Western SMT Bus Company

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Western SMT Bus Company

Postby the researcher » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:56 pm

i was admitted to nitshill hospital for an ear op when i was wee probably five or six and remember going on an smt bus to the hospital but cant remember which direction it went in or the bus route number
although i lived in fife this is the hospital my doctor referred me to for the op(to pin back my ears) all i can remember is my mum and granny took me on the bus there and that i was in for about a week then had to go back to get the stitches out
this would have been in 1963 or 64
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:07 pm

the researcher wrote:i was admitted to nitshill hospital for an ear op when i was wee probably five or six and remember going on an smt bus to the hospital but cant remember which direction it went in or the bus route number
although i lived in fife this is the hospital my doctor referred me to for the op(to pin back my ears) all i can remember is my mum and granny took me on the bus there and that i was in for about a week then had to go back to get the stitches out
this would have been in 1963 or 64

Are you sure it wasn't Darnley Hospital you were in?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:31 pm

yeah it could have been darnley hospital trouble is its that long ago i cant remember the name of the hospital and just guessed that it was nitshill hospital
the op i had was to pin back my ears which stuck out like jug handles (like martin clunes ears) i think the skin behind the ears were cut then stitched in closer to my head i remember having to go back about a week later to get the stitches removed and photos being taken out(i think the surgeon wrote a book about plastic surgery or something)
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:43 am

the researcher wrote:yeah it could have been darnley hospital trouble is its that long ago i cant remember the name of the hospital and just guessed that it was nitshill hospital
the op i had was to pin back my ears which stuck out like jug handles (like martin clunes ears) i think the skin behind the ears were cut then stitched in closer to my head i remember having to go back about a week later to get the stitches removed and photos being taken out(i think the surgeon wrote a book about plastic surgery or something)

It was Darnley, right beside Nitshill so easy to be confused.
The old Darnley Hospital is now gone and a nursing home was built on the site.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave76er » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:03 pm

I live about a 5 minute walk from The Avenue Shopping Centre in Newton Mearns. I remember when I was growing up that after Newton Mearns Depot closed there were 2 Termini for Western SMT's 2 service at Mearnskirk Hospital and at Fairweather Place in the Netherplace housing scheme.

Here is the Fairweather Place Terminus as it is today, still used by SPT bus as the Terminus for their subsidised 375 service: Newton Mearns - Silverburn.

And the map of the area, I've marked the locations of the Newton Mearns Depot and the Fairweather Place terminus:

50 Years of Glasgow Electrics South Bank services 1962-2012
dave76er
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby RDR » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:06 pm

Dave,
not so sure about your numbers.
The 7 and 7a came up Ayr Road.
The 7 to the Mearns and the 7a to Mearnskirk, where it had a turn round and terminus.
Only the 7, therefore went to Fairweather Place, which you picture.
The 2 came up Old Mearns Road and went to the same terminus as the 7a at Mearnskirk. it would never have gone near the Fairweather Place terminus.
When the main Mearnskirk hospital site was closed and the site sold off, the 7a and 2 were withdrawn, leaving the 7 until Stagecoach & First to a lesser extent came along and the rest is history.
Interstingly the 4 (Ayr) used to occasionally stop in the Mearns depot to refuel when it was open. Used to cause consternation to the passengers when it did that and turned right at the x instead of going straight on.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave76er » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:10 pm

You're right about the 7 & 7A used Fairweather Place but some 2's did go to Mearns Cross, after the deregulation and competing with the corporation's 44A, Do you remember the 66C? It was just the George Square-Clarkston Toll 66 but extended to Harvie Avenue. I miss the 2 and 7 but mainly the 2 because I hate the 44A & 44 going through Spean Street & Sinclair Drive as I grew up just next to Old Mearns Road.
dave76er
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby busdriver » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:05 pm

I remember driving dirty great huge Volvo Ailsa Double-Deckers down Fairweather Place, I can only imagine the racket must have acted as an early morning alarm for the residents, you could see the lights going on as you went down the street. As for the 44 going down sinclair drive, this route used to be shared with Knightswood Depot and they threatened to (ahem) break down frequently if it wasnt wholly driven by larkfield. If ever there were any events on at Hampden the road became impassable and knocking off time at scottish power was just a nightmare.
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:44 pm

dave76er wrote:You're right about the 7 & 7A used Fairweather Place but some 2's did go to Mearns Cross, after the deregulation and competing with the corporation's 44A, Do you remember the 66C? It was just the George Square-Clarkston Toll 66 but extended to Harvie Avenue. I miss the 2 and 7 but mainly the 2 because I hate the 44A & 44 going through Spean Street & Sinclair Drive as I grew up just next to Old Mearns Road.

Deregulation came after my time of using those buses so in my day it was Western SMT or nowt as they would say.
There weren't any buses along Harvie Avenue (or Spam Valley as it was known locally) until dergulation came in.
By that time I was on the south side of Glasgow and can remember seeing the various extensions to what had been before corpy routes.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:47 pm

busdriver wrote:I remember driving dirty great huge Volvo Ailsa Double-Deckers down Fairweather Place, I can only imagine the racket must have acted as an early morning alarm for the residents, you could see the lights going on as you went down the street. As for the 44 going down sinclair drive, this route used to be shared with Knightswood Depot and they threatened to (ahem) break down frequently if it wasnt wholly driven by larkfield. If ever there were any events on at Hampden the road became impassable and knocking off time at scottish power was just a nightmare.

Since a lot of the houses in Fairweather place are sheltered ones, think of all the poor OAPs you woke up!
Sinclair Drive is a nightmare full stop. You think taking a bus down there is bad you should try taking an ambulance at full tilt with blues and two tones on.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave76er » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:36 pm

RDR wrote:
busdriver wrote:I remember driving dirty great huge Volvo Ailsa Double-Deckers down Fairweather Place, I can only imagine the racket must have acted as an early morning alarm for the residents, you could see the lights going on as you went down the street. As for the 44 going down sinclair drive, this route used to be shared with Knightswood Depot and they threatened to (ahem) break down frequently if it wasnt wholly driven by larkfield. If ever there were any events on at Hampden the road became impassable and knocking off time at scottish power was just a nightmare.

Since a lot of the houses in Fairweather place are sheltered ones, think of all the poor OAPs you woke up!
Sinclair Drive is a nightmare full stop. You think taking a bus down there is bad you should try taking an ambulance at full tilt with blues and two tones on.

No wonder I prefered the 1 & 2 back then because it went by the junction at Holmlea Road & Battlefield Road. During the 2 and 44A competition I wouldn't touch the 44A with a bargepole. Wouldn't mind if Arriva or McGill's made a claim in East Renfewshire rather than Mickey Mouse operations like City Sprinter. By the way where was the 1 terminus in Eaglesham is it the same place the 44 uses?
dave76er
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby busdriver » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:18 am

dave76er wrote: By the way where was the 1 terminus in Eaglesham is it the same place the 44 uses?

Strathavan Road, after Hill Drive. The only different thing about the GCT service 1(Comlaw 313 ltd) was that the route did not include the loop fare stage between Polnoon Street and Eaglesham road that the 44 takes.
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby deebee » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:01 pm

thought i would add to the string. i drove with central smt out of gavinburn garage and the bristol lodekkas with front entry automatic doors all had fleet numbers beginning with BL (bl332,333,334,345,346(presumably for bristol lodekka) and their registration numbers ended with the suffix "E" pointing to them being first registered in 1967 whereas the bristol with the rear entry and long bench seat immediately behind the driver was simply suffixed as a B(b94,95,96,99,100,101,102,103,104,) in the fleet number see http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j& ... 7510603598 althugh not a gavinburn destination screen in this picture
deebee
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)