Western SMT Bus Company

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Western SMT Bus Company

Postby the researcher » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:17 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
tombro wrote:RDR,

I'm sure the lowline buses (those with a sidewalk on the top deck) of SMT services date back beyond that. I remember them on Red Buses from Clydebank to Glasgow (I think the Waterloo Street Depot) before I left Glasgow for Australia and that was in 1960. I also remember that, on the lower deck, there was a wide seat behind the driver's cabin that faced to the back of the bus. That would suggest they were not Bristol Lodekkas as I think those buses (made famous in 'On The Buses') did not come into service until the mid-sixties.

Tombro :)

Mutiny on the Buses on Now and every other day on ITV4.

the bus in mutiny on the buses was a bristol but it isnt a lodekka the film holiday on the buses features an open top lodekka which stan and jack were employed by the holiday camp to crew if you look on the scottish vintage bus museum website there are several photos of the bristol lodekka which was originally an alexanders bus used in kirkcaldy ive been on it during the open weekend and it doesnt have a single aisle on the top deck
stagecoach bought several lodekkas so that they could run buses across to edinburgh as it has doors which can be closed over the rear entrance which was required so that they could use the forth road bridge
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:11 am

Here is one turning in to Dunkenny Road, Drumchapel in the late 60's early 70's

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:44 pm

I know I shouldn't interfere with the transport postings
And I'm being pedantic
but it's a Central, not Western SMT bus............... :roll:
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:06 am

What's a Central bus doing in Drumchapel? Was that not Alexanders' territory?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tombro » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:59 am

I've seen that pic somewhere before and agree with Robert's assertion that it is turning into Dunkenny Road from the lower end of Achamore Road. It most probably started its journey from Peel Glen Road and is heading to Clydebank via Kilbowie Road.

Guacho, as for the differentiation between Western and Central SMT, I think Western SMT served mainly the area towards Saltcoats and Ayr while Central served the areas closer (or central) to Glasgow itself, eg Helensburgh and Balloch.

Dex, 'theDrum' sure was Alexanders' territory in the late 1950's with the 'Blue Buses', their buses providing competition for the Corporation Buses Nos 9 and 20. Alexanders provided a circular service, both ways, around Kinfauns Drive and via Maxwells Avenue and Anniesland back to Renfrew Street.

Yoker Brian, if you're still out there, I've just ordered my copy of 'Streets Of Glasgow' from Amazon. I wish I'd done so earlier though as my copy cost me over AU$100. It's a hardback copy and I'm sure I'll thoroughly enjoy it, though !

Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:46 pm

tombro wrote:Yoker Brian, if you're still out there, I've just ordered my copy of 'Streets Of Glasgow' from Amazon. I wish I'd done so earlier though as my copy cost me over AU$100. It's a hardback copy and I'm sure I'll thoroughly enjoy it, though !

If I had known that I could have sent my copy out to Oz via my cousin who's over on a gap year - he could have posted it to you and saved you some money!
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:09 pm

tombro wrote:I've seen that pic somewhere before and agree with Robert's assertion that it is turning into Dunkenny Road from the lower end of Achamore Road. It most probably started its journey from Peel Glen Road and is heading to Clydebank via Kilbowie Road.

Guacho, as for the differentiation between Western and Central SMT, I think Western SMT served mainly the area towards Saltcoats and Ayr while Central served the areas closer (or central) to Glasgow itself, eg Helensburgh and Balloch.Dex, 'theDrum' sure was Alexanders' territory in the late 1950's with the 'Blue Buses', their buses providing competition for the Corporation Buses Nos 9 and 20. Alexanders provided a circular service, both ways, around Kinfauns Drive and via Maxwells Avenue and Anniesland back to Renfrew Street.

Yoker Brian, if you're still out there, I've just ordered my copy of 'Streets Of Glasgow' from Amazon. I wish I'd done so earlier though as my copy cost me over AU$100. It's a hardback copy and I'm sure I'll thoroughly enjoy it, though !

Western's SMT routes were all out through the Southside of Glasgow, Renfrewshire and Ayrshire.
Central SMT, was more Lanarkshire and Dunbartonshire.
Both ran into the city centre, at one time to Waterloo Street Bus Station.
Both occasionally strayed into each other's areas.
Central had a route to Muirkirk in Ayrshire and Western to Motherwell in Lanarkshire for example.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:50 pm

It's only because its says 'Central' on the side.......

Explanation would seem to lie in the route map here http://www.centralsmt.co.uk/Routes/Territory.html
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tombro » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:45 am

RDR,

I remember catching SMT buses many times from Clydebank into Waterloo Street Bus Station. I think, because of the regulations in place at the time, those buses which came from Helensburgh or Balloch could only pick up passengers in Clydebank and deliver them to the Waterloo Street Bus Station.

I think the SMT bus from Clydebank to Drumchapel may only have been an offshoot service to provide that particular connection.

Tombro
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tombro » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:47 am

Thanks Brian, but I still think I'm going to enjoy my on little copy Q

tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:58 pm

tombro wrote:RDR,

I remember catching SMT buses many times from Clydebank into Waterloo Street Bus Station. I think, because of the regulations in place at the time, those buses which came from Helensburgh or Balloch could only pick up passengers in Clydebank and deliver them to the Waterloo Street Bus Station.

I think the SMT bus from Clydebank to Drumchapel may only have been an offshoot service to provide that particular connection.

Tombro

May have been.
There were some strange regulations then.
Western SMT buses going out via the Southside, could pick up but couldn't let passengers off till they reached Merrylee, the city boundary.
Equally Western SMT coming into the city, once past the city boundary, could let down but couldn't pick up.
Anyone shed any light on why that was?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:44 pm

Only Glasgow Corporation Transport were licensed to pick up passengers and drop them off inside the city boundary. Buses heading, for instance to Clydebank, could pick up in the city - after all, it would have been crazy for people to have to get a Glasgow bus to the boundary and then another bus to Clydebank. The same Clydebank bus could drop off in the city on it's way to the terminus, but was not licensed to pick up in the city when city bound.
You still get the same with taxis, only licensed Glasgow taxis can work ranks or pick up in the street inside the city boundary.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:20 pm

hungryjoe wrote:Only Glasgow Corporation Transport were licensed to pick up passengers and drop them off inside the city boundary. Buses heading, for instance to Clydebank, could pick up in the city - after all, it would have been crazy for people to have to get a Glasgow bus to the boundary and then another bus to Clydebank. The same Clydebank bus could drop off in the city on it's way to the terminus, but was not licensed to pick up in the city when city bound.
You still get the same with taxis, only licensed Glasgow taxis can work ranks or pick up in the street inside the city boundary.

So that is where the taxi boundary charge comes from?
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:26 pm

RDR wrote:
hungryjoe wrote:Only Glasgow Corporation Transport were licensed to pick up passengers and drop them off inside the city boundary. Buses heading, for instance to Clydebank, could pick up in the city - after all, it would have been crazy for people to have to get a Glasgow bus to the boundary and then another bus to Clydebank. The same Clydebank bus could drop off in the city on it's way to the terminus, but was not licensed to pick up in the city when city bound.

Yes. It's not every local authority which allows boundary charges. I remember when I had a girlfriend from Paisley, I couldn't get a Paisley taxi to take me to Springburn, I had to get a taxi to the boundary then start walking 'til I saw a Glasgow cab.
I had an East Ayrshire Taxi and we weren't allowed to levy a boundary charge.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:04 pm

hungryjoe wrote:
RDR wrote:

Yes. It's not every local authority which allows boundary charges. I remember when I had a girlfriend from Paisley, I couldn't get a Paisley taxi to take me to Springburn, I had to get a taxi to the boundary then start walking 'til I saw a Glasgow cab.
I had an East Ayrshire Taxi and we weren't allowed to levy a boundary charge.

I can understand why they applied to the buses.
I presume to protect the then corporation buses from competition, but why for taxis?
Simply a way to make more money or to discourage you taking a taxi outside the city boundary and making it unavailable for a longer time?
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)