Buses Today

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Buses Today

Postby busdriver » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:14 pm

mjw wrote: Unsure why some are bringing asylum seekers into this, do they get free travel?

The short answer is yes, but not simply because they are asylum seekers. To qualify you must be resident in Scotland, and aged 60 years or over. If on grounds of disability you must be of fare paying age (5 years and over) and meet certain other criteria relevant to their disability. The 'Transport Scotland' website gives information on qualifying conditions.

Link
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:42 pm

busdriver wrote:
mjw wrote: Unsure why some are bringing asylum seekers into this, do they get free travel?

The short answer is yes, but not simply because they are asylum seekers. To qualify you must be resident in Scotland, and aged 60 years or over. If on grounds of disability you must be of fare paying age (5 years and over) and meet certain other criteria relevant to their disability. The 'Transport Scotland' website gives information on qualifying conditions.

Link

I would presume the disability definition will fall into the protected characteristics defined in the equality act (2010).
That would also cover them from discrimination of any sort, asylum seekers or not, as transport is a service covered under that act.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby busdriver » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:27 pm

RDR wrote:
busdriver wrote:

Link

I would presume the disability definition will fall into the protected characteristics defined in the equality act (2010).
That would also cover them from discrimination of any sort, asylum seekers or not, as transport is a service covered under that act.

The definition of ‘disability’ under the Equality Act 2010
"In the Act, a person has a disability if:
    they have a physical or mental impairment
    the impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to perform normal day-to-day activities
For the purposes of the Act, these words have the following meanings:
    'substantial' means more than minor or trivial
    'long-term' means that the effect of the impairment has lasted or is likely to last for at least twelve months (there are special rules covering recurring or fluctuating conditions)
    'normal day-to-day activities' include everyday things like eating, washing, walking and going shopping

People who have had a disability in the past that meets this definition are also protected by the Act.

Progressive conditions considered to be a disability:
There are additional provisions relating to people with progressive conditions. People with HIV, cancer or multiple sclerosis are protected by the Act from the point of diagnosis. People with some visual impairments are automatically deemed to be disabled.

Conditions that are specifically excluded:
Some conditions are specifically excluded from being covered by the disability definition, such as a tendency to set fires or addictions to non–prescribed substances."

As you say "Asylum Seekers or not" if claimants fall within the qualifying conditions they will come within the scope of the regulations and be issued a concession card.

Equality Act 2010
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:59 pm

RDR wrote:
busdriver wrote:

Link

The qualifying test(s) for a National Entitlement Card (aka Muppet Pass) are

"Disabled People
Eligible disabled people of fare paying age (aged 5 and over) who meet the criteria also qualify for a National Entitlement Card to access Scotland -Wide Free Bus Travel. Click on the relevant link (below) for information on the categories which may apply to you. This will give you information on what you need to bring with you when you apply.

I receive the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
I receive the higher/middle rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance
I receive Attendance Allowance
I live in a care or residential home or hospital and require 24 hour supervision
I hold a Disabled Persons Parking Badge (Blue Badge)
I am profoundly or severely deaf
I have been told not to drive on medical grounds
I suffer from a mental illness, learning disability or personality disorder
I am terminally ill
I suffer from a progressively degenerative disorder
I have suffered a loss of limbs
I am visually impaired
I am a seriously injured veteran with mobility problems "
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:18 pm

The point is that they can make what rules they like, try to exclude who they like but if they are guilty by applying those rules of discriminating against anyone who has one of those protected characteristics or even someone who is a carer of someone in that group and who by their rules results in indirect discrimination to that person then they will be guilty of an offence and could face legal action.
They will need to EQIA the rules and make any adjustments necessary in the light of that.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Today's Herald http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/tran ... -1.1116475 seems to suggest that smartcards are cutting fraud.

I've been on two buses today. I got on a 9 across from the Lorne Hotel going to Jamaica Street. My ticket says I got on at Drumchapel Cen (centre?) I've never been in Drumchapel in my life.

I took a 62 from Jamaica Street to Radnor Street on the way back. My ticket says I got on at Whitevale Street. I don't even know where Whitevale Street is.

Is First Bus making a killing out of making journeys look longer than they are?

I'm not even going to mention the Big Brother aspect of there now being an audit trail suggesting I've been somewhere I've not.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:49 pm

I think the ticket machines used by First now use GPS to locate where they are - hence why they wouldn't operate properly a month or so ago when their systems went down.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Buses Today - number 9 service changes

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:49 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:I've just a conversation with a lovely lady from First Bus who was trying to justify changes to the number 9 route between Kelvingrove and Renfield Street from Sunday 12thSept 2010.

Instead of Argyle Street/ St Vincent St/ Blythswood Sq/ Renfield Street the route will be Sauchiehall Street/ Renfrew Street/ Renfield Street in order to serve the 'top end of the town'. Don't lots of buses passing Kelvingrove do this already or at least via West Regent Street?

There's also to be part routes to and from Charing Cross with a drivers rest on Berkeley Street at the Gaelic School.

If you use this service - be aware.

First Bus proposed solution to the 'missing' section of the 9 route is to re-route the eastbound 42 along Argyle Street and St Vincent Street while the westbound service will run along Bath Street and Berkeley Street to Elderslie Street (turning left at the Ashoka - can you imagine a bus on that corner?) and then right onto St Vincent Street - missing out the biggest centre of population - the flats at St Vincent Terrace and one of the bigger employers - Santander.

I wonder if anyone from First ever actually thinks about these things before acting.

First has had a change of heart. As of today the 9 operates via Argyle St, St Vincent St and Blythswood Hill just as before.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:10 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:I've just a conversation with a lovely lady from First Bus who was trying to justify changes to the number 9 route between Kelvingrove and Renfield Street from Sunday 12thSept 2010.

Instead of Argyle Street/ St Vincent St/ Blythswood Sq/ Renfield Street the route will be Sauchiehall Street/ Renfrew Street/ Renfield Street in order to serve the 'top end of the town'. Don't lots of buses passing Kelvingrove do this already or at least via West Regent Street?

There's also to be part routes to and from Charing Cross with a drivers rest on Berkeley Street at the Gaelic School.

If you use this service - be aware.

First Bus proposed solution to the 'missing' section of the 9 route is to re-route the eastbound 42 along Argyle Street and St Vincent Street while the westbound service will run along Bath Street and Berkeley Street to Elderslie Street (turning left at the Ashoka - can you imagine a bus on that corner?) and then right onto St Vincent Street - missing out the biggest centre of population - the flats at St Vincent Terrace and one of the bigger employers - Santander.

I wonder if anyone from First ever actually thinks about these things before acting.

First has had a change of heart. As of today the 9 operates via Argyle St, St Vincent St and Blythswood Hill just as before.

Similarly the no 42 has reverted back to operating along Sauchiehall Street towards the city, and from the city will run via Berkeley Street and Sauchiehall Street again - glad to see they are listening to customers
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:45 pm

yoker brian wrote:

Similarly the no 42 has reverted back to operating along Sauchiehall Street towards the city, and from the city will run via Berkeley Street and Sauchiehall Street again - glad to see they are listening to customers

Some of the drivers must have missed that memo. There were still 42s passing the Islay Inn at lunchtime.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:08 pm

I was on a 9 coming from Hope Streetl on Thursday morning

Everything was going fine until he was on Bath Street before Holland St, it was at this point there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth among my fellow passengers with comments such as:

"Haw driver you've taken the wrang turning" or

"Hey bigman - dae they no gie yis a map afore letting y"ou out of Poland"

The driver had simply taken the wrong turning and was now in Holland St, being the helpful chap I am, I tried to assist.

The driver explained he'd just moved onto this route and wasn't too sure - one of his colleagues had told him to turn right at the church. Obviously his colleague had meant him to turn into Sauchiehall Street at Henry Wood Hall, and not Renfield St Stephens, the guy was genuinely embarrased and this wasn't helped by my fellow passengers shouting at the poor guy.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:30 pm

I'm not sure FirstBus are listening at all.

I complained about the number 16 having been changed to a 23. I didn't protest about the change of route, although it means I now have to take 2 buses to get to and from a specific part of the city. I complained about their 'Summer' service, which cut the frequency from 20 mins to 30 mins and cut to 1 per hour after 6 o'clock and on Sundays (the number 16 was 1 per half-hour after 6 and on Sundays).

FirstBus said the service was changed because of the school holidays, although the main passenger use hereabouts is by seniors (and I'm not one yet!), for whom I believe they are paid subsidies from the Government? They also said the service would revert to a frequency of 20 mins from 14th August. Well, it has --- and it hasn't. The 20 minute service is only between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. After that, it's back to every 30 minutes, with the last bus into the City Centre being (from our nearest stop) at 9.59 p.m., which I am guessing means the last bus leaving the City Centre will be not too long after. Tough if you are on a night out.....

I've spoken to a few people about this at the bus stop and more than once have been told that when they phoned to complain they were told that the people on this route use their cars, not buses! I'm guessing that they are going to make the service so bad they can cut it altogether, and it is the only bus that serves the corridor from Partick to Anniesland, two main local shopping areas.

Also, it is another one of those services which runs on two different routes, one to Blairdardie and one to Summerston, so they felt justified in telling me that the 'Winter' service would actually see a 23 running every 10 minutes (Yeah, if you live on the right side of Byres Road!)

When I go through to Edinburgh, I see a very efficient overall service run by Lothian Buses - how about asking them to start serving Glasgow too?? :evil:
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:41 pm

I mentioned earlier that I reckon some of the changes are designed to force people to take two buses, and pay two fares - or buy a daily/ weekly/ etc ticket, and that would seem to be reinforced by the publicity (which I haven't fully read) about heavily discounted tickets being available at local newsagents.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby busdriver » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:55 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again, bus companies are run for profit and companies such as First Group exist only so long as they continue to make a profit for their shareholders, public service doesn’t come into it.

On the other hand Lothian Regional Transport, is the only municipal bus company in Scotland 91% owned and paid for by the council taxpayers of Edinburgh and the Lothian's and is a public service which exists to serve the needs of its owners i,e, the people of Edinburgh and surrounding council's. Can anyone see the distinction?
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:12 am

Bring back the corpy & clippies
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)