Western SMT Bus Company

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Western SMT Bus Company

Postby applemaca » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:15 pm

RDR wrote:7 went to Mearnskirk
4 went to Ayr and onto Stranraer when on that route. Still a 4 running but on the Stagecoach West of Scotland service (who bought Western Scottish as it was by then)
2 went to Eagalesham, I think.


In the 60's I'm sure the 2 went to mearnskirk Hospital............but it might just have been the medication!
User avatar
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:18 pm

Re: Western SMT Bus Company

Postby yoker brian » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:40 am

Just searched the Glasgow Library online database for "Western SMT"

First two hits return info on items held by at the Mitchell (Reference Only - not for loan)
Click Here
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
User avatar
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1425
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: Im here, where are you?

Re: Western SMT Bus Company

Postby Chopper » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:43 pm

I used to get a "Red Bus" from Nitshill into the city during the sixties. I think it took off from Paisley to Nitshill through Thrnlibank, Orchard Park, Kilmarnock Road, Pollokshaws road and terminated on the Clyde st beside the Cutty Sark. Some of these buses had rows of seats on the upperdeck with only one aisle running down the right side window. Bugger to get off if you were trapped inside at the window.
Chopper
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:26 pm

Re: Western SMT Bus Company

Postby tomgallacher506 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:03 pm

Chopper wrote:I used to get a "Red Bus" from Nitshill into the city during the sixties. I think it took off from Paisley to Nitshill through Thrnlibank, Orchard Park, Kilmarnock Road, Pollokshaws road and terminated on the Clyde st beside the Cutty Sark. Some of these buses had rows of seats on the upperdeck with only one aisle running down the right side window. Bugger to get off if you were trapped inside at the window.


Ah the old side aisles. Great for having a kip when you were pissed and the bus was empty :D
tomgallacher506
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Western SMT Bus Company

Postby RDR » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Chopper wrote:I used to get a "Red Bus" from Nitshill into the city during the sixties. I think it took off from Paisley to Nitshill through Thrnlibank, Orchard Park, Kilmarnock Road, Pollokshaws road and terminated on the Clyde st beside the Cutty Sark. Some of these buses had rows of seats on the upperdeck with only one aisle running down the right side window. Bugger to get off if you were trapped inside at the window.


I think that would be a Bristol Lodekka.
As you say a nightmare when the bus was packed and you wanted to get off.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1640
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 pm
Location: Lanarkshire

Re: Western SMT Bus Company

Postby tombro » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:58 am

RDR,

I'm sure the lowline buses (those with a sidewalk on the top deck) of SMT services date back beyond that. I remember them on Red Buses from Clydebank to Glasgow (I think the Waterloo Street Depot) before I left Glasgow for Australia and that was in 1960. I also remember that, on the lower deck, there was a wide seat behind the driver's cabin that faced to the back of the bus. That would suggest they were not Bristol Lodekkas as I think those buses (made famous in 'On The Buses') did not come into service until the mid-sixties.

Tombro :)
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:36 am
Location: Central Western NSW

Re: Western SMT Bus Company

Postby RDR » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:21 pm

tombro wrote:RDR,

I'm sure the lowline buses (those with a sidewalk on the top deck) of SMT services date back beyond that. I remember them on Red Buses from Clydebank to Glasgow (I think the Waterloo Street Depot) before I left Glasgow for Australia and that was in 1960. I also remember that, on the lower deck, there was a wide seat behind the driver's cabin that faced to the back of the bus. That would suggest they were not Bristol Lodekkas as I think those buses (made famous in 'On The Buses') did not come into service until the mid-sixties.

Tombro :)

Lodekka's came into service in 1954, so it's very possible this was the bus you were on. A number of varients were produced but the benchseats you describe were typical of the type.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1640
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 pm
Location: Lanarkshire

Re: Western SMT Bus Company

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:11 am

tombro wrote:RDR,

I'm sure the lowline buses (those with a sidewalk on the top deck) of SMT services date back beyond that. I remember them on Red Buses from Clydebank to Glasgow (I think the Waterloo Street Depot) before I left Glasgow for Australia and that was in 1960. I also remember that, on the lower deck, there was a wide seat behind the driver's cabin that faced to the back of the bus. That would suggest they were not Bristol Lodekkas as I think those buses (made famous in 'On The Buses') did not come into service until the mid-sixties.

Tombro :)



Mutiny on the Buses on Now and every other day on ITV4.

Image
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
User avatar
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 6255
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Western SMT Bus Company

Postby tomgallacher506 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:57 am

RDR wrote:
tombro wrote:RDR,

I'm sure the lowline buses (those with a sidewalk on the top deck) of SMT services date back beyond that. I remember them on Red Buses from Clydebank to Glasgow (I think the Waterloo Street Depot) before I left Glasgow for Australia and that was in 1960. I also remember that, on the lower deck, there was a wide seat behind the driver's cabin that faced to the back of the bus. That would suggest they were not Bristol Lodekkas as I think those buses (made famous in 'On The Buses') did not come into service until the mid-sixties.

Tombro :)

Lodekka's came into service in 1954, so it's very possible this was the bus you were on. A number of varients were produced but the benchseats you describe were typical of the type.


The buses with the side aisle were Leyland Titan PD2's. They had to be made that way to keep the overall height of the bus down. If you were sitting in the lower deck on the offside you had to be careful when you stood up as the headroom was greatly reduced due to this feature. The Lodekka did what it said on the tin so no need for a sunken gangway. The bench seat facing the rear at the front of the lower deck was fitted to the Lodekka :D
tomgallacher506
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Western SMT Bus Company

Postby RDR » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:42 pm

tomgallacher506 wrote:
RDR wrote:
tombro wrote:RDR,

I'm sure the lowline buses (those with a sidewalk on the top deck) of SMT services date back beyond that. I remember them on Red Buses from Clydebank to Glasgow (I think the Waterloo Street Depot) before I left Glasgow for Australia and that was in 1960. I also remember that, on the lower deck, there was a wide seat behind the driver's cabin that faced to the back of the bus. That would suggest they were not Bristol Lodekkas as I think those buses (made famous in 'On The Buses') did not come into service until the mid-sixties.

Tombro :)

Lodekka's came into service in 1954, so it's very possible this was the bus you were on. A number of varients were produced but the benchseats you describe were typical of the type.


The buses with the side aisle were Leyland Titan PD2's. They had to be made that way to keep the overall height of the bus down. If you were sitting in the lower deck on the offside you had to be careful when you stood up as the headroom was greatly reduced due to this feature. The Lodekka did what it said on the tin so no need for a sunken gangway. The bench seat facing the rear at the front of the lower deck was fitted to the Lodekka :D


Yes that's correct. As you say the Lodekka's were introduced to try to get rid of that issue.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1640
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 pm
Location: Lanarkshire

Re: Western SMT Bus Company

Postby tombro » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:06 am

Thank you, RDR and tomgallacher !

I didn't realise the Lodekkas were that old but accept your correction. Now, if only I can find a source of good quality, colour photographs of Glasgow's buses of around 1960 (Corpy, Alexanders Blue Buses and SMT Red Buses), I'll be a really happy chappy !

Thanks, Tombro :)
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:36 am
Location: Central Western NSW

Re: Western SMT Bus Company

Postby yoker brian » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:44 am

tombro wrote:Thank you, RDR and tomgallacher !

I didn't realise the Lodekkas were that old but accept your correction. Now, if only I can find a source of good quality, colour photographs of Glasgow's buses of around 1960 (Corpy, Alexanders Blue Buses and SMT Red Buses), I'll be a really happy chappy !

Thanks, Tombro :)


Tombro - plenty of pictures in this book The Streets of Glasgow
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
User avatar
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1425
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: Im here, where are you?

Re: Western SMT Bus Company

Postby JIM-G » Sun May 16, 2010 7:14 am

ROUTE SERVICES,THORNLIEBANK\MEARNS DEPOT, 1 EAGLESHAM-GLASGOW, 2 MEARNSKIRK HOSPITAL-GLASGOW, 4 AYR VIA KILMARNOCK-GLASGOW, 7 NEWTON MEARNS VIA HARVEY AVE-GLASGOW, 8 PAISLEY VIA ORCHARD PARK-GLASGOW, 10 NEILSTON CRAIG RD-GLASGOW, 11 NEILSTON VIA DARNLEY(EXPRESS)-GLASGOW,12 CLARKSTON TOLL VIA POLLOK-PAISLEY (CALEDONIA ST), 14 AYR VIA TROON AND KILMARNOCK-GLASGOW, 15 ARDROSSAN (CHAPLEHILL MOUNT)-GLASGOW, 36 ARDROSSAN (CHAP MOUNT) VIA IRVINE TO KILMARNOCK-ARDROSSAN.

THESE ROUTES WERE OPERATED BY THE WESTERN SMT,MORE SERVICES WERE ADDED AND REMOVED WHEN THE COMPANY CHANGED HANDS TO CLYDESIDE.
JIM-G
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 7:00 am

Re: Western SMT Bus Company

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun May 16, 2010 7:19 am

JIM-G wrote:ROUTE SERVICES,THORNLIEBANK\MEARNS DEPOT,
1 EAGLESHAM-GLASGOW,
2 MEARNSKIRK HOSPITAL-GLASGOW,
4 AYR VIA KILMARNOCK-GLASGOW,
7 NEWTON MEARNS VIA HARVEY AVE-GLASGOW,
8 PAISLEY VIA ORCHARD PARK-GLASGOW,
10 NEILSTON CRAIG RD-GLASGOW,
11 NEILSTON VIA DARNLEY(EXPRESS)-GLASGOW,
12 CLARKSTON TOLL VIA POLLOK-PAISLEY (CALEDONIA ST),
14 AYR VIA TROON AND KILMARNOCK-GLASGOW,
15 ARDROSSAN (CHAPLEHILL MOUNT)-GLASGOW,
36 ARDROSSAN (CHAP MOUNT) VIA IRVINE TO KILMARNOCK-ARDROSSAN.

THESE ROUTES WERE OPERATED BY THE WESTERN SMT,MORE SERVICES WERE ADDED AND REMOVED WHEN THE COMPANY CHANGED HANDS TO CLYDESIDE.



Jim thanks for the info but it's a hard read for the auld yins when it's typed in all
BLOCK CAPITALS and not
Line Spaced.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
User avatar
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 6255
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Western SMT Bus Company

Postby JIM-G » Sun May 16, 2010 7:26 am

Typed as it was displayed on the bus destination screens,

Cheers,

Jim.
JIM-G
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 7:00 am

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests