Saw a pair of goosanders on the Kelvin, today.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Saw a pair of goosanders on the Kelvin, today.

Postby yonza bam » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:08 pm

I walkled the Kelvin walkway from Kelvinbridge to the Botanics today and spied them diving for fish a few yards downstream from the wee bridge just past Queen Margaret Drive that takes you up to the Botanics.

They only feed on fish, so they're a good indicator of the state of the river, unless they'd just arrived and were checking it out.

They're a member of the merganser family, aka 'sawbills' as they have serrated beaks to hold on to their prey. They're the only fish eating birds to have evolved 'teeth'.

There's a video of a pair on this RSPB link


http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdgui ... index.aspx
yonza bam
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:51 pm

Re: Saw a pair of goosanders on the Kelvin, today.

Postby Dave » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:26 pm

Have you some pictures of your own for us to see?
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2779
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:24 am
Location: Uzbekistan

Re: Saw a pair of goosanders on the Kelvin, today.

Postby yonza bam » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:39 am

Dave wrote:Have you some pictures of your own for us to see?



Nah. I'm not much into photography and didn't have a camera with me. They're big birds, bigger than a mallard, but it would need to be a good camera to take a decent photo of them in the middle of the Kelvin.

I've seen a flock of them on the Clyde where it runs past the Baron's Haugh nature reserve at Motherwell. They seem to be getting more common in these parts as water quality improves.

I wish I had brought a camera when I got into the Botanics, though. There was an incredibly tame squirrel running up the legs of people sitting on a bench. One guy was feeding it monkey nuts and it was scurrying away with them to bury them for later. Next time I'm in, I'll have some monkey nuts and a camera, although I wouldn't be surprised if some homeless illegal immigrant decides to make a kebab out of it. :D
yonza bam
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:51 pm

Re: Saw a pair of goosanders on the Kelvin, today.

Postby potatojunkie » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:07 am

All they ever think about, those ethnics.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
User avatar
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:49 am
Location: St. George's Cross

Re: Saw a pair of goosanders on the Kelvin, today.

Postby munroman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:30 am

potatojunkie wrote:All they ever think about, those ethnics.


I can hardly sleep at night worrying about the safety of our small tame mammals being eating by the ethnics, especially if they've been caught by the nuts first!
User avatar
munroman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:53 pm

Re: Saw a pair of goosanders on the Kelvin, today.

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:03 pm

munroman wrote:
potatojunkie wrote:All they ever think about, those ethnics.


I can hardly sleep at night worrying about the safety of our small tame mammals being eating by the ethnics, especially if they've been caught by the nuts first!

Image
Caught by immigrant Englishwoman with nuts.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 4232
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:03 pm

Re: Saw a pair of goosanders on the Kelvin, today.

Postby munroman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:11 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:
munroman wrote:
potatojunkie wrote:All they ever think about, those ethnics.


I can hardly sleep at night worrying about the safety of our small tame mammals being eating by the ethnics, especially if they've been caught by the nuts first!

Image
Caught by immigrant Englishwoman with nuts.


I can clearly see its nuts!

(So its true, immigrants are actually catching our small mammals with nuts, I thought the original comment was a little 'off', but apparently its really happening- more sleepless nights!)
User avatar
munroman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:53 pm

Re: Saw a pair of goosanders on the Kelvin, today.

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:18 pm

This was the bastard responsible for the massacre of the teddies in the oddities thread. They're not as cute as you think.

Just wait 'til Big Ted gets home from the pub...

Image
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 4232
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:03 pm

Re: Saw a pair of goosanders on the Kelvin, today.

Postby yonza bam » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:58 pm

Come to think of it, I haven't seen a swan for ages . . . .


http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/arti ... -europe.do
yonza bam
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:51 pm

Re: Saw a pair of goosanders on the Kelvin, today.

Postby Sunflower » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:58 pm

yonza bam wrote:
Dave wrote:Have you some pictures of your own for us to see?

........ it would need to be a good camera to take a decent photo of them in the middle of the Kelvin.

How true :roll:
Image
(2 March 2010 from the bridge at the Botanic Gardens entrance (near the loos) - there were three pairs, very elegant looking birds - the one on the left is the boy)
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:55 am
Location: almost in sight of mended bridge

Re: Saw a pair of goosanders on the Kelvin, today.

Postby yonza bam » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:16 pm

Sunflower wrote:
yonza bam wrote:
Dave wrote:Have you some pictures of your own for us to see?

........ it would need to be a good camera to take a decent photo of them in the middle of the Kelvin.

How true :roll:
Image
(2 March 2010 from the bridge at the Botanic Gardens entrance (near the loos) - there were three pairs, very elegant looking birds - the one on the left is the boy)



That's just uncanny! You'll be showing us a photo of the squirrel in the Botanics on yer knee, next!
yonza bam
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:51 pm

Re: Saw a pair of goosanders on the Kelvin, today.

Postby thegazman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:53 am

lets get those homeless illegal immigrants
Image
FREE THE SQUIRRELS
I've got a little black book with my poems in...
User avatar
thegazman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:23 am
Location: the sou'side

Re: Saw a pair of goosanders on the Kelvin, today.

Postby Glasgogirl » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:47 am

yonza bam wrote:
Sunflower wrote:
yonza bam wrote:
Dave wrote:Have you some pictures of your own for us to see?

........ it would need to be a good camera to take a decent photo of them in the middle of the Kelvin.

How true :roll:
Image
(2 March 2010 from the bridge at the Botanic Gardens entrance (near the loos) - there were three pairs, very elegant looking birds - the one on the left is the boy)



That's just uncanny! You'll be showing us a photo of the squirrel in the Botanics on yer knee, next!



a hahahaha.... that was out loud kinda funny, and yes, ppl here do seem to get about the place with the camera's eh?
User avatar
Glasgogirl
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:35 am

Re: Saw a pair of goosanders on the Kelvin, today.

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:27 am

Glasgogirl wrote:ppl here do seem to get about the place with the camera's eh?


Isn't that the point generally?
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2779
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:24 am
Location: Uzbekistan

Re: Saw a pair of goosanders on the Kelvin, today.

Postby Glasgogirl » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:32 am

Dave wrote:
Glasgogirl wrote:ppl here do seem to get about the place with the camera's eh?


Isn't that the point generally?


yes of course, I'm sure that is the point, but still.. it's amusing just how quickly ppl here can produce evidence of things that others are speaking of... in this case animals (and they move about, making it, as he said... uncanny!)
User avatar
Glasgogirl
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:35 am

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests