Elections - May 6-2010

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Elections - May 6-2010

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu May 06, 2010 1:07 pm

I'll be nipping out shortly too - I feel obliged to, really. I'm in the same boat as many others though: given the overwhelming majority for the incumbent party here, it's highly unlikely that my vote will make much difference.

I've only ever had one person get in who I voted for actually, and that was as a list MSP. Chuffed, so I was; every other time I'd have been as well making a paper plane out of the ballot paper. I'll do it anyway though. In fact, I'd like to think that even if I couldn't bring myself to vote for any candidate, I'd at least turn up and spoil my ballot.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby potatojunkie » Thu May 06, 2010 2:22 pm

Just discovered there's a BNP candidate standing in Glasgow North. Not impressed.

Also discovered that there's been an injunction landed on the media barring them from reporting on Phillipa Stroud, a Tory candidate an executive director of a major policy think-tank. She established a church that claims it can "cure" homosexuals and transgender individuals by "driving out demons". She's probably one of the main reasons why Cameron's been pushing in favour of a 20-week abortion limit. She can fuck right off.

There's an injunction preventing them from reporting on the injunction. Tories are buying this election.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Thu May 06, 2010 2:52 pm

potatojunkie,

That woman sounds like she would get on famously with Iris Robinson in Norn Iron.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jazza » Thu May 06, 2010 3:22 pm

potatojunkie wrote:Just discovered there's a BNP candidate standing in Glasgow North. Not impressed.

Also discovered that there's been an injunction landed on the media barring them from reporting on Phillipa Stroud, a Tory candidate an executive director of a major policy think-tank. She established a church that claims it can "cure" homosexuals and transgender individuals by "driving out demons". She's probably one of the main reasons why Cameron's been pushing in favour of a 20-week abortion limit. She can fuck right off.

There's an injunction preventing them from reporting on the injunction. Tories are buying this election.

yes.

this story broke on R5L late one night and i have not heard anything since.

I have voted, again i have a strong incumbent MP who seems to be well loved (rare?) so its pretty much irrelevent. The UK needs electoral reform so badly, I hope its the main request from the Lib Dems if they buddy up with Conservatives or Labour.
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby The Egg Man » Thu May 06, 2010 3:24 pm

potatojunkie wrote:Just discovered there's a BNP candidate standing in Glasgow North. Not impressed.

There's one in Glasgow Central too but he's kept a low profile.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu May 06, 2010 3:31 pm

Those super-injunctions are scandalous. Private Eye were having a go at the practice a while back, I recall, along with the English libel laws in general. The interwebs come to the rescue though: the original story's there on the Grauniad's site, and on the Pink Paper's (unsurprisingly).

Wondering - separate legal systems and all that, would there not have to be an interim interdict to separately enforce this kind of thing in Scotland? Would our judges be more reluctant to play along too?
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Dave » Thu May 06, 2010 6:55 pm

potatojunkie wrote:Just discovered there's a BNP candidate standing in Glasgow North.

There wasn't one in Kilmarnock & Loudoun. Mind you I am on the look out for a new job.... ::):
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bing Buzby » Thu May 06, 2010 7:05 pm

Just got out of the polling station and was met by a guy pishing through the fence. Not with his back to the crowd, 'full frontal' if you will. Loads of grannies and kiddies about but everybody was too embarrassed to pipe up, except me.

Always ready to employ sweary indignation at daytime displays of the boab in the street.
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu May 06, 2010 7:21 pm

Bing Buzby wrote:Always ready to employ sweary indignation at daytime displays of the boab in the street.

Quote of the month :D
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Salka » Thu May 06, 2010 7:32 pm

The Egg Man wrote:

And one in Glasgow South West too.
Salka
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Marcia » Thu May 06, 2010 7:38 pm

Salka wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:

And one in Glasgow South West too.

And also in plain Glasgow South (no West).

Glasgow South Burgh! Why "burgh"? :?
Marcia
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fossil » Thu May 06, 2010 7:51 pm

I just hope we get Mps that like tights and oranges
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu May 06, 2010 9:09 pm

The choice at my polling station:

Lab
Con
SNP
Lib Dem
UKIP

er, thats it.

FFS
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu May 06, 2010 9:15 pm

Scotland's undecided voters 2010

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu May 06, 2010 9:26 pm

Vinegar Tom wrote:The choice at my polling station:

Lab
Con
SNP
Lib Dem
UKIP

er, thats it.

FFS

We had the Pirate Party.

Apparently, only once since 1945 has a majority government been succeeded by a majority government of another party. We shall see.....
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)