Whats going on here

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Whats going on here

Postby 2HB » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:28 am

On Josefs Fairs Cup info,did anyone else attend the Queens silver jubilee game at Hampden in 1977 ,made up of a selection of Glasgow teams agains an English select? played with a silver ball as well which was handy given that it was a scorching day thus rendering the ball invisible from the middle of the terracing when it went skyward.Ok back on topic ,move along nowt to see here...................
2HB
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:22 am

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby 2HB » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:56 pm

Nice one Robert.I had on my Sex Pistols God Save The Queen t-shirt to commemorate the great day.Which in the Rangers end either made me the bravest man in Glasgow or the stupidest.Great idea this match except someone forgot that all the fans would be quite openly mingling on the terracing.Add the Lanliq,the blazing heat and the general hatred it made for quite an afternoon.
2HB
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jenny Geddes » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Can you remember what strip was worn by the Glasgow team, I also remember a match in the 70s where the Scottish League played the English League at hampden, the match was such a bore that the Scots support seperated into the respective tribal ranks, and bother ensued.
Beware of flying stools.
Jenny Geddes
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby 2HB » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:20 pm

Wasn't the strip made up of all the clubs various colours? pretty sure it was.
2HB
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jenny Geddes » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:27 pm

Yuck, Black blue white red green yellow.
Beware of flying stools.
Jenny Geddes
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:47 pm

jenny,the match that you are talking about when there was indeed a bit of bother WAS the silver jubilee match.the supporters were pretty much united as a lot of folk were at the match with their friends even though on a saturday they followed different teams.it all kicked off a wee bit when a section of the crowd joined in with national anthem therfore alienating themselves from everyone else.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby 2HB » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Lets face it it was always on the cards.
2HB
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lostcause » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:37 am

Jenny Geddes wrote:Can you remember what strip was worn by the Glasgow team, I also remember a match in the 70s where the Scottish League played the English League at hampden, the match was such a bore that the Scots support seperated into the respective tribal ranks, and bother ensued.

this is the shirt here

The match was played at Hampden on 17th May, with a crowd of about 30k, including the queen, with the Glasgow side winning 2-1 - Dalglish scored the winner.

The shirt has the colours of all the glasgow sides, celtic, rangers, queens park, partick thistle and clyde.
The shorts being Red with a yellow side panel and black and white socks.

The Glasgow FA team was: Rough (Partick), McGrain (Celtic), Whittaker (Partick), Jardine (Rangers), McDonald (Celtic), Forsyth (Rangers), McLean (Rangers) - sub McNaughton (Queen's Park), Dalglish (Celtic), Craig (Celtic), MacDonald (Rangers), Johnstone (Rangers) - sub Somner (Partick)

Football League side was: Corrigan (Man City), Clements (Man City), Peach (Southampton), Stanley (Chelsea), Watson (Man City), Wilkins (Chelsea), Francis (Birmingham), Channon (Southampton), Royle (Man City), -sub Barnes (Man City), Owen (Man City), Tueart (Man City)

the squads were managed by the managers of the England and Scotland at the time Don Revie and Willie Ormond and this game was Ormond 's last duty as manager prior to Ally Macleod assuming control of the national team.

Tueart scored the opening goal for the english, with jardine then dalglish scoring for glasgow.

no man utd or liverpool players as they had the fa cup final coming up.
lostcause
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Jenny Geddes » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:52 am

Thank You lostcause. It looks awful.
Beware of flying stools.
Jenny Geddes
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby 2HB » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:54 am

It was a poor strip indeed,then again..........

http://photos1.blogger.com/photoInclude ... n-kits.jpg
2HB
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:51 am

banjo wrote:jenny,the match that you are talking about when there was indeed a bit of bother WAS the silver jubilee match.the supporters were pretty much united as a lot of folk were at the match with their friends even though on a saturday they followed different teams.it all kicked off a wee bit when a section of the crowd joined in with national anthem therfore alienating themselves from everyone else.

Actually, no. There may well have been a bit of bother at the SJ match too, but jenny is right.

I (and about 5000 other folk, if I remember rightly) were at the Scottish League v English League game. I think it was 1-0 to England, but the game was extraordinarily boring. The Rangers end divided into Old Firm halves and commenced making their own entertainment.

Might also have been Joe Wark's only cap too.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:13 pm

thats wee ian wallace in that horrible coventry strip there ,when he had hair.a one time neighbour of mine when his career took off so did he. ::): a good wee guy who can honestly say been there,done it ,wore the t shirt.still see him about.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jenny Geddes » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:07 pm

Josef wrote:
banjo wrote:jenny,the match that you are talking about when there was indeed a bit of bother WAS the silver jubilee match.the supporters were pretty much united as a lot of folk were at the match with their friends even though on a saturday they followed different teams.it all kicked off a wee bit when a section of the crowd joined in with national anthem therfore alienating themselves from everyone else.

Actually, no. There may well have been a bit of bother at the SJ match too, but jenny is right.

I (and about 5000 other folk, if I remember rightly) were at the Scottish League v English League game. I think it was 1-0 to England, but the game was extraordinarily boring. The Rangers end divided into Old Firm halves and commenced making their own entertainment.

Might also have been Joe Wark's only cap too.

Yes Josef that is my recollection too.
Beware of flying stools.
Jenny Geddes
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)