Dechmont Firing Range, Cambuslang

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Dechmont Firing Range, Cambuslang

Postby gap74 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:46 pm

Not sure if many people are familiar with this place, so thought I'd put a few pics up to enlighten you all!

Dechmont Firing Range is in the southest corner of the city, on the outskirts of Cambuslang. The targets themselves nestle up against the foot of Dechmont Hill, which rises steeply behind them to about 600ft.

The range has been there for as long as I can remember, and has been MOD land since at least WWII - my grandparents met when my grandfather was stationed at barracks there from his home county of Norfolk during the war.

The main building is a fairly dull, low modern thing, then there's a large open area where the ranges themselves are situated. Each target has a long earth and sand bank built up against a concrete wall, behind which is a walkway and the old pulley mechanisms for hoisting the targets up. At the end of the three target ranges is usually a target store. There are three sets of these banks with targets behind them, most of which seem to have fallen into disuse. The western target, however, looks like it may still be used, but with the targets stuck to the wooden number boards in front of the bank instead of on the rusting pulley mechanisms. The sand on the earth bank in front of this target looks better maintained than the others.

Elsewhere on the site, a smaller range seems to exist to the west of the three main targets, no bigger than a football pitch. The shooters would appear to sit in a low tin shelter, and the grass here looks to be regularly cut.

I'm not sure how much the range gets used these days, but I think only the TA and cadets use it. Access to the area is not restricted when shooting is not taking place, but obviously you should avoid just walking in the front door of the main building! There are plenty of stiles and gates from the fields to the east of the range! You'll know that access is forbidden by the presence of flags - various flagpoles are dotted around the site, and you should not venture beyond them when the flags are flying. The most prominent one is on top of Dechmont Hill itself.

Incidentally, I trawled the internet looking for any history of the place, but only really found a brief mention of it on a few MOD sites. I was interested to find mention of it in the Cullen Report into Dunblane, though. Seems Thomas Hamilton once had a bit of a practice there! Despite a few stray incidents where roving bullets had hit car doors in Blantyre and kitchen windows in East Kilbride, the safety of the site was never really questioned until Dunblane, after which it was closed for a few years.

Anyways, on with the pics...

The main building on the right, on the left is a low bank which I presume they shot from? The open area leading up to the targets used to have a few of these banks, but is now so overgrown I can't see if the others are still there!

A curious little structure about halfway along the eastern side of the open area, a broken vent at the side seems to show that it's full of rusting steel wagon wheels! Apologies for the intrusion of Max the dog...

Looking towards the main target now, with Dechmont Hill looming in the background. The main flagpole might just be visible here at the right side of the ridge, and the eastern-most set of targets can just be seen as a low bank at the foot of the hill.

Closer shot of the easern-most targets. The lack of sand on the bank makes me suspect these are no longer used.

The target store at the end of this bank. Most of the target stores look long out of use too, although they are still fairly secure. Plywood cladding on some of the walls is, I guess, additional protection from poorly aimed shots!

Sign on the wall of the target store in the middle of the three ranges - sounds painful!

The other side of this target store, showing the plywood cladding.

Behind the middle set of targets, the concrete wall abutting the earth bank is on the right, and the rusty target hoists are on the left.

Slightly different angle on the above

The targets themselves are all fairly long - this is only halfway along the middle set.

The door on this one had been gotten at, but those army issue padlocks did their job! And do the army really have to always use that typeface??

The western-most of the three main targets, and the one I think might still be used most, due to the sand being fairly intact.

View from the top of these targets, showing the profile of the bank. Darn dog gets in the way again!

Similar view from atop the middle of the three targets.

Close-up of one of the target number boards. It looks to me like they attach the targets to these themselves now, given that the hoists are rusted to buggery. The holes in the wood look to be very small calibre though.

View of the whole site from the summit of Dechmont Hill itself, showing the small range to the left, and the main building in the middle. The views from Dechmont are absolutely fantastic over Glasgow and much of the Clyde Valley, I think I even prefer it to Cathkin Braes doe to the easterly aspects. On the evening I took the pics, alas, the sun was low in the west, so my shots of the city came out largely too dark. Will venture up again earlier in the day to improve on them!

Finally, again from the summit of Dechmont, Gilbertfield Castle stands crumbling away in a field just to the west of the range. I'll get some better shots of this another day and post them also. It's an L-shaped tower house dating from, I think, 1607.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:49 pm

Thanks for the insight. Same as you, trawled around for some info, but never anything useful, which was always irritating as its not that far from me, but if you don't have a proper clue you could miss all the interesting bits. Maybe I'll get a wander round now.

Nice inclusion of Gilbertfied castle, but you left out my pet Gilbertfied ROC :)
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gus » Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:44 pm

Now we're talking. This is my neck-of-the-woods, about 10 mins walk from my doorstep. Many a day of my youth was spent enjoying the views from Dechmont Hill. Well worth a trip.

The main building is relatively new, as all the builings used to be wooden barracks.

As for current use, it is actually used quite regularly, at various times of the day. The sound of the gunfire actually travels quite far, and I've actually heard it even around 1.00am in the morning/night.

I'm led to believe it's not the army that uses it any more, but the Police!
Gus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:38 pm

Splendid pics Gap74 and great presentation 8) Nice one.
This is quality :D
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:06 pm

Yes, brilliant pictures and great commentary. Thanks. I didn't mind Max working his way into shot now and again!
I really want to go there, for the views over Glasgow.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:26 pm

Gap, great photos and insight ,I have noticed the range on the OS map and ment to pay it a visit before now. I sometimes hear rounds of fire from my house,not that far away,I had always thought that the gun fire was from the top of the Cathkin braes, Pheasant shooting?
What is the fencing like round it, is it easy to gain entry?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:35 pm

The main building itself has fairly high solid steel fencing around it, understandable if weapons are stored there.

The range itself, though, is no harder to access than a farmer's field, the usual waist high wire fences. The MOD appear never to have had any objection to access to the site, except when the flags are flying! Indeed, there's even gaps in the fences around it from neighbouring fields, and as you can see from the aerial shot I included, cows regularly roam the range itself!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:41 pm

Mid weeks your best bet. Weekends your liable to get a bullet in yer arse/bolloks/head. (depending on how you approach the range).

Gilbertfield castle is near so visit that as well.
Gap, have you been to the quarry in the same location?

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby gap74 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:02 pm

Do you mean the one in the woods? I went there once and found myself climbing a scarily steep, near vertical slope - never been back, although once the autumn comes and the vegetation dies down, I may well take the dog that way again!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:24 pm

Apollo - I was puzzled by your ROC comment, but having poked about the net a bit, I know exactly the place you mean, have always wondered if it was an installation of that kind! I was thrown cos it's more Turnlaw than Gilbertfield!

How is it inside, have the local youth managed to gain access and trash the place? Would be shame if they had!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:37 am

The names can be misleading as they tended to use the nearest post office, which can be a bit away.

The post was fine on my last visits, although not padlocked, the hatch is securely latched and needs a key to access. Its location in the corner of a field and below the level of the surrounding hedges (you simply can't see it from the road) means you either know where it is, or follow your GPS nose :D (or the phone lines and telegraph poles)

Its a luxury post :) with extra lights and a rope lift to get stuff in and out, but all the equipment has been removed and only the furniture remains.

Its also quite damp, but this is a good thing as there is a big plastic bag signed as ASBSTOS WASTE under the instrument table. I've no idea why its there (never seen one anywhere else, and am unaware of any asbestos construction in the post) or what's in it as I didn't have any sort of masks with me, so didn't disturb it.

See the pics by going to:

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/roc/search_roc.html

and entering gilbertfield in the first line.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:41 am

Thanks Apollo - it's been maybe about 10 years since I first spotted this and surmised that it might be some sort of underground bunker, now I know!

If you're ever heading up that way again with the T-bar key, gimme a shout...!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:42 am

I was going to go to Gilbertfield Post till I saw the Asbestos bag in Nick's pictures - he's fearless, I'm not! :P
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:45 am

Fear not, I can pinch safety masks from work! And hell, you gotta die from something, these poor buggers who were expected to man these posts and fetch the photographic plates from above ground would never have been spooked by a mere bag marked asbestos waste! Probably has empty bean cans in it...!

Fascinating stuff, nonetheless.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Dechmont Firing Range, Cambuslang

Postby mcinnesh » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:17 pm

Hey what great pictures. I used to live there as my dad worked as a range warden from 1984 up to 1997. Dechmont was my back garden.

It was great, we had no neighbours and could play music as loud as we wanted. There was the fun of the cows getting out the field now and again and we'd have to go help chase them back in.

Hazel Harrison
mcinnesh
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)