inserted (£15 with aneasthetic, £10 without) before their next birthday, or be interred.

In operation, the Graffto is triggered by a local motion sensor, immediately transmitting all tag details within range to central control. If any tags remains in the area for more than a few minutes, solvent sensors are activated, triggering the transmission and recording of video evidence at control should they detect fresh paint solvent.

In a move to popularise the Graffto, and reduce court costs and time, silent death squads will be despatched to deal with repeat offenders, a doubly economic move as the graffite cleaners can carry out 'housekeeping' too.

:twisted:
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:48 am

PlasticDel wrote:If it's on the side of some run down battered warehouse, then fine, as long as it's awright (like the pretty orange one you show) but the one I linked there is just nothing to me other than a mess on a school wall (where I usually see stuff like that) or whatever.

the orange one has been painted by two guys who've been doing this for probably 10+ years each. that other one has been done by some bloke who's probably 15 and just started last year. what people don't realise is that to become an accomplished graffiti artist takes years of practice. you can't have the good stuff without having to put up with the not-so-good stuff. but give that guy a couple of years, and he'll be producing stuff you might like the look of. the wall is their sketchbook.

also, those guys are painting on what is almost certainly a 'legal' wall, i.e. they're not about to get arrested doing it. the other one is on the side of some building where he most certainly would get arrested if seen doing it. so he only has a few minutes to work in if he wants to reduce his risk exposure.
this is why legal walls / tolerance zones / call it what you will, are a good idea. graffiti artists can spend hours painting in daylight, and nobody objects to where they're painting. rather than having to spend a few minutes painting quickly in the dark, where almost nobody's going to be happy to see some graffiti painted.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby caine » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:42 pm

duncan wrote:the wall is their sketchbook..

the wall was my canvas, my sketch book was my sketchbook! :wink:
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby duncan » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:32 pm

caine wrote:the wall was my canvas, my sketch book was my sketchbook! :wink:

of course... i stand corrected... what did you tag btw? PM me if you don't want to say on the forum
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)